How fast can you play the game?

Started by Dweller_Benthos, June 07, 2010, 12:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Quote from: fragger on June 28, 2010, 06:21:49 PM
This is a tad irrelevant

Why did you bring it up, then?

HEHE, can't resist that kind of thing ;D ;D ;D You're right, he does remind me of him too LOL  :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on June 28, 2010, 08:19:30 PM
This is a tad irrelevant

HEHE, can't resist that kind of thing ;D ;D ;D You're right, he does remind me of him too LOL  :-X

... and here we go offtopic-ing  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

What..? Where? When?! Why??! WHO?!?!?

;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

Get your own topic to go off-topic on!!! lol

Now that you mention it, he sorta does look like Charlie Sheen.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

fragger

Quote from: Art Blade on June 28, 2010, 08:19:30 PM
This is a tad irrelevant

Can't help it, I'm just an irrelevent kind of guy. Oops - I meant irreverent.

Art Blade

indeed D_B must think how very rude we are to go off his topic all the time. You know what? I might tell my mates to come over and tell some more irrelevant stuff here  ;D

Dweller_Benthos

Absolutely, makes it more fun that way. I can see trying to keep on-topic in "serious" discussion boards like software support or something like that, but this is just fun and who cares?
D_B

Art Blade

Well said.. I think having fun is the best we can hope for. As long as we have members like yourself and others who keep posting here, I don't worry  :) Usually I split topics that went off topic, but what happened here is.. there is no subject I could imagine for a spin-off  :) Just too random stuff  ;) At least we keep this topic alive until more details regarding "how fast can you play the game" come up  :)

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, right now I'm doing other things like video editing and don't have a lot of time to play, plus I'm gone all weekend for the 4th, so I won't be really back until Tuesday, then there's things to catch up on, then more stuff, then maybe by next Thursday I might be able to play again....

Stupid real life, getting in the way of my gaming!
D_B

Art Blade

At least you've got something to look forward to  ;D

Dweller_Benthos

That's true, and I did get to play for a half hour last night, so there is that.

I did make a little discovery about the teleport function in the trainer, though. I found that if you jump in the air and save your teleport point while at the top of the jump (using high jump, of course, didn't try it with normal jump height) that teleporting to that location gives a lot less chance of materializing underground, which is a big help. I think the teleport is just a little off and if you are standing on the ground when saving your point, you might end up underneath it when you jump to that point. At least I tried it a couple of times, once from Sepoko to the Marina and it worked. That saved a lot of time getting back to report on the artifact mission. Just hit the key and POP you're back at the marina and waiting for all the objects to get redrawn. It looks kinda funny to appear there and there's nothing but the ground under your feet, then the buddies start to appear, leaning on or sitting on nothing, then the furniture, then the building, then the rocks & trees. Pretty funny.
D_B

Art Blade

Nice, hehe  ;D Sounds like part of a film, perhaps Matrix, when you load a training environment around you  :)

Dweller_Benthos

Once I get caught up on things, since I was away for the weekend and plan to be away next weekend as well, I need to find some time, but I'm going to give the teleport and the game engine the ultimate test: save a point near the prison or some place, maybe the far south bus stop, or near the edge of the map down there, then go all the way to the northern map to above Petro Sahel and see if the teleport will take me across maps. I've never tried that before, interesting to see what happens.

Sometimes when you teleport in, you can walk around until everything else catches up with you, but other times you get paused and have to wait for the "Loading...." animation to get the landscape in place before you can move again.
D_B

fragger

I'm curious to see if you make it to the other map, or end up in some sort of trippy Twilight Zone-type place.

Dweller_Benthos

More than likely, it will just crash, lol. But three outcomes are possible:

1. It works and the teleport completes as expected.
2. Teleport completes but rematerialization occurs underground.
3. Game crashes.

I just may be able to squeeze some game time in tonight, let's see how it goes.

Well, I found out. It didn't crash anyway. Apparently, the north & south are separate and you can only cross between the two at the road in the desert. I saved a teleport point in the south by the bus station and then ran all the way to the north by Petro Sahel and hit the button.... and appeared in the north map but at the same coordiantes as I saved in the south. So, you can't cross the north/south border that way, but I did jump back and forth across the whole northern map a couple times. Enough for the stuff & mercs around Petro Sahel to respawn so I could have fun with them again and again.

Oh yeah, I found out if you save a teleport point while standing on a rock or building, you will appear inside the rock or building. Good thing there's a noclip cheat as well. So, the safest teleport point to save is while jumping and over solid ground.

Next thing to try is a teleport over/under water, hehe.
D_B

fragger

So teleporting between the maps isn't allowed. That's a shame, it could have made for some interesting scenarios.

You ran all the way from Bowa to Petro Sahel? That should qualify you for the Marathon ;D Keep us posted about the water teleport, it'll be curious to see if you can rematerialize under-underwater!

PZ

You might be correct there partner - I seem to recall something similar, but like you, am not sure of the identity of the buddy.

Dweller_Benthos

I'm going to have to get in a truck and turn on no vehicle damage to get under water, then save the teleport point while there. Going to try in & out of the truck, see how that works. I never tried a teleport into a point that was saved while in a vehicle, so that's an experiment to do as well. I imagine it will just teleport me to that spot with no vehicle there, or into the vehicle and I'll have to use noclip to get out of it.

I took the bus from the southern station in Bowa to the one just north of Sefapane then ran across the border and up to Petro Sahel. With fast run & high jump it doesn't take more than a few minutes to run across the map as long as you have no obstacles in the way.

Funny thing, and probably due to me using the cheats, is that the meat wagon truck is stuck at the map crossover point, along with the sandstorm. Whenever I go there, the truck is still there and sometimes the road patrol that runs that way has collided with it and the guys are standing around looking confused.

D_B

Art Blade

I like your attitude, D_B :) Experiments form a good part of the special OWG-experience :)

Regarding N/S map changes I recall having experimented with that long ago but without trainer. I remember that the game crashes if you had a mission going in one map and went to the other map: It wouldn't save properly and so on, so I did travel between maps but never "exported" a mission from A to B to avoid crashes. It is interesting what you found out, that the game stores coords regardless of the map, which is why you materialised around the same spot on the map you had previously created a teleport point on the other map.

I just had the idea of a map overlay, see what coords are used/shared on both maps. Maybe there lies the explanation why some huge tanks such as over at the Post Office don't respawn after they blew up, unless you left the map and returned (complete map respawn).

Maybe there are some things for you to find out :)

mandru

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on July 12, 2010, 12:11:25 PM

"the meat wagon truck is stuck at the map crossover point, along with the sandstorm. Whenever I go there, the truck is still there and sometimes the road patrol that runs that way has collided with it and the guys are standing around looking confused."

Really?

I'd like to see that.  I've got a package for those guys that I'd like to deliver.  :-*
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, I'll have to look into it next time I play, see what happens.

The meat wagon glitch is almost for sure because I had god mode or other trainer cheat on while the cut scene played out. Every time I go back to the north map, there the truck is, waiting, doing nothing witha  bunch of dead bodies in the back. If I hang around long enough, the dust storm starts up, pretty funny. Then the road patrol sometimes drops by and we have some fun :-)
D_B

Art Blade

fragger

Tags:
🡱 🡳