Time of Day in Game

Started by Ricamundo, May 16, 2009, 03:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricamundo

Is there any way of telling the TOD or time of night, without going inside a safehouse? I do nearly all mish's at night, and i usually don't even start a mish if it's going to take a while, and it's later than say, 2 am.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Art Blade

All underground locations have beds, hence a clock to check.

Else, check the sun... it rises in the east, is highest at 12:00 and sets in the west. Open your map, turn east or west, and look at shadows/sun to guess the time :)

Best go to a house with a bed, check the time, then go out and check the sun so you can compare what e.g. 4pm "looks like".
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

spaceboy, I see you're replying... I've just edited the previous post, so maybe you want to re-read :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

Thanks Art.  No I think your 100% right, i can't think of any other way.   Ricamundo, I say play on...it's quite an experience finish a mish at dawn and take a satisfying early morning stroll back to town or a safehouse.

btw, Art how did you know I was replying on this one.  I hadn't hit post yet....your like the all seeing eye  :o
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

haha, you were kinda shinin' thru the boards  ;D

no, seriously: I was looking at "who's online" and there the current actions are displayed inluding time when you started doing it...

Art Blade

PS: Ricamundo, you made me reconsider, I tested and added another cheat  ;)

JRD

I agree with spaceboy... just go for it Ricamundo... its great to start a mission during night time and see the sun rising or vice versa.... keep the pace of the game and don't worry about light.
Besides, the FC2 world is so beautyful at dusk / dawn, it would be just sad to miss a firefight then ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

I also agree with the other guys - I've started playing in a game where I don't change the time of day at all - just go through the world with the day/night cycles set by the game.  The fun part is that I sometimes look forward to night time with relief knowing that a difficult mission has been issued.  Sometimes after a mission, the sun is just rising as I head back to town - really adds to the level of immersion!

Ricamundo

Thx guys. I had forgotten about the Underground houses. Actually i just used the house on Sehlakalase Island as it has most of the comforts of home, except ammo, and a front door.

Next time, i may try doing the playthru the natural way, and do the mish's as they come, day or night. But right now, i'm @ 92%(on infamous) and going to meet the jackal at the prison. i've died so many times, i can find the quick load button without even looking. :P

I have to say, when i reach this point in the game, or even a bit earlier, i get a feeling of loss, like my daily fix of FC2 is coming to an end(again) Once i finish, i'll probably playthru another game or 2 of FEAR or something else for a couple of weeks, till i cant stand not playing FC2.

I already miss the best part about an FC2 experience, getting out of Pala alive after that first bout of malaria and meeting Dr. J for the first time.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

PZ

I guess that I'm much like you Ricamundo - I too fee a sense of impending loss as the game nears it's end.  The last time or two, I've not even progressed all the way to the end, stopping at 92% or in one instance, 96% and then loading a save from a couple of months ago.  The neat thing about that is that I have a load out that I don't typically use today, am in a part of the FC2 world where I need to get my bearings, adn start off.

spaceboy

Quote from: Art Blade on May 16, 2009, 04:51:26 AM
haha, you were kinda shinin' thru the boards  ;D

no, seriously: I was looking at "who's online" and there the current actions are displayed inluding time when you started doing it...

actually, I didn't know you could do that, I'll have to check it out. thanks. 

Also, ricamundo - I forgot your playing on infamous so with that in mind I can understand better why you were so concerned about maintaining the cover of night.  I would never have gotten to 92% on infamous  Good job  :-X
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

DKM2

The sun rises and sets when Chuck Norris tells it to.

"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

Art Blade

the hard guys :)

Chuck Norris doesn't eat honey. He chews bees.

DKM2

I'm going to be sorry I woke the beast, aren't I...
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

Ricamundo

Actually, PZ, i was considering doing just that. Once i get to the last meeting with the J man where you have to choose the battery or diamonds, the rest is pretty anti-climactic.

Space, TBH, Infamous isn't really too bad, although it seems like if one of the mercs coughs on you, you're falling down dead. ::) Thank jebus for F5/F9, or i'd never have gone beyond easy setting. ;) I really miss the crosshair tho, so i'll be dialing it back down to med/or hard next time. 6 shots with the Dart is a bit skimpy too(with upgrade).

Art Blade

I have something interesting for you, Ricamundo (and everyone else)

Two things:

1) you can actually play real time (PC cheat "timescale") which makes it easy to time your missions

2) carefully decide whether to take the bus or a different transport. If you travel by bus, the game charges quite an amount of game time for your ticket... I'm about to post a detailed info in "Questions" and will link there once I've finished that :)

retiredgord

That's a very good idea.  I noticed that time on the bus was longer.  It set up my night missions in first playthru. Taking a bus and staying in a S/h was the way I passed the daytime.  This run I'm enjoying the day scenes and trying to do everything during the day. Quite a change but still over 50 hrs and just a shade over 50% done.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

Art Blade

done posting the Bus question :)

read here

Tags:
🡱 🡳