Diamonds: How Many? Predecessor Missions: How?

Started by eor123, December 16, 2009, 12:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eor123

Two questions:

Been trying to collect all the diamonds in Leboa -Sako. Using the map that was posted here, I have found 112 briefcases for a total of 375 diamonds. I "think" that is all of them but am not sure.

Anyone know the count?

I have never seen the envelope icon for a predecessor mission even though I have been looking for it. Never received a phone call about one.  I have downloaded the additional content as I have the additional weapons and vehicles available.

I've done all of the side missions, buddy missions, and main missions in Leboa-Sako. I'm down to meeting Ruben at the Lumber Yard where he is going to tell me about the Mike's Bar / Pala Church choice so I'm about finished with Act One.

Did I just miss them or do I need to take some other action to activate them? 

FYI: XBox360

Thanks.
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

PZ

Although I don't know the count for sure, I believe that there are 1000 total between Leboa and Bowa (northern and southern maps).  There is a number in each of the 9 regions on each map that lists the total for that region - add them up and you'll have the total for the area.

The Predecessor missions require that you enter unlock codes - I believe that there are links (or maybe even the codes themselves) on the site, but you can also do a search on the 'net to come up with them.

eor123

Thanks for the info.

I had no idea that is what those numbers meant. Doh!  :D

I thought they were map page reference numbers of some kind.

I saw a reference to the codes but didn't know how to enter them. I will look into it further.

Thanks again.

I really like this game. I bought it used for $15 and have spent more time playing and enjoying it than any of the other FPS's I played...and I've played most of the better known ones.

And yes...according to the map legend [ that I now understand] I have collected all of the available diamonds in Leboa-Sako. Even with the maps that show their location, getting them all wasn't easy.

Sure wish the game had a quick save option at least for when you take off on those damn hang gliders.
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

PZ

We're glad to help - and as far as FC2 fans, I doubt that you'll find a more hardcore bunch on the Internet that you'll visit with here.  FC2 remains my favorite game of all time.

As to entering the codes, I'm on PS3 and PC so I'm not sure about XBox (someone will answer), but in general, there should be some kind of menu item that refers to "Promotional content" or words to that effect.

EDIT: I just found this in one of the posts - might be worth a try

You might also enjoy this download

JRD

Let me add to what PZ just said (wrote?  :P )

If you find a briefcase it can contain 1, 2 or 3 diamonds inside. However, you'll see only one diamond displayed in your map, which makes knowing the exact amount on each map a tough task. And yes... there are 1,000 gems out there to be picked, which is the exact amount of diamonds you need to purchase every single item at the armory.
The best you can do is find a way to have the map with you (printed, on your lap top or any other way) and do a visual scan, sector by sector, counting the diamonds you have and check with D_B's map.

Sounds like w@&k, but actually I did that with a cold beer in one hand and listening to some good ol' Rock and Roll on a rainy saturday evening... some quality time, I tell you  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

eor123

With your assistance, I was able to unlock the additional missions.

You have to go to the "Promotional Content" sub menu and when prompted to enter a password, enter the codes that are provided in the referenced post. I had seen those codes but didn't understand where to enter them.

In my case,

6aPHuswe

unlocked the additional missions.

Thanks!

PZ

Our pleasure - someone correct me if I'm wrong - I believe that there are 7 (possibly 9 - my memory fails me) Predecessor missions.  In Leboa, you'll see the envelope icon near the southeast bus stop - there is a shack with 3 mercs guarding, plus a buggy.  Find the envelope on the table and pick it up.  Open your main map and you should see a white mission icon, which is your destination.  Once there, you'll find a dead body plus the tape, which you collect.

In Bowa, the same pattern, but the envelope is found at the Post Office.  My usual routine is to quickly scan the map each time to see if an envelope shows up.  You can do these missions simultaneously with others, so don't worry about doing it by itself - I usually just plan my activities so that when I'm already in the area, I can make a short trip to pick up the tape.

EDIT: one last thing - I've heard reports that some people need to enter more than one code in order to have the opportunity for all missions - don't know if that is correct.

Art Blade

Thank you, eor132.

You are the one finally answering the question once posted by our member shiba (what to do to unlock those predecessor missions using xBox360).  :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

sidenote: sorry eor 1,2,3. I've noticed we managed to misspell your name at least twice now. We may be good at gaming, but hell, we can't even count straight to three  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

We all make typos. But please, just don't spell me "fagger"...

Art Blade

haha, reminds me of that common line some people use, "correct me if I'm wrong"  ;D

PZ

mandru

eor123, the only way I can be sure I've gotten all the diamonds is by going to each of the 19 grids of the map and looking at the number with the diamond by it in the upper left corner.

As in this example:

[smg id="1543" align=center width=210]

The black square in the upper left corner says 14 diamonds, I count the scattered diamonds on the map to see if that total number matches. I know in this case the picture is small but all 14 little blue diamonds are there so I know that these have all been gathered.

It can be confusing but the 14 in this example means that there are 14 diamond cases and has been stated earlier in this thread:

Quote from: JRD on December 16, 2009, 01:18:40 PM

If you find a briefcase it can contain 1, 2 or 3 diamonds inside. However, you'll see only one diamond displayed in your map, which makes knowing the exact amount on each map a tough task. And yes... there are 1,000 gems out there to be picked, which is the exact amount of diamonds you need to purchase every single item at the armory.
The best you can do is find a way to have the map with you (printed, on your lap top or any other way) and do a visual scan, sector by sector, counting the diamonds you have and check with D_B's map.

I check for missing cases with my hand held for the count then if I'm short I use Dweller_Benthos' maps that JRD mentions to figure out what I've missed.

Let us know if we've gotten close to an answer you can use eor123, if we dig around in this cell depleted brain pool we can usually come up with something that resembles a good answer.  ;D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

mandru

eor123, I just realized that there is another way you can tell if you've grabbed all the diamonds or if not how many are left.

Each time you pick up a diamond case you should get a message of how many diamonds you currently have and also how many diamonds are left to collect.

It's a bit hard for me to keep track of that message every time it appears usually because I'm so busy trying to get on to my next task that I totally over look it but it is a good resource to be aware of when you think you are getting close to having gotten them all.

I hope this has helped. :)
- mandru

eor123

Yes, the info has helped.

Of most use was knowing that the number in the upper left hand corner of the map grids refers to cases of diamonds.

Even having a map showing their locations, collecting them all is still quite a task. Props to those who found them all by wandering around. That is a real achievement, IMO.

When I entered the above-mentioned code, it confirmed that I had unlocked the additional missions but I did so near the end of Act I. I am assuming I will not be able to play them there.

I haven't yet seen the envelope icon in Act II.

I was shooting for a "perfect" play through -- all diamonds, all missions, etc.

Guess I'll have to try again sometime.

I have completed all side missions and have been collecting diamonds. I only have 9 cases to go. Keeping track of which ones I've found is a little tricky, Had to come up with a notation system to distinquish between those that had been collected AFTER the last save.

Had a "freeze up" that required me to go back and "re-collect" 4-5 cases from memory.  :D If I end up with a 1-2 case discrepancy, I bet that will be where it happened.

Art Blade

Hehe, something like that happened to me when I tried for the first time to get all those tapes. I was pretty sure I had them all but in the end I was short of one. The proverbial needle in the haystack...  :D

PZ

Well, the Predecessor missions allow you to enjoy a bit more of the FC2 world, so in that sense they are well worth the effort.  I can't even remember how many times I've played through, let alone the number of times I've done partial plays.  I hope you have the same sense of enjoyment that many of us at OWG have experienced.  :-X

KingRat

Quote from: eor123 on December 16, 2009, 01:40:51 PM

You have to go to the "Promotional Content" sub menu and when prompted to enter a password, enter the codes that are provided in the referenced post. I had seen those codes but didn't understand where to enter them.

In my case,

6aPHuswe

Thanks!

According to the list posted here> http://www.msxbox-world.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12661
  that code gives you 4 extra missions while other codes give 6 bonus/extra...don't know how correct that is since I used D_B's reg hack on the PC.  :)

RedRaven

The Predecessor missions come into effect when you enter Pala, if the code is entered when you start a game the call comes after the tutorial section, so I would presume if your drive back into Pala you should get the first call. The tape will show on your map as a WHITE cassette, when you have it simply go back into Pala to get the next call and so on.

A while back I started a log of how many diamonds were in each case, so what better excuse to play FC2 again is there ?
Soon as Leboa-Sako is done will post it up for all who wish it. :-X
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

eor123

Quote from: KingRat on December 17, 2009, 11:49:06 PM
Quote from: eor123 on December 16, 2009, 01:40:51 PM

In my case,

6aPHuswe

Thanks!

According to the list posted here> http://www.msxbox-world.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12661
  that code gives you 4 extra missions while other codes give 6 bonus/extra...don't know how correct that is since I used D_B's reg hack on the PC.  :)

Once again the info here has been a great value.

I stopped on successfully entering the one code [ 6aPHuswe  ]

I went back and entered:

96CesuHu

It was also accepted and unlocked additional missions.

Of the codes that were listed those are the only two that were accepted on my Xbox 360.

Thanks again.

mandru

- mandru

Dweller_Benthos

FYI, everyone, there are 221 briefcases, just so you know.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

eor123

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on December 18, 2009, 12:09:41 PM
FYI, everyone, there are 221 briefcases, just so you know.

Got number 221 this afternoon. It was the one near the prison. I was expecting an achievement but got nothing more than an acknowledgment that I had gotten 221 of 221.

Somewhat anti-climatic.  :(

Guess I will have to wait for the "Wages of Conflict" achievement when I get paid for the last mission.

Art Blade

I had hoped that unlocking all safehouses and/or scouting all guard posts would result in a kind of reward, but no (at least not on PC).

eor123

There is a "Wanderer" achievement for unlocking the safe houses on XBox 360.

Tags:
🡱 🡳