Just Cause 3

Started by PZ, April 12, 2015, 08:51:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

I much rather recommend a note book. :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Problem is that I would forget where I put it, or even that I had one   :-()

Art Blade

Have someone remember it for you and advise when to remind you, then. :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

It would probably be better for me to just have them do it for me and take out the middle man  :-()

PZ

Steam's backup/restore method is a bit clunky. Looks like a much faster to copy games from one PC to another is to simply copy the game folder from it's location on the PC where it is installed plus it's associated appmanifest file to the destination PC. That way the Steam client on the destination PC already thinks the game is installed.

The backup procedure allows you to compress and chop into sizes for CD, DVD, etc, but the space savings is minimal.  For instance, the game folder for JC3 is a little over 50 gb and the compressed backup files total a little over 40 gb

PZ

OWGKID

LEGACY

fragger

I like TotalBiscuit, he's entertaining to listen to :-D

Interesting comments he made, particularly when he was going on about how the game should be fully open world mayhem instead of forcing a bunch of challenge missions on you to let you get at the really fun stuff - and those "frenzy" missions do look pretty darned boring. Racing through hoops has been done to flipping death :D Just once - just once - I'd like to see a developer make a game like this with the fewest possible restrictions, even none at all, just design it around a philosophy of letting the player totally do and get whatever they want to have the sort of fun they like. Does a game like this even really need a story? Does there have to be a point to it? If it says chaos on the box, then chaos is what you should find in it.

At least it doesn't bar you from half the map for half the game like Ubislop does.

Still, there should be tons of stuff to find, try and do, with heaps of fun to be had if you make it so. Once you jump through the hoops to get to the good stuff, it could be an experimenter's paradise :-() And graphically it does look fantastic. And huge.

Heh, I liked that giant transport plane he dropped on the highway :-() It might have been an Antonov An-124, couldn't quite tell. Pity it blew up... Those things are ridiculously big. I walked through one once at an air show. A bunch of people could have played cricket in there ???

PZ

I copied the game folder to the Surface Pro at w@&k and then came home to copy it to my gaming rig.  Interestingly from W7 (w@&k PC) to Surface took twice as long as from the Surface to the gaming rig, both W10 (took only a few minutes for 50gb). The network switch was the same. Started up Steam and it was there, ready to play with nothing else to install - what a refreshingly simple method.

Well, I played for a couple of hours last night and tend to agree with TB.  The side missions become available as you liberate areas, and I did not see one of them that piqued my interest. I hate races, and many if not most of them were such.  I did not see any side missions appear that looked like it had any substance to it like what was in JC2.

The graphics are beautiful, and despite the bad press regarding frame rates, bugs, etc., I had no issues and everything ran smooth as silk with all settings fully maxed.  I'm thinking that the developers programmed the game with nVidia in mind - who knows.

I'm not fond of the music like I was in JC2, and Rico looks more like  Rico from JC2 transformed into a pedophile.

So far I've liberated 2-3 towns which represents an entire region.  The liberation part is the most fun because of the new way the grapple hook works and the wing suit.  For instance, if you have two tall fuel tanks, you can hook to one holding R mouse button, target the next and let go of the button. The two are now connected (same as in JC2).  However, if you hold L shift, you can see the wires straining as the two tanks are pulled toward each other finally exploding.  I also did similar with generators, and it pulls the doors off, then you can see the transformers within and do the same as with the fuel tanks - cool.

So far, underwhelming

PZ

Well, I'm warming up to the game.  The side missions are not nearly as infuriating as in JC2 where you had to start over if you failed.  In JC3, if you die, you start over at the last checkpoint, which is reasonable.  Also, in the races you simply rack up points rather than a simple win/fail as in JC2. Consequently, the side activities are not so bad, and I am now willing to play them.

The grapple hook ability to reel in is fabulous - you can destroy most objects by doing so.  The combination of wing suit, parachute, and grapple makes it so you can rather effortlessly move rapidly across the landscape.

All in all, still not the best game, but it grows on you.  Here are a few random photos

https://goo.gl/photos/fm3PC1sTn62NY96R7

Art Blade

PZ

That was a funny side mission given while I was in another.  A stranded motorist asked me to get his car to the gas station, which was across the bridge. Hooking a cable between the two vehicles, I started across the bridge, but my wire was too long - his car went off the bridge  >:D

The sarcastically thanked me saying that he needed that car  :laugh:

Art Blade

fragger

PZ

Just Cause 3 modding site is up and running.  Gibbed has already uploaded mods that make the game more interesting by taking out some of the foolishness.

http://justcause3mods.com/

OWGKID

So Gibbed decided to w@&k on JC3 this time ???? If I were to mod the game, I would add the "Portable Airstrike", an extremely overpowered rocket launcher from a game called Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction. It fired a mini nuke and it had 999 ammo in the magazine and reserve >:D  :laugh: :-D
LEGACY

PZ

I recall the multiple target rocket launcher mod in JC2 - was very effective, especially when super explosions were enabled

The further I get into the game, the more I like it.  You don't need to find all those annoying "collectibles" as in JC2, which were more of an eyesore than obstacle. This version has a really clean look.  You can also make the HUD go away altogether or have just the reticles.

PZ

The game is massive - I was just getting to the end of the 9 areas to liberate and was then going to go after the main missions.  Opened the map and zoomed out to discover that I'd only completed the smallest of the large land masses - one of them alone has 13 towns/bases to liberate.

This game will last a long time, and now that it is official that Gibbed is developing modding tools, I guess the sky will be the limit.

OWGKID

LEGACY

PZ

Now, those are my kind of weapons  >:D

fragger

Glad to hear you're getting into it and enjoying it PZ 8)

The game world in JC3 is reportedly quite a bit bigger than the one in JC2, and that was huge.

The way things are going, before long gaming worlds will be planetary in scope :-()

PZ

Thanks, fragger,

There was one mission that was initially a bit over the top - jets were flying overhead carpet bombing the area so there was no way you could walk around, so here I was, being attacked by air and land.  The only good thing was that as the jets kept trying to kill me, their friends on the ground suffered collateral damage, so I had little to mop up.

This appears to be truly open world in the best sense - you really need to figure out where to go and what to do.

fragger

Tags:
🡱 🡳