'Hell Yeah' and other fun moments

Started by Jim di Griz, June 14, 2012, 03:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim di Griz

Cheers for that - though how in hell you get past all those mercs shooting the s**t out of each other, then joining forces to take it out on you, is beyond me.

I reckon that's worth a kudos point right there  :)
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

mandru

The idea is that you kind of don't make it. :-D  I've actually managed to get out past all the mercs looking forward to the horizon and keeled over on one of the swamp boat piers to the sound of trucks arriving and foot steps to cart me away.

At this point in the game (still part of the tutorial) the malaria gets you if a bullet doesn't. Shoot the mercs you can and sprint to where you want to be as quickly as possible before the lights go out.  ;)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

Well done on completing the game Jim :-X :) So which did you choose, the car battery or the diamond case? Not that it makes a lot of difference, but I always choose the case simply because I prefer the fight along that route.

If you want to avoid the mercs in Pala at the start, there's an upstairs window in the hotel that you can jump out of. After climbing over the debris to get out of the first couple of rooms, make your way straight across to the opposite side of the landing (don't go downstairs). Inside one of those rooms is a window you can climb through which lets you drop to the ground in the alley behind the hotel. If you then go left, you can generally run along the alleys and right out of town , then head straight on to one of the bridges (the NW one) without drawing much fire - sometimes none. The dynamics of the game are such that it's never the same twice, but I find I generally cop the least amount of fire when I go that way. You'll pass out before you reach the end of the bridge and will come to at the Slaughterhouse, which I think also gives you the flamethrower (mandru? I may be totally wrong about that...)

It just occurred to me that I've never started at the Lumberyard ???? Must try that next time (by exiting Pala to the SE, I guess - if I can get to it). I don't know what special weapon will be available there, but I assume the "buddy breakout" will then take place at Fresh Fish.

Jim di Griz

Ta Fragger - I opted for the diamond case for pretty much the same reason; though having been through so much to get it from the Mike's Bar crowd, I wasn't going to let the Jackal just wander off with it  :) I still don't trust him...

I can still do either mission end though, as my gamesave stops at 96% and takes me back to safehouse I last saved at - so technically I can go back to the Jackal and do the other thing  ;)

I got out of town on the new save alright - straight out the window - the alley end was on fire so I went up some steps, then over a balcony and onto the street. Made it to the bridge intact  :-X

I'd guessed my character wouldn't make it far though, as the tutorial part needs to show you the ropes. This time I'm focusing on the tower and gun-shop missions first - then I'll start doing the others.

Predictably I haven't a clue about the special weapon found at the lumber yard - the Carl G? Slaughterhouse is indeed a flamethrower and Fresh Fish is the RPG.
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

fragger

Cheers Jim, and thanks for verifying the flamethrower at the Slaughterhouse. I'm glad to know that at least some of my neurons are still talking to each other :-()

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Jim di Griz

Sorry, the RPG is definitely at Fresh Fish - I've woken up there three times in a row now (which feels appropriate having just posted the intro clip to The Prisoner  :))

EDIT Apologies - it is the RPG - just started a playthrough on 'Insane' level and took that route which has me waking in the Lumber yard.

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Binnatics

I also had RPG all the times (3 I guess) I visited fresh fish. It was my natural starting area, and it took me quite some will to find another spot. Good read on your playthrough Jim!! I chose the battery twice, and don't remember what happened choosing the diamond case, although I did at least once.

All this makes me long for another playthrough (again). That'll have to wait until after my holiday ;)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Jim di Griz

Cheers Binn - glad you enjoyed.

The diamond case option leads you to some more annoying mercs  ;) I'll not say any more than that for fear of spoiling your next playthrough.

I've halted my second playthrough now, having done all of the northern cell-tower missions as I have some catching up on a few other games to do - then it's holiday time and after that I'll be going back into cause some more trouble wherever I find it. I do like the way the game feels quite different dependant upon how you approach any particular mission. Despite having unlocked all GPs during the first playthrough, I had the distinct feeling I had found a few new ones this second time around. It was only after completing the clear out and exploring the area afterwards that I realised each time that I had been there before  :)

I particularly enjoyed arriving at the bridge north of Pala (the one with the diamond case under it) and creeping up behind the sniper on the rocks above the GP - machette time!

fragger

Stop talking about holidays, you guys 8-X Spare a thought for those antipodeans who are still stuck in the throes of winter (well, what passes for it here anyway) :-D

Quote from: Jim di Griz on July 14, 2012, 11:03:17 AM
I do like the way the game feels quite different dependant upon how you approach any particular mission

That's one of the things that keeps me coming back to this fine game :-X

fragger

I may well be the only one here still picking up this game from time to time, but pick it up I did last night (after several months' abstinence) and almost right away I encountered something I'd never seen before.

I drew the comm tower mission to knock off the suit in Sefapane, so I followed my usual approach by climbing into the church bellfry, sniping the target, then using the flare gun to light up the town. But blow me down - after a while an AT roared into town, coming up this street:

[smg id=4795 align=center width=600]

It first appeared from the far end, coming towards me, and so taken aback was I that I didn't think to snap a screenie until it had turned around and was going back the other way. It went all the way back to the far intersection, where it turned right before stopping out of sight (on the main road in, as it turned out).

I've never seen that happen before ???

I wonder if FC3 will continue to surprise like that after three-and-a-half years of playing...?

nexor

I make a point of doing at least one mission a week in between other games and lost count of how many playthroughs I've done by now    :-X

Art Blade

fragger, I've seen that sometimes the locals take the stationary AT which is behind the target's house (the one I usually love to lob a grenade at from the roof so all hell breaks loose) and sometimes mercs succeed with their flares and help comes from out of nowhere. However, nice pic, matey :)

mandru

I've probably spent 20+ hours in FC2 just this week killing time (and many many mercs ;D ) awaiting the unexpectedly delayed release of AC3 for PCs.

While I've not seen a merc set of a flare inside the boundaries of a town that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.  My first though was what Art said about the AT on the far side of the faction building.

Lighting the town up with a flare gun?  Sounds like an entertaining pastime when I get back into the Southern half of the game.  I've not often carried a flare gun because of being disappointed by the discovery that my flare launches fail to call in an AT which in many cases would have saved me a lot of time hoofing it to my next ride.

Mercs launch a flare skyward they get an AT.  I launch a flare when stuck out in the middle of nowhere needing a lift and all I get is "Wow... Pretty!"  ???

I don't expect perfect but I do appreciate consistency.   ;)  :-X
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

That's cool; I also go into FC2 from time to time, and always appreciate the experience.  FC2 is probably the game that I have played the most of any single game.  :-X

fragger

I forgot there was an AT behind the HQ (as seen from the church tower) :-[ Still, I've never actually seen them use it before. Earlier this evening I did Hakim's side mish to get the documents out of the Sefapane HQ and again a merc jumped into the AT. Twice in just a couple of days ????

I agree mandru, about the only thing the flare gun seems good for is starting fires, and this it does very well :-() With all the flammables around Sefapane you can get some good chain-reactions going if you launch a bunch of flares from the tower, like over buildings to get at areas you can't normally target from up there :-X

PZ, I too have probably played FC2 more than any other game :)

PZ

During one of my plays through I used the flare pistol as my secondary weapon, and in each area started fires much as you describe.  My most memorable were Petro Sahel and the Rail yard both of which burn splendidly  :-()

Art Blade

proper line when launching a flare: "Allow me to enlighten you."  >:D

PZ

fragger

Tags:
🡱 🡳