Borderlands (all formats) Preview

Started by Fiach, October 23, 2009, 02:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

sure is :) Albeit, it might be nice to start over from square 1 if you want to avoid some mistakes commited in a previous through, or try a different strategy from start. Question is, can you get back to start without levelling opponents once you have played through? As an option?
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mmosu

The second playthrough would be no challenge at all if they didn't - I was level 36 when I finished the first playthrough, and shortly into the second I'm level 37 and I still have all my gear from the first one.

@ Art - you can load playthrough one or two as an option after completing the game, but if you use playthrough one there are no missions left in the world - it is still populated with enemies at the levels they were at in the beginning, but there are no tasks to be completed.  Load playthrough 2 and you get another crack at the story and all the missions, but you have to deal with the tougher opponents.  From what I understand there is also a playthrough "2.5" once you complete playthrough 2 - the world doesn't reset and there are no mission, but all enemies are at max level (50-52!) and the best drops are given out. 

Art Blade

thanks, mmosu. You know, I might still get that game one day  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mmosu

Playthrough 2 is turning out to be a beast!!  For the first time since the very beginning of playthrough 1, I'm not leveling up at a rate faster than the enemies I'm facing, so for the most part fights are on even ground.  My ammo expenditure is way up, I'm using med kits more often and running and jumping while shooting a lot more (which makes for some interesting situations - last night I was charging at a skag who was charging me, and at the last moment I jumped over him and fired a shotgun blast straight down into his back, instantly killing him).  I'm now pretty sure that the situation I described in my first playthrough where I was leveled up above where the game expected me to be at a given point (and therefore had a huge advantage) isn't going to happen this time.  The main reason would be that the amount of exp points seperating me from the next level is many times what it was the first time around, and as a result "level up!" is flashing on my screen less and less frequently as time goes on.  All in all, the challenge is much greater, but not unmanageable at this point although I 've had many tough scrapes already - will let you all know when I get to where I feel like I'm drowning 

Art Blade

could you level up faster again, playing co-op with your mate? :)

mmosu

It would still occur slowly, but not as slowly as if I were by myself.  Tougher opponents would appear by virtue of the fact there are two of us, but since we would be in a "post playthrough 1, pre playthrough 2" world, the enemies would still be lower than my now lvl 40 character, and therefore would level him slowly.  If I loaded playthrough 2 in co-op, my level 40 character would level more quickly, but then whoever was using my now lvl 20 Roland would soon be dangling at the end of a pike having to fight against level 35 and up enemies.  The best bet would be to go out with characters who are around level 40 and would be able to actually defend themselves!! 

Art Blade

I see. I think the game concept of levelling up is rather good, from what I read here.  :)

mmosu

It's definitely a good way of drawing out the game and limiting access to certain things - for example weapons have a level requirement attached to them, so you can't use a level 30 weapon until you reach level 30.  It also ups the addictive factor - last night I couldn't put it down until I finally hit level 40 (I have a few level 40 weapons I had been carrying around in anticipation of this  ;D  Celebrated by mowing down some bandits with my Skullmasher, which is a kind of sniping shotgun).

Art Blade

Oh, that sounds familiar, collecting stuff for later use and drooling with anticipation... I think the last time I had something similar was in FO3, with those power armours. I needed a training lesson for them in order to use any, but that lesson was yet to come. Still, I collected those items and when I finally was allowed to use power armour, man what a happy moment it was to put those on  ;D

mmosu

From what I've heard of FO3 (never played any of those personally) it sounds pretty similar. 

kingdaniel

Nice Review Fiach.  :-X  :-X

I totally agree with you. I LOVE this game. Lots of Weapons.  :)

Yes, even the enemies respawn too often here. Nonetheless, I'm enjoying this title to the Fullest.  Just AWESOME.  ;D

Cheers.

RedRaven

Check out the diamonds.....
[smg id=1853]
Not seen any this big in FC2 !!! ;D
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Fiach

just a heads up underdome dlc is available
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

RedRaven

Holy smoke batman! still not got Zombie island! On it now. cheers for the heads up Fiach.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

RedRaven

Well I'm now officially P@@@@@ off! >:(  Searched all over for both DLC's. Could only find the PC version on Steam, only to discover that it requires the Steam version, so did I buy the disc for no reason or what  :D
Not a happy bunny.

Fiach

sorry mate i dunno how the pc dlc works, i just saw it on the ps store, have you tried DIRECT TO DRIVE ?

Fiach

try the Gearbox website mate i cant access it on PS3, but i believe you may get it there.

RedRaven

Cheers Fiach, had been to the games official site and 2k games, but did not think to check Gerabox (Doh!).
Its on its way down now :-X .

Am a Happy bunny again ;D .

Fiach

Glad to hear it mate, have fun, the only good zombie is a dead one ..... oh they are already dead  :-* :D ;D

RedRaven

Lol. Will happily help them stay down! :-X
Its a 1gb download for PC so I'm expecting it to be good. not gone for the other one yet as it looks more for coop play and mostly still on single player mode. Roland at 15, Lilith at 10 (though she seems to deal with things better than Roland does - go figure)

Fiach

i havent read up on the new as i havent played Neds yet, cheers for mentioning coop as thats no use to me.

i only played roland to 5 so i dont know, lil plus SMG is awesome, i like the sniper guy too.

RedRaven

I think I miss-read the info about the second DLC, it actually says that it adds a new area for on-line gaming. It also adds places to stash stuff too ( but not sure if thats just multi-player or through out whole game).

mmosu

Quote from: RedRaven on January 08, 2010, 12:42:19 PM
I think I miss-read the info about the second DLC, it actually says that it adds a new area for on-line gaming. It also adds places to stash stuff too ( but not sure if thats just multi-player or through out whole game).

It's for the single player game too.  The Bank functions like extra storage for anything you want to keep but don't want to carry.  The arenas are good for online as well but you can battle by yourself against the horde too.  I just started playing in the Underdome two nights ago and so far it is tough!!

RedRaven

The bank function is needed. it seems every time I get an increase in how many things my backpack will carry, the bad guys and monsters start dropping more cool stuff!!
Just got to around level 23 with Roland, just killed 'Mad Mel' in Dahl Headland. Ended up standing on the ramp out side the arena and using a rocket launcher to finish him off.
Also the 'Class mods' are a good touch, first one I found has been the best one so far.

Fiach

i tried in the arena and got mauled, sniped him from out side, but got no weapon , went back and killed him legit, it was easy though, because between the first time and secod time i had a good knowledge of what to expect, so i could plan accordingly........... still no weapn drop though.

The nxt area is pretty cool  8)

Tags:
🡱 🡳