Borderlands (all formats) Preview

Started by Fiach, October 23, 2009, 02:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmosu

Yeah, I think co-op has a lot of potential, but I typically will finish the single-player game first before I will muck around in multiplayer

@ Fiach: I am still skipping over your "spoiler" post for the time being, I'm at level 19 and about to enter Headstone Mine to go after Sledge.  I'll check back to it after I wipe the floor with him  8)

Fiach

Cool mate, all it is basically, is one way to skin a cat, I'm sure there are many others, but its a particular cat I hae seen many players complain about their inability to skin :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

mmosu

Well I think I'm a few levels up from where the game expects me to be at this point, so maybe that cat will skin a little easier for me  ;D

Fiach

Yes, I think I was low teens then, but the good thing about the game, is that if you face a brick wall, you can level your way through it.

DLC is due shortly for Borderlands, called Neds Island, so if zombie slaying is your thang, then you will be in seventh heaven :)

RedRaven

hi all, still playing catch-up here at OWG, what do you guys reckon to the Vehicle combat? could you give me a run down? cheers :-X

Also has anybody played it on both PC & PS3 ? if so which do you think suits the game better?
Only have PC at the moment but PS3 is on its way so looking for good games to get for it.  :)
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Fiach

Vehicle combat doesnt really start until the second area, Dhal, but you get a vehicle about 3 missions into the game.

The vehicle controls are the same as the warthog in HALO, you use the camera to choose your direction, instead of the Left Stick, takes a bit of getting used to, but it makes more sense for an ATV as opposed to the traditional way, which is used for race track that only go in one direction.

You can spawn them at garages, which are dotted all over the map and in close proximity, you can leave your vehicle and explore on foot, if you arrive at a garage and are done exploring, you can either respawn a new vehicle or port to where you left your old one.

The are armed with either a machine gun or a rocket launcher, you choose which, when you spawn the vehicle, along with its colour.

In combat you lock on with the "A" or "X" button and the gun will track whatever you are locked on to and as long as you keep firing the gun will hit the target, regadless of what direction you drive in.

There is a vehicle boss fight too, which is pretty intense.

mmosu

@ Fiach:  DLC sounds great, this game definitely has large expandability potential.

mmosu

Ding Dong, Sledge is dead  ;D

I used a similar tactic Fiach, except I primarily used my Crimson Bruiser (it's a nasty little SMG if you haven't come across that one yet).  The trick is definately to keep your distance from him cause if he hits you with his namesake it's all over.  Felt like he went down fairly easy once I figured him out, but I was level 20 by the time I reached him.  Now it's time to mop up a few outstanding bounties before I head for Dahl . . .

RedRaven

Hurrah.....
My copy just turned up through the post :-X .
Based mostly on the write up its got here (and because it looks really good) Both myself and a friend have got Borderlands :) .
So a big :-X  to Fiach for all the info posted so far. Cheers

Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

RedRaven

Its fantastic ;D , just short of hitting level 3 and enjoying every minute of it. Makes for a nice change of pace compared to what usually play.Like the comic-style graphics and the humour in it, was laughing loads after just watching the intro.  :) :) :)

Fiach

@mmosu

Nice one mate :)
Well due to the randomization of the weapons, I'll probably never see it. On Mordecai, I just use Shotgun and Sniper, less dilution of the experience for the weapons, if you dont use too many.

As regards SMG's, they are awesome with Lilith, with her elemental skills and affinity for the SMG, bullets come out of it, like its a fire hose at a G8 summit, add the elemental damage to the proc rate and you will see the damage numbers literally pouring out of the target.

@RedRaven, glad you are enjoying it, what class are you guys playing?

RedRaven

First instinct was to use the sniper (gotta love that beard  ;D ).
But went with Roland to start, he seemed a good balanced option. Will use him for a few levels then start with a different one.
the little Robot is funny as hell :)

Fiach

Nice, keep us posted on what he is like to play, I have only used Lilith and Mordecai.

Just a wee tip for you, I mentioned it before, buttry to confine yourself to maybe two weapons if possible.

The more you use a weapon, the game increases your ability with that weapon, so if you use too many different types, you are diluting your abilities, if that makes sense.

mmosu

Agreed on that.  I have been using mostly a SMG/sniper/revolver combo - concentrating on 3 weapon types doesn't dilute the exp points too much.  Right now it's the Crimson Bruiser (which has high damage, a 55 round mag, and a scope superior to that of my best sniper rifle), Vicious Sniper (which has a short-range scope but deals massive damage and has a very fast cycle rate, which is very handy), and the Bloody Revolver (which deals damage second only to my sniper rifle and has a mid-range scope). So I feel like I've got something for just about every situation, and my stats keep climbing since I'm essentially ignoring rocket launchers, repeaters, shotguns, and combat rifles. 

@ Raven:  the intro got me too, I cracked up when they ran over the skag with the bus and drug it for miles  ;D

Art Blade

Quote from: mmosu on November 28, 2009, 07:55:14 PMthey ran over the skag with the bus and drug it for miles  ;D

sounds familiar... yes, here it is:

Quote from: Art Blade on October 26, 2009, 03:13:33 PM
Quote from: mmosu on October 26, 2009, 12:43:51 PM
drug him for a good long way, he he  ;)

you've given him syrettes? Another glitch?

;D ;D ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mmosu

Ah yes, that brings back memories . . . the sweet sounds of a merc's head bouncing off every root, rock, and pothole in the road as I try to kick what's left of him free from the door of my jeep.  He really wanted those syrettes, friggin' junkie  ;)

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

RedRaven

loving this game more and more, the little intro you get when you meet Nine toes had me laughing.

@Fiach - Roland is good at getting the job done, got a Hvy 340 machine gun and the SG14 shotgun. Also carrying a Lady Finger pistol ( dont laugh ! its got a good high power sight on it ).

Took me a while to remember about the turret too, comes in handy when there is 4 or more bad guys and creatures coming to play with your internal organs, specially weaker Bandits and Skags (who so far stop to attack the turret giving plenty of time to pump a couple of shotgun shells into them. I like the way the turret can be upgraded too, helping out with health and ammo regeneration.

Well on to the next mission ;D

Fiach

Yeah the 9 toes intro is cool, that is a great pistol, will do you for a fair while :)

mmosu

Oh man, this game just keeps getting better and better...

Made it to a town called New Haven a couple of days ago, and by town I mean a group of huddled shanties in the middle of a landfill.  And just to highlight the crap-tacular nature of this dump, the first local I encountered greeted me with a sardonic "Hey, welcome to hell". 
So after exploring awhile I started taking jobs posted by the residents.  The first jobs were simple enough, but still appropriate given the setting - things like turning the towns generators back on and unclogging the pipes at a nearby pumping station to prevent the flow of human refuse through New Haven from getting any worse.  So I completed a few more of these more mundane tasks, and before I knew it I had been hired to go to a place called Tetanus Warren and kill a guy named King Wee Wee  :-\
Can't wait to see what kind of freak show I run into next!

RedRaven

Quote from: mmosu on December 03, 2009, 08:51:26 PM
and before I knew it I had been hired to go to a place called Tetanus Warren and kill a guy named King Wee Wee  :-\
Can't wait to see what kind of freak show I run into next!

Lol ;D

mmosu

Imagine my surprise to find that Tetanus Warren is litterally a series of tunnels burrowed through an enormous heap of rusting scrap metal  :-\  Oh well, was able to farm a ton of weapons and increase my storage deck capacity by rescuing another Clap-Trap, so the fact that King Wee-Wee was a rather anticlimactic fight didn't bother me.  On to more challenging endeavours...

Fiach

Yes, you are probably too high level for there mate.

mmosu

Getting to him was definately the hardest part.  Maybe that fight is designed to be easier as a joke? You know, the locals hire you to take care of this guy, and he turns out to be two and a half feet tall and has a gun that shoots pixie dust or whatever the heck it was . . .
Anyway that status quo of me being up a couple of levels from where I'm supposed to be has continued into this part of the game.  I'm now ready to head into Krom's canyon and I'm currently high level 28 (if I fart I'll be at level 29), and all of the missions I've done lately have been listed at a lower experience level than I was at when I attempted them (many of them got the "trivial" label with me being >3 levels up).  Guess it pays at the beginning to spend hours wandering aimlessly around Fyrestone and the surrounding areas shooting skag pups and leveling up!  I fully expect this boon to run out and the game to catch up at some point, but for now my progress has been unhindered and I haven't hit any of those "come back after your balls have dropped" moments you typically encounter in RPG's either.   8)

Fiach

LOL :)

Poor old Nine Toes had to wait for al three to drop, by the time you got to him :D

Tags:
🡱 🡳