Welcome to Batman: Arkham City at OWG

Started by JRD, August 11, 2011, 03:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Batman Arkham City is a sequel to 2009`s Batman Arkham Asylum.

The story follows the events of the first game but now on an open world environment - Gotham City - which is especially designed to allow Batman to move swiftly through rooftops, gargoyles and dark streets.

It`s a third person action game with heavy focus on melee combat with you being able to pull amazing stunts off with the cape crusader  >:D

Here is a video showing some gameplay.... wicked!  >:D >:D >:D

Batman Arkham City E3 Gameplay Demo in High Definition

This is the teaser!

Batman: Arkham City Teaser Trailer
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Art Blade

Enjoy the game and boards, guys (and gals)  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

wuuhuuuuuuuuuuuuu, this is going to be awful... awfully nice  :-X ::)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Binnatics

Lol, I missed the message about starting a childboard for the game, I must remeat myself; wuuhuuuuuu, this is going to be Great, Great, Great!!!!!  :-X
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

JRD

Ok, answering a few questions I have about the game

Arkham City - Environment and Gameplay

Batman: Arkham City will not have any form of Multiplayer. Rocksteady is focusing on delivering a great single-player experience.
    The main story will take 20+ hours to complete.
    The HUD (heads-up display) has been improved, including a fade out Gadgets selection menu and a new Combos meter.
    Players will be able to set the Batsignal as a waypoint.
    Arkham City will be five times the size of Arkham Asylum.
    Arkham City will be explorable right from the beginning.
    Arkham City will be divided into several territories, each owned by a gang, that are individualized based on the gang in charge.
    Arkham City's story will approximately take place 80% outdoors and 20% indoors.
    Batman's gliding has been improved, it is his main form of transport in the game.
    Catwoman utilizes her whip to travel around Arkham City.
    Batman will have a new move called the "Grapple Boost" where he fires his grappling gun at an environmental object, grapples to the target then hurls himself off.
    Batman can perch on more objects such as wires, billboards and gargoyles.
    It has been said that players will be able to travel from one side of the city to the other without touching the ground.
    Catwoman is playable, her story is only 10% of the game.
    One of Batman's new moves is the Dive Bomb. In the air, he'll be able to target an NPC and 'dive' at them.
    Gang territories will change in both appearance and size as the game progresses.
    There are many side missions in Arkham City. One of which involves Mr Zsasz and payphones, another in which Batman and Bane team up to track down contraband shipping.
    Arkham City is full of little hints. For example, when entering Crime Alley, a button prompt allows Batman to pay respects to his parents.
    There will not be any drivable vehicles in Arkham City.
    One of Catwoman's first side-missions will involve tracking down prisoners' belongings in Arkham City.

Gadgets

New gadgets include Smoke Pellets, Broadcast Analyzer and the Remote Electrical Charge.
    Smoke Pellets are thrown to create a distraction, useful when under enemy fire.
    The REC (or Remote Electrical Charge) acts like a taser shotgun.
    Players will start the game with the main gadgets (except Multiple Batarangs and Sonic Batarang) from Arkham Asylum.
    The gadgets returning from Arkham Asylum have been improved (e.g. Remote Control Batarang now has a boost function).
    Gadgets returning include: Batarangs, Batclaw, Cryptographic Sequencer, Explosive Gel and the Line Launcher.
    The Cryptographic Sequencer's only known upgrade is the ability to hack into enemy radio frequencies.
    The Remote Controlled Batarang has a few upgrades including a Boost function, brake and 180 degree turn.
    The Line Launcher has been heavily upgraded since the last time we saw it, Batman is still able to use it to quickly get from one place to another. Arkham City's environment opens up a whole new range of movement and strategic possibilities. The Line Launcher also has a slow-motion function which allows you to change the direction of the Line Launcher and fire again in the new direction.

Predator/Stealth

Batman can now perform double silent takedowns.
    If a thug is near a thin wall, Batman will be able to smash through it with his hands and knockout the thug.
    Batman will be able to perform a knockout smash during a silent takedown. The move knocks out the enemy instantly but alerts nearby enemies.

Enemies

Each major villain will have their own gang with their own special appearances that reflect their allegiance.
    Enemy AI has been improved and are more alert and responsive.
    Enemies will attack the player simultaneously.
    Thugs will use a massive variety of weapons such as baseball bats, broken bottles, explosives and makeshift riot shields.
    There will be far more enemies to fight than there were in Arkham Asylum, although some may flee the scene when Batman arrives.
    Enemies will still respawn even after the completion of the game.
    Gang members aren't restricted to their territories.
    Thugs who are not in gangs wander the streets.
    Arkham City will feature Elite enemies such as Tyger Guards. They will carry jammers that disable Batman's Detective Mode.

Binnatics

Wow, nice find JRD! I've seen some of these new gadgets and possibilities allready in the promo's, like the double takedown and the improved flying with the cape. The improvement of the line-launcher really sounds promissing. I can imagine what a great way of transport it can be  ^-^

I'm allready shaking for the territory of Zasz... All types of thugs with knifes and other nasty things brrrrr  ::)

Binnatics

I think I heared about the availability of challenge-mode again in Arkham City. Can you confirm that JRD? That would at least make online leaderboards available.
That they didn't choose for a normal muliplayermode sounds reasonable; I can't imagine a 16 player deathmatch with all Batmans wondering around  :-D
Allthough I think I would enjoy a coop version where Catwoman and Batman cooperate in a special silent walkthrough... Maybe an idea for a DLC?

By the way: Great to have this childboard at OWG. Wouldn't it be a good idea to merge the Batman; Arham Asylum topic with this board? Both games are pretty connected to eachother.

JRD

You can check more here

Challenges - Riddler Challenges

After completing all of the Riddler Challenges, Batman and the Riddler will have a face to face confrontation.
    Batman can interrogate Riddler informants for the locations of Riddler trophies.
    Riddler Challenges will return, they will be more complex and will involve the use of gadgets.

Challenges - FreeFlow and Predator

The Joker's Carnival is avaliable as a pre-order bonus from GameStop and avaliable with the Limited Edition.
    The two Challenge maps bundled with the Robin pre-order bonus: 'Black Mask Hideout' and 'Freight Train Escape'
    All playable characters can be used on any map.
    The Iceberg Lounge Challenge map is avaliable with the Collector's Edition.
    Robin will have moves and gadgets unique to the character.

Achievements and Trophies

Acid Bath (10G) - unlocked by saving Catwoman from Two-Face.
    Save Hostages (10G) - unlocked by saving hostages in the church.

Unconfirmed
The information below has not been confirmed by Rocksteady, the following are pure speculation.

A demo has not been confirmed, stop asking
    The Batcave has not been confirmed.
    Commissioner Gordon has not been confirmed.
    Robin appearing in the story has not been confirmed, at the moment he's restricted to the Challenges.
    Maurice LaMarche voicing Mr. Freeze has not been confirmed.
    Wade Williams voicing Black Mask has not been confirmed.
    Killer Croc has not been confirmed.
    Hush has not been confirmed.
    The High Frequency Sonic Emitter gadget (summons bats like in Batman Begins) has not been confirmed.

As for merging topics, I first thought about having B:AC as a unique board with B:AA in the "other games" area. I can just move B:AA into B:AC board as a topic... will check that later, good idea though  :-X

PZ

Wow, JRD, you certainly know lots about this game  :-X

Binnatics

Yep. great to have all that info. It's gonna be a massive game. I should check out about these limited edition bonusses, as well as the pre-order ones. I'd like to have them, but I do want to buy a retail version of the game. That would fit nice in my collection, next to the earlier Arkham Asylum edition ;)

Binnatics

No news on Steam so far, but Gamestop has quite a lot of different versions indeed. The collector's edition for the 360 and PS3 are worth the double!!  :o
For PC only regular edition seen. They do give some pre-order bonus, but it's a US site, so nothing in it for me I guess  :'(

Binnatics

Hmm, Bol.com does have the collectors' edition for PC, but it should cost 75 euros. That's a lot, and they don't say what extra you get for that  :-\\

JRD

Thanks PZ... I just know where to look for information about games I`m looking for to play. I didn`t collect all that stuff, it was a simple ctrl+C / ctrl+V   ;D ... I posted the source though  ;)

@Binnatics. I never bought any special edition / pre order stuff only because of those extras and when I did it was because the GOTY or collector`s edition was the only one available. Nevertheless, if I was to give you any advice, I`d say don`t go for any of those extra stuff, especially if you have to pay extra cash for them as I`m pretty sure it will be crap.

There are some images of Batman skins around the web with Batman looking like the one at the animated series, the movie, the graphic novel and whatnot... that`s the only thing you might get or maybe some lousy gadget to play.  >:((

I don`t think it`s worth any cash on my side. Besides, it might be available as a DLC or special edition anytime after the game is out. A character like Batman is always associated with massive amount of merchandising to capitalize profit of Warner Bros... I agree to pay a fair price for the game on release but I refuse to be treated as an idiot, over the top consumerist because it`s a well known character  \:/

err... sorry about the rant  ::) :-[

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Quote from: JRD on August 12, 2011, 02:01:23 PM
err... sorry about the rant  ::) :-[

^+-+  We never seem to mind the occasional rant - makes for interesting reading.  I rather like passion in a person's writings.  ;)

Binnatics

:-X

I won't buy it either, I completely agree with your point of view. I bought a GOTY once, by the way, that was worth it: Fallout 3 GOTY: It included all (5!!) available DLC's which was big fun after I completed the main story ;)

Art Blade

I have faint memory of buying a retail GOTY once, the GOTY included several DLCs.. which I had to fricking DOWNLOAD  :D >:((

Tags:
🡱 🡳