Red Dead Redemption

Started by spaceboy, March 22, 2009, 11:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eor123

I thought when I finished the main objectives that the game would be over, but it goes on and on and on.....

I'm ready to finish this game. The missions have become pretty mundane.
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

PZ

I just purchased the game last night and have wandered around the desert for a while.  Becoming accustomed to the controls and the map, plus all the different activities appears to be quite time consuming.  I love the desert scenery - especially the saguaro  :-X

eor123

I finished the game the last night...well, I completed the story line.

My stats show that I am 76% complete so there is still a lot do to. I think I have completed all the "Stranger Quests" but avoided most of the challenges as they don't appeal to me, nor did trying to assemble different outfits or maxing out the rankings.

Not going to spoil the ending like someone did for me on another forum but it is foreshadowed by several things that take place in the story line. The final mission is quite satisfying and involves a duel -- quite a revelation, Im sure.  ;D

"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

batdog

Not looking forward to the ending then as I'm pretty bad at duels.  At my age brain to hand reaction times are not what they used to be  :(

Art Blade

Don't worry, old chap, this is not going to be a real life duel. You may start over... and over... and over...  ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

One of the things I like about the game is not having to go so far back into a sequence when you die.  You return to the last checkpoint (or save point), which is normally not that long ago.  :-X

tehsam016

Agreed, however for the side quests such as bounty hunting, if you die you have to restart at the nearest save point i believe, but it's so fun riding around in the first place it's not that big of a deal. The only thing i dont really like about the game is the fall damage. In GTAIV you could survive 20+ ft drops, in this it seems like you can barely survive 10 feet drops. I was just expecting them to keep the same falling system from GTA IV (where it's almost parkour since you roll after big drops), but ah well, still pretty much flawless besides that.

*EDIT*
I recently just found a cool little glitch that lets you skip the skinning cut scene if you want. All you have to do is park you horse next to the corpse, dismount, and press Y (it should say on the bottom "Skin Animal") and you'll skin it instantly however it's skin will appear to still be on since you didn't go into the cutscene. Makes hunting a lot faster and enjoyable :).

PZ

I also think that John is terribly fragile - his body breaks with only a slight fall.  ;D  I recall a time running toward the edge of a ravine in which I thought I could easily jump down, only to discover my body crumpling in a red-hazed mess.  When I spawned, I went to the same place and went down the steep slope at an angle, and I could see my heels skidding in the soil.  Sometimes it is possible to negotiate the steep places at an angle to avoid damage.  Unfortunately that is not always the case, so it is still a crap-shoot when going down steep places.

ninzza

I agree John is fragile but yesterday, when I was attacking a gang hideout, John fell down when he's riding the horse but amazingly, he survived whereas the horse died!  ;D

One thing I dislike about this game is that when you die (when doing a side missions like attacking gang hideout, bounty hunting  or help some one who is robbed on roads...), you're forced to respawn at the nearest save point (safe houses ...) but the problem is that it's often a long distance between the safehouse and the place where you'd previously died. So riding back to the objective is a pain in the arse.

The towns should have more civilians. And the ending  is not good IMO.

But the negatives in this game are very few, I love this game. RDR and FC2 are my favorite sandbox games.

Art Blade

Quote from: ninzza on June 01, 2010, 01:41:04 PM
I agree John is fragile but yesterday, when I was attacking a gang hideout, John fell down when he's riding the horse but amazingly, he survived whereas the horse died!  ;D

LOL :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

KingRat

One thing I dislike about this game is that when you die (when doing a side missions like attacking gang hideout, bounty hunting  or help some one who is robbed on roads...), you're forced to respawn at the nearest save point (safe houses ...) but the problem is that it's often a long distance between the safehouse and the place where you'd previously died. So riding back to the objective is a pain in the arse.

But the negatives in this game are very few, I love this game. RDR and FC2 are my favorite sandbox games.

Sounds like you should set up camp more often? Before attacking a hideout (or bounty) I setup camp and save there...

ninzza

Quote from: KingRat on June 02, 2010, 12:27:11 PM

Sounds like you should set up camp more often? Before attacking a hideout (or bounty) I setup camp and save there...

Yeah, now I often set up camp and save before attacking the bounty.

PZ

Another thing I really like about RDR is that an Internet connection is not required to play SP.  Every time I think about the full-time Internet connection requirement for AC2 and Just Cause2, I become a bit annoyed - I can't play a couple of my favorite games while on the road, RV'ing!  :'(

Art Blade

JC2 doesn't need to be connected. Open steam menu bar (where you can exit, there's "go offline") and after going offline just play. Next time you switch back to online the files will update (steam downloads from you).

fragger

Cool, I'll remember that when I get around to playing JC2.

You can do the same thing with Portal and the Half-Life games.

PZ

lol, I never thought that Art would become a resident STEAM expert  ;D

Thanks for the tip - will need to try the PS3 version and see if it plays without connecting, that is, unless someone already knows  ;)

Art Blade

Just start steam first, there you go offline, and then you start the game from the steam app as you would when online.

Art Blade

and never, never call me a steam expert again.

;) ;D

PZ

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳