Silenced Pistol Tip

Started by eor123, April 04, 2010, 01:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eor123

I been using the silenced pistol more recently. Still trying to master the headshot aiming technique. At times I get in the groove and nail 4-5 headshots in a row, then somehow lose the groove for a while, only to get it back. If you miss a head shot, it seems to take an entire clip to take down a merc, even at close range. Trying to train myself to quickly switch to primary weapon when that happens.

I apologize if this has been covered before. I didn't see it in the index of tips.

I noticed something when using the 6P9 in a firefight. After taking out a merc, I have seen (on several occasions now) a group of 3-4 gather up around the dead merc, and start milling around, unsure of where the fire is coming from, I suppose. If not in range for a grenade, a shot from the grenade launcher, crossbow, or RPG will take them all out. Anytime you can take out multiple targets with one shot is good, in my book.

I've also noticed the the proximity of targets to each other seems to confuse the aim assist feature so trying to finish them off with the 6P9 may result in the wasting of a lot of ammo.

"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

Art Blade

Actually it is the very first tip in that topic  ;D

QuoteIf you have the chance to try this, you may like it:

Find cover and hide. Then shoot with a silcenced weapon somewhere near a bad guy -- he and his friends will come and investigate where your rounds hit. Then throw a grenade at them -- they will want to flee. Now shoot again next to the group, they will immediately freeze and again want to investigate the impacts. Say "sorry" and watch them blow up all together  ;D

edit: to stop the mercs from fleeing (from a grenade), you can as well shoot at them, as quickly as possible after your grenade is out, with a silenced weapon such as MP5. I did that a couple of times now, mostly got them all, so I wanted you to know :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

eor123

Well...Doh.

I think I read all of them except that one.
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

Art Blade

That's what I thought, that you missed just that one :) Never mind, mate
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

If on the console, aiming slightly above the target's head causes the aim point to snap to the head.  I've done at least one play through using only the 6P9 as a weapon, and it is quite fun.  The challenge is to get into the proper position to get the job done without getting killed yourself.  ;D

eor123

That may be my problem...aiming a little too low.

It's frustrating...at times I am right on the money and then I'm off. Couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

On Infamous level if you miss the head shot with the 6P9, you had better just unload the clip into the merc on front of you or you're dead.

mir24

I've made the 6P9 my specialty weapon, together with the Dragunov and either the Dart Gun or the Crossbow (from Fortunes Pack)...

What I've found is:

1. If the enemy is fairly close, then aim at the centre of his head just slightly above the groove. A single shot will dispatch him.

2. If the enemy is far then the top bit of the groove should just about cover his head (so if looking real close at the groove, you can only just barely see the top of your target's head). This works for maximum distance shots.

In my opinion, the 6P9 is, by far, the most underrated weapon in the game. Silent kills at close to medium range allow one to wipe an entire enemy Guard Post without anyone knowing where you are.

A couple more tips though:

1. After shooting the second or third target, remember the 1st Rule of Sniping: RELOCATE! Never stay in the same point too long. In fact, I usually reloacte and circle AROUND the enemy so that I'm firing from a totally different direction all together (e.g if I was firing from the west, I might sneak around and resume my sniping from the southeast).

2. The 6P9 is far more accurate than the MP5, especially when aiming along the groove. And since it fires single shots, there's no fear of accidentally pulling the trigger too hard and letting off several shots.

3. I know it sounds like I'm a total sonnava b***h b****rd, but sometimes I aim to cripple the target, not kill him! Why? Beacuse then his loving comrades will actually come out of cover to rescue him, and I kill the friend first... And finish off the cripple with my machete... (*cue evil maniacal laughter*)

By the way, anyone notice that when sniping with a silenced weapon, the enemy starts scurrying around and ultimately head towards your position? Whereas if you snipe with the Dragunov, for example, they don't scurry towards you. Instead, they take cover opposite your position!

Art Blade

very nice observations and tips there, mir24  :) :-X

You are right about the guards' reaction to sniping. I noticed that the dart rifle always kills, no matter where you hit, whereas the dragunov is perfect for disabling enemies by shooting the legs, which results in a call for medics :)

JRD

Those are probably poisonous darts...  8)

As for the Dragunov, it`s ability to cripple but no kill is what makes it so special to me...
... ok, the 10 round mag and low recoil too!  ;D ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

mir24

Quote from: Art Blade on May 27, 2010, 08:00:03 AM
very nice observations and tips there, mir24  :) :-X

You are right about the guards' reaction to sniping. I noticed that the dart rifle always kills, no matter where you hit, whereas the dragunov is perfect for disabling enemies by shooting the legs, which results in a call for medics :)

Playing on Insane difficulty, shooting enemies in the legs with the Dragunov does not necessarily cripple them every time. The b****rds stop for a bit and then run like hell!

Regarding the dart gun, I'm going to post a new thread on dart gun usage and a bit more on silent sniping in a bit...  ;)

Art Blade

So, insane difficulty, eh? That's insane, did you know that?

;D

mir24

Quote from: Art Blade on May 31, 2010, 08:51:17 AM
So, insane difficulty, eh? That's insane, did you know that?

;D

Hahahahahahah! Whoops, my bad!!! It was only after fragger mentioned it in another post did I realise it's "Infamous" not "Insane" difficulty...  :-[

Still, as you put it, Sir Art, it IS insane playing at "Infamous"!

Art Blade

nice  ;D You go on playing on infamous, I'll stick to "Sucker" mode (I almost always play on the easiest level but once, which I believe was OperationFlashPoint2:DragonRising)  :)

mir24

Quote from: Art Blade on June 01, 2010, 02:04:40 PM
nice  ;D You go on playing on infamous, I'll stick to "Sucker" mode (I almost always play on the easiest level but once, which I believe was OperationFlashPoint2:DragonRising)  :)

In truth, I used to start with Easy mode as well. In fact, I used to avoid FPS games period. Then I tried Lucas Arts' Outlaws on Ugly difficulty* and never looked back since.

Crysis, Deus Ex, Crysis Warhead, Far Cry 2 all at the hardest level of difficulty. I admit, I save and re-load very often but once in a while, I'll impose some restriction - such as only saving at the beginning of a certain area, or only when the game auto-saves, and in the case of FC2, only saving at Safehouses.

Kinda gets the adrenalin rushing I guess.  :P

fragger

I tend to play a new game on Easy, Wuss, Don't Hurt Me, or whatever the easiest setting is called, until I get the hang of the game. Second time around, I'll go straight to Infamous, Insane, or I Am Death Incarnate, just to experience the contrasts and to see if I can get through. After that, I'll usually settle into an intermediate level for max fun vs challenge.

Except for Deus Ex, I too always played that one on the hardest setting for some reason.

Art Blade

OFP:DR on hardcore didn't allow any save games during one operation. You either made it or not  ;D Also, on hardcore, no HUD at all...  :)

PZ

Quote from: mir24 on May 26, 2010, 06:53:35 PM
...After shooting the second or third target, remember the 1st Rule of Sniping: RELOCATE! Never stay in the same point too long. In fact, I usually reloacte and circle AROUND the enemy so that I'm firing from a totally different direction all together (e.g if I was firing from the west, I might sneak around and resume my sniping from the southeast).
I had a funny moment at Private Property this morning - I was coming down the dirt path toward the cobblestone road, but diverted into the bushes - the mercs knew I was in the area and one of them came to within a few feet of me looking in the direction from which I came - he threw a grenade just as I popped him in the skull with the 6P9 - he dropped the grenade and I had to high tail it out of there before I went up with it.

Art Blade

hehe, reminds me of the one situation when a merc and I were walking around a small knoll chasing each other without actually seeing each other, and he must have thrown a grenade at the knoll which bounced back at him. To me it sounded as if he had just dropped that thing, I heard it bounce on the ground and the merc starting to curse and then his grenade blew him up. I only heard that, never saw it, and it made me laugh so hard  ;D

PZ

^+-+ That's a great one!  I wish I could see something like that - the beauty of FC2 is that you never know what you're going to see next  :-X

JRD

I miss the times when a GLAT sends itself into the air by shooting at a rock or tree  ^+-+
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

My task: go to the scrapyard to blow up a compressor - get the job done however you can.

My choice: stealth as usual.  Coming in from the east, I made my way through the hole in the metal fence into the concrete tube leading to the inside of a bus.  My ultimate destination was the tall tower from which I would rain devastation on the nearby mercs.  However, I needed to take care of these guys that had an inkling that I was nearby - one of them saw me through the window of the bus and quickly became agitated - a whisper from the 6P9 was all it took.  A pile of mercs quickly accumulated as his friends came to investigate - finally all was quiet on the western front.

I managed to sneak all the way to the top of the tower without anyone seeing me - then used the dart on distant targets while the 6P9 made short w@&k of those nearby.  For some reason, they did not bother looking up as they typically do.  In any case, all it took was a little patience and soon all was quiet again - a trip to the compressor room and a grenade completed the mission.

Art Blade

silence and patience form a good team.  :)

PZ

Indeed they do - rarely is one enough when using the stealthy approach.  ;)

Tags:
🡱 🡳