Using Jumps

Started by Art Blade, June 17, 2009, 06:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

A very small tutorial  ;D

It's quite nice you can jump so far. If you haven't tried yet, you might start now :) (The pics taken at Shwasana)

1) go like 3 or 4 steps back, then press <forward> and <run>
[smg id=820 align=center width=400]
2) at the ledge, jump (keep forward+run pressed). Mid-air...
[smg id=821 align=center width=400]
3) ...landing...
[smg id=822 align=center width=400]
4) ...and a look back.
[smg id=823 align=center width=400]

edit: made the pics appear bigger.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

retiredgord

Thanks Art for the tutorial.  Being one of the lead-footed jumpers this should actually get me some better jumps and make some things easier to accomplish.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

mandru

I've been playing around with my jumps a bit lately.  I've been seeking out roof tops and ledges that have previously been off limits or inaccessible while heavily applying the technique demonstrated here by our friend and mentor Art in this tutorial.

One of the most useful leaps (in some of my recent rampages with stacked reg-edits  ;) ) that I have become fairly regularly successful at is in Mosate Selao.  Between the two faction headquarters we are all familiar with the building that has a ladder up to the flat roof and is a good platform to stage an assault though it can end up being as much trap as fortress.

For a long time I've been eyeing that tile roofed building immediately to the West of that building to get closer to Major Tambosa's office but sprinting while standing on the flat roofed building's rail always lacked a few feet in height to attain access.  It occurred to me that a jumping skill I've already developed might come in handy.

In the first half of the game there is the diamond case on top of the rail car at Petro Sahel which requires a double jump where you start out on top of the big storage tank and while sprinting jump to the handrail and quickly again jump from the handrail's extra height to reach the diamond case.

Take advantage of the closest save point possible as it is a critical drop if you miss.  If the town is already alert and hot for you it's not good spot to have to defend yourself and  a rescuing buddy (we've all been there  :'(). 

Climbing to the roof of the first building turn and look back West beyond the ladder top and you can see your line up with the lowest sloped edge of the next building.  Just a step or two North (the right when facing the ladder) getting alignment, back straight up giving yourself enough sprint space and apply the same jump used for the diamond case at Petro Sahel.

This roof would be a great spot for someone with the ability to capture a video to back one of the town's four 4-door Jeeps into the notch in the barricades at the West end of the street to the building's North (one of the four Jeeps is conveniently parked right there   ;D :-X)  and tuck a full load of IEDs under its front bumper then from the rooftop film the resulting flight of the flaming Jeep as it covers almost the full distance to the machine gun position on the other side of town.  I have found the spot these Jeeps land to be highly predictable if I set up the launch exactly the same way each time I've tried it.  8)

I particularly enjoy this activity if I've first, on remounting the rooftop, kneecapped a few mercs (pick an accurate weapon that only shoots them a little  >:D ) to injure them squarely in the Jeeps LZ so that it draws nice a crowd seeking my skin only to be swatted by my vengeful flaming fist from on high.   ^+-+ *Mua haa haa haa!*

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

deadman1

Oboy I would really like to see that  >:D

Art Blade

:-D

One thing though, that diamond there.. I think I just climbed the ladder and then dropped from the roof to get it.. if my memory serves me right..?
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Yes, there is a balcony on the North side one floor up above street level (of the building I am referring to above) where you drop down from the NW corner of the flat roofed building to the palm frond covered awning and hop over the rail to take it but I was aiming a bit higher for the tiled rooftop.

That balcony with the diamond case is useful for getting back down to street level when you want to get off the roof.  :-X
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Tags:
🡱 🡳