Starting modifications

Started by TheStranger, August 29, 2011, 05:05:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

Art Blade, what you wrote about the forum is exactly what I thought. Many things about modding FC2 were explained very poorly, so I considered to register an account in that forum. ANd what did I see: Registration fee 10$??? Sorry but not with me. I'm not on the internet since yesterday and this is the first forum I saw, where I should pay to registrate. So I tried it myself and was succesful.

Quote from: Art Blade on August 28, 2011, 06:11:15 AM
What I'd like to mod is:

- make all weapons fit in all slots (allowing new loadouts)
- while we're at it, make every bullet count  >:D (hit damage)
- increase stamina (sprint/jump forever without tiring)
- set the malaria timer so high it won't kick in any more
- increase speed of vehicles controlled by the player
- and/or decrease "rubber band" characteristics of merc vehicles (they can always pull up to you)

What I have found out until now are the following things (not 100% sure of course):

1.) You can only change the slot of a weapon, but I think it's not possible to fit them into all slots. Because one weapon can have only on slot. So if you want to go with the MGL-140, the Dragunov and the SPAS-12 it is possible (I think, haven't tried), but then you must adjust the file to your desired loadouts (and that doesn't take soo long).

2.) Possible. I have changed the hit multiplier of the torso damage from 1.0 to 2.0 (and the feet,leg and hands to 0.8 and the arms to 1.0) and now the enemies take about 1-2 shots to die, depending on the weapon stats of course, which I also adjusted to more realistic values and so the gameplay is now very close to the real world ;)

3.) Should be possible, but haven't tried it because sprinting is ok for me as it is.

4.) See 3.)

5.) I would like to change that too but I don't no where because in the vehivles.xml are only model values e.g. where is the speedometer placed etc.

6.) It's possible. Just a change of all values for longrangevehicles must be set from 100 to 0 in the gamemodesconfig.xml but didn't try that only read it in the forum.

One thing which I couldn't change was to deactivate the autoreload of all weapons. Set all the values for each weapon in the weaponproperties from bautoreload=True to False and inh the player.xml for the playerchar to False but it didn't w%&k still autoreload.

About the Jackal Tape Glitch: It could be possible because you have entries in the gamemodeconfig about them, and they look ok. But if we had a originalgamemodeconfig from an earlier version of the game it could w@&k but these tools w@&k only with version 1.3. unfortunately. So I don't know how to change. In my current game I played with v. 1.2. and collected all tapes then I updated and began to mod the files, but that's not a very practical solution :/

That's the code concerning the tapes:

Spoiler
<JackalTapes>
            <Tape title="A1JT00"  description="A1JT00_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebecb" stopSoundID="0x004ebece" soundType="20" />
            <Tape title="A1JT01"  description="A1JT01_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebed3" stopSoundID="0x004ebed2" soundType="20" />
            <Tape title="A1JT02"  description="A1JT02_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebed4" stopSoundID="0x004ebed5" soundType="20" />
            <Tape title="A1JT03"  description="A1JT03_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebed7" stopSoundID="0x004ebed9" soundType="20" />
            <Tape title="A1JT04"  description="A1JT04_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebeda" stopSoundID="0x004ebedb" soundType="20" />
            <Tape title="A1JT05"  description="A1JT05_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebedf" stopSoundID="0x004ebede" soundType="20" />
            <Tape title="A1JT06"  description="A1JT06_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebee0" stopSoundID="0x004ebee1" soundType="20" />
            <Tape title="A1JT07"  description="A1JT07_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebee3" stopSoundID="0x004ebee4" soundType="20" />
            <Tape title="A1JT08"  description="A1JT08_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebee6" stopSoundID="0x004ebee7" soundType="20" />
            <Tape title="A2JT09"  description="A2JT09_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebee9" stopSoundID="0x004ebeea" soundType="20" />
            <Tape title="A2JT10"  description="A2JT10_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebeee" stopSoundID="0x004ebeed" soundType="20" />
            <Tape title="A2JT11"  description="A2JT11_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebef1" stopSoundID="0x004ebeef" soundType="20" />
            <Tape title="A2JT12"  description="A2JT12_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebef4" stopSoundID="0x004ebef3" soundType="20" />
            <Tape title="A2JT13"  description="A2JT13_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebef5" stopSoundID="0x004ebef6" soundType="20" />
            <Tape title="A2JT14"  description="A2JT14_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebef8" stopSoundID="0x004ebef9" soundType="20" />
            <Tape title="A2JT15"  description="A2JT15_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebefb" stopSoundID="0x004ebefc" soundType="20" />
            <Tape title="A2JT16"  description="A2JT16_DESC" startSoundID="0x004ebefe" stopSoundID="0x004ebeff" soundType="20" />
         </JackalTapes>

Art Blade

Nice, thank you :)

By the way, just call me "Art" - bit shorter like that  ;)

I decided to fetch all those files needed for modding and yes, I did read the author's comment that Microsoft .NET Framework 4 was required to run the programs. Easy Peasy, I thought, I've already got W7 completely patched up. But. FC2 was originally installed on my XP partition which is the reason why under W7 the modding programs couldn't find the path to FC2. Eh?  :D I am able to play it on W7 regardless, so that was unexpected. Now I needed to fire up XP again.

XP had .NET 2.0 installed so of course it didn't w%&k. Manually checked for "optional" windows updates and found some. Download, install. On the fly I had seen other optional updates I was interested in but they were listed in a seperate group preventing me from updating them together. What the..  :D So, second run, go for those optional updates. But hey, what is this, there now is an "important" update available, for NET framework. Oh gee, why, if I hadn't got NET4 and was about to update, why didn't they patch it so I wouldn't have to do that manually? Again, download, install. Now, going for the optional upda.. eh?! Two more "important" updates for NET?? Obviously the previous update had been updated later. Grrrr, once more, download, install. NOW for the optional updates. You won't believe it. Now, among optional updates, there were two for my recently acquired and three times updated NET4. Alright then, go for those updates 4 and 5 and finally add those optional updates I was after in the first place. All in all, this update orgy (including regular updates for XP) took me nearly one hour. Yay, what fun it is to prepare XP for a little modding.  :D

Now I'm going to check the stuff out. Already got my files extracted and so on.

What I have realised is that we won't be able to create modular patches. The problem is that those patches override the only patch allowed. Basically it works like back in the day with FallOut3 and the mod manager which packed all individual mods into a single one. Only this time we don't have a choice, there has to be just one patch file that includes our mod.

So if someone goes, "I want that weapon patch and something else," then we'd need to compile a new patch that includes everything.

Sounds like a little bit more w%&k than expected but maybe we can solve it by providing modded lines and naming the source XML so we could copy-paste from here into our own files and make all changes necessary so all we want our individual mod to be is included. That is going to be a true patch w%&k  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

OMG, your .Net install sounds like a Steam update  ????

Yes, it is a shame that we don't have the ability to create modular additions to the game, but at least we now have a mechanism to tweak settings to our liking - who would have ever thought that was possible for the general FC2 gamer.

I can see OWG members posting discoveries in the .xml that will allow the rest of us less competent programmers to install our own modified version of the patch files.  Who knows - maybe we'll have some favorite compiled patch files (or at least the .xml) that we can post in our downloads section.

In any case, this is going to be an exciting experiment into the workings of FC2 that none of has experienced before.

I am still amazed at the large difference in game play I experienced by the small changes in the patch files I downloaded - rather than merc supermen that take a full clip in the chest (they must all be on PCP) they now fall to bullets.  :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳