Started by PZ, August 23, 2010, 10:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Re-edit by Art:

The rating system is simple: ranged from 1 to 10 where

• 10 is highest
  • 5 is average
  • 1 is lowest

You may rate a game all 10 or all 1, but please  explain why. We're hoping to read your honest opinion and encourage a nice, fair discussion. Enjoy. :)

Art's edit:
Hello people :)

Just an update and a brief info:

This board allows members to express their opinion by rating a game and by that allowing a nice and fair discussion. We started out head over heels (hehe) and then slightly modified the form and rating system.

What we didn't expect was an event that made me issue a
warning

Please don't make a mess out of this board and forum  ;)

/end Art's edit

JRD

Hey PZ... that's great!  :-X

If I can give my two cents on the subject... I think we could have an item to rate the story behind a game. A game like Assassin's Creed for instance has a great story that sucks players in, Far Cry 2 has a great potential to develop a great plot, but never actually did it.

Else, I'd go further to explain some items - we are rating games from 1 to 10, right? oPresentation : does it concern packaging, user manual etc? I have so many STEAM games that its quite hard for me to rate that feature of a game... maybe change it for Story?

One last thing... do you plan to update what members post/rate at the wiki? I guess it's quite troublesome for you and Art (assuming that how you do it)... why not have a "Rate this game" sticky post at each game board so we can easily see how users rate a game instead of searching for it here or at the wiki? Moderators of each board can be responsible for creating this post on their respective boards and help you out!

These are my thoughts for the moment, but kudos for initiating this thread!  :-X

I will come up with some rates soon!
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Thanks to to you JRD, for the idea in the first place  :-X

This is not just a new board with a standard posting - I put a form together on which users make choices for their ratings.  The form explains exactly how to quantify your rating.

Click here to rate your favorite game

JRD

Quote from: PZ on August 24, 2010, 05:44:40 AM
Thanks to to you JRD, for the idea in the first place  :-X

This is not just a new board with a standard posting - I put a form together on which users make choices for their ratings.  The form explains exactly how to quantify your rating - we can add as many categories as we want.  We can also add a comments field or anything else that comes to mind.  I should probably have a bit of time today to continue developing this rating system, so stay tuned!

That RDR rating by the way is just a test of the form  ;)

Ok, but... what form? It looks like a standard post to me!!  ????

PZ

It's not ready yet so it isn't published - I'll release it today for global moderator/moderator comments and feedback.  Because it takes a bit of coding to get the screen elements in place it will take a bit to get it just right for our needs.  :-()

The way the form works is that the user opens it and completes the items.  When the Save button is clicked, the form automatically posts the results in the board that is the destination of the form, in our case, Game ratings.  We'll need to decide how and what it should look like, and exactly what information to display/collect.

JRD

OK, now I see!

Sorry if I seem to be rushing you with that... it's only because I saw the original post but didn't get what was going on!  ::) :-[

PZ

Sorry, my fault - I should have kept it hidden, but in order to test the output, there has to be an active board.  I'm just about to post the form url for the staff just for input and suggestions.

Stay tuned!  ;)

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on August 23, 2010, 10:53:17 PMthe OWG staff will enter your data into the wiki

I'm the forum guy, PZ is also the wiki guy. So if you want to get me to do something, it better be on the forum  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Yeah, I really like the wiki and how it works - would use it more if I had more time.  I'm not sure yet how we should display the ratings - one thought is to have it as the topic note in the game forum itself.  We'll try different things and see how they look/w@&k.  :-X

Art Blade

is it possible to create an average rating out of the individual parts?

example:

gameplay 6
graphics 3
story 3
-------
overall 4

(6 + 3 + 3 ) / 3 = 4
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I don't think it would be an easy fix, but I can see if it is possible.  :-X

Art Blade

JRD

Hay PZ... outstanding new tool! Love it! It is just what I had in mind... great move, mate!  :-X :-X :-X

I just tested with a review of... guess?... FC2, of course  ;D ;D ;D

PZ

Thanks JRD, it did turn out OK, but Art had a good comment about having the form automatically do an average value calculation.

I just read and replied to your FC2 rating! Great job, and your opinion is likely to be shared by many!  :-X

I think I'll do a couple of ratings myself.

JRD

I think it is really easy to use, which will make members use it quite often. One good thing is that a rating can come up anytime, even for outdated games. I will rate AC2 only when I finish playing it and I don't even have the game yet (or the PC to run it).

I might rate Borderlands anytime now or in a few weeks, when I'm more deep into the game, but had we the rating by the end of 2009, and I'm sure mmosu, RedRaven and others would've rated and discussed its aspects thoroughly, I'd be just adding my thoughts to it!  ;)

PZ

I think you're correct - here's an example of how it might look when summarized for a game - all it took was the addition of a top center block on the FC2 home page:

Check it out here

Note: if you have problems seeing the center block, which should have the FC2 ratings block, the FC2 map images, and the latest 10 posts, you'll need to clear your browser history.

JRD

Wow... it looks great!  :-X :-X

PZ

Thanks, JRD - looks like you came up with a great idea - now OWG members can see how other members rate our favorite games.

JRD

Let`s see how it develops now. I hope members start checking and discussing ratings just as passionately as ever!

PZ

Indeed - it would be nice to see honest open discussion arise out of the ratings.  Because we're a mature bunch, we have all accepted one another's opinions without the flaming we see on other sites - kind of nice to be able to openly express ones thoughts and preferences.

Art Blade

PZ

I redid my ratings because I kind of like the new format, and I wanted to be consistent with the standard for rating.  I did ask myself why I had rated one of the games the way I did, so it was a good thing that I looked at it again.  :-()

Art Blade

I edited the first post and made this topic a sticky.

Art Blade

ow PZ :-\\ you edited the first post, too.. you deleted the very first steps! The legacy! You changed history!!

It was so nice to see the first attempts.. how the first rating was born..  :'(

;) ;D

PZ

Sorry about that, but it should be OK in the long run - for instance, for someone that just now comes into the thread, it might have seemed a bit confusing unless we explained it further.  So to avoid confusion, I just took the confusing parts out and cleaned it up a bit  ;)

Tags:
🡱 🡳