Wireless keyboards

Started by Binnatics, February 06, 2014, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

Anyone familiar with wireless keyboards? I bought a Microsoft wireless keyboard recently and from time to time it stutters. The batteries are brand-new so that can't be the problem. The distance between the USB receiver is less than 2 meters and there's no obstructions whatsoever.

I was afraid this would happen but the guy in the shop assured me those were problems of the past. Only @ great distances, like 10 meters, it would possibly loose connection. Now I feel pretty taken by the nose  >:(

Either there's a simple solution to this or I'm going to spend some serious money on a gaming keyboard. A Vandal-proof one that is :angel: :angel:
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

I've been using wireless keyboards on various computers for over 15 years.  The only unreliable ones (that have failed) are those made by Microsoft.  I now only use Logitech when I go wireless.

If your drivers are up-to-date and batteries are good, I'd return the keyboard as being defective - they should never "stutter"

Art Blade

unfortunately he said he bought a Microsoft one, apparently just like one of those that failed you, too.

In that case, I'd return the keyboard as faulty indeed and get any keyboard not from MS. As a matter of fact, I am a fan of Logitech, too, and I have been using their G15 and G19 gaming keyboards (with wire), they're just great.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

I tried using a wireless keyboard and mouse for a while but eventually got sick of replacing/recharging batteries. I found the rechargeable ones didn't last very long before running down, and while regular batteries would last much longer they would of course have to be replaced.

But the k&m were MS ones, and while they didn't stutter they still weren't very good. The mouse only lasted a year or so before the buttons began to stick and soon after they stopped working altogether.

Now I'm back to cabled k&m, which I much prefer despite having cables snaking across the desk.

Binnatics

I know what I'm going to do; replace my wireless with a ~good~ wired one. I'll see if I can return this gear, it should indeed be categorized as malfunctioning >:D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Quote from: Binnatics on February 07, 2014, 09:19:01 AM
I know what I'm going to do; replace my wireless with a ~good~ wired one. I'll see if I can return this gear, it should indeed be categorized as malfunctioning >:D

I'm with AB - the Logitech "G" series gaming keyboards are my favorites

Binnatics

I was in my favourite hardware shop the other day to pick up my GPU monster, and they had a 6-key test-pad with a variety of key technology demonstrated. I like the ones that have a bit of resilience. Almost feeling like a click when fully pressed down.
I'm only so afraid I'll drop a piece of toast over it when having a supper during a late-night gaming session :-D

Art Blade

The toast isn't the problem. The blueberry jam is.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

or the sticky cheese bits :-D :-D ;)

Binnatics

Quote from: Art Blade on February 06, 2014, 05:33:11 PM
unfortunately he said he bought a Microsoft one, apparently just like one of those that failed you, too.

In that case, I'd return the keyboard as faulty indeed and get any keyboard not from MS. As a matter of fact, I am a fan of Logitech, too, and I have been using their G15 and G19 gaming keyboards (with wire), they're just great.

The G19 is an impressive thing. It has an impressive price as well :o €179,- ???

Binnatics

I'm beginning to fall in love with the "Corsair Vengeance K70 Gaming Keyboard", which has excellent mechanic keys, aluminium top layer and special gaming keys (WSAD and 1-6) for perfect grabbing. It's also quite expensive, €126, but I guess it's worth it. I'm a bit in doubt about the logitech ones. I know logitech is a good mark, but those keyboards look like alien gear. A bit over the top for my taste :-D

Art Blade

Binnatics

Yesterday I removed my wireless keyboard. I tried to use other ?(new) batteries but that didn't change a thing. Every 10 or 154 minutes it loses good connection to the system and it already drove me so mad that I destroyed the little plastic foldable feet  :D

Now I have an old Logitech keyboard without fancy stuff until I have the funding to get my new one :angel:

Art Blade

that was a mild case of rage keyboard-bashing, I suppose? :-D Yeah, yeah. Better get something solid  :-()

mandru

Can't beat the Logitech keyboards.  Computers come and go but those keyboards carry on forever.

I hate throwing one of them away when an old system dies.  You never know when a newer keyboard might fail and not have the old one for reserve.

Somewhere in the back room I've got a really old keyboard I've saved made out of chert (a flint like rock) that only has one key labeled with the Neanderthal symbol for "Ugh?"
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

PZ

fragger

nexor

[smg id=6591]

I'm still happy with my oldish AOpen KB, top left side is the jack plugs for headphone and mic,
the right has a usb port. My headphone plug can be seen sticking out.
Ok, and it's not dirt marks you see, it's wear and tear.

Art Blade

I need to see a pic of that keyboard with your hand operating the cursor keys while at the same time with that same hand you're pressing the screenshot key. :)

Binnatics

Good one Nex! Looks like a robust keyboard. That's what I need. I had the same marks on my last one, but also a variety of food in between the keys, stuck somewhere. :angel:

It's nice to have the headphones plugin on your keyboard, much closer than the cage. And the cilindric top suggests it doesn't have these tiny plastic feet that use to get smashed when one is a bit frustrated every now and then :-D

nexor

fragger

How come King Kong is using your keyboard?

Sorry nex, couldn't resist :) But hey, I can't point any fingers when it comes to physicality. My hands may be a more or less normal size but I've always thought that my face resembles Mr. Potato Head parts stuck on a rock melon that somebody had mistaken for a piñata :-()

Btw, I tried that span and with my thumb on the cursor down key I could just reach the Y key with my pinky, but I had to stretch. I wish I had your reach sometimes - I could throttle a certain co-"worker" while still processing my orders with the other hand >:D

Art Blade

nice one, nex  :-D What I don't understand is that I can actually do exactly the same span. With my thumb hovering exactly over the down arrow, the end of my little finger does touch the #5 key. Only I need to cramp the rest of my fingers into forming hooks the tips of which can still press the function keys like you do. But my fingers versus yours look like pencils versus sausages. And my wrist is probably only half the size of yours.  :-() You've definitely got "a strong hand" there  :)

nexor

I was often in trouble as kid, my two brother's always complained they couldn't open a bottle after I closed it, or loosen a nut after I had tightened it, one day my young brother couldn't get the cap off a plastic coldrink bottle after I closed it so he cut the head of the bottle off with a hacksaw    :-D

Tags:
🡱 🡳