Keyboards...

Started by KillerZ, August 17, 2009, 05:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KillerZ

Okay, so I've decided that I want to upgrade my keyboard.  There's nothing wrong with the one I have except for the lack of backlight keys which I have decided I need because I spend a lot of time on my computer in the dark.  There are several backlit keyboards available but I was wondering if I should spend the extra scratch for a gaming keyboard or just buy a backlit.  Is there  really any advantage to the the gaming vs. not keyboards?

Fiach

Have a look at OCZ stuff, they do really good game mouses (mice?) for very low prices, and are very cutting edge with their tech, they even make a gaming peripheral, a controller in a headband, that allows you to game using just your head.

I have neve used anything other than a standard keyboard and never figured I needed some "dedicated" board.

I can see the advantage of backlit, but its not a must have for me, even though I play in the dark.

Eat more carrots :D
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

JRD

Quote from: Fiach on August 18, 2009, 01:01:45 AM
Eat more carrots :D

Priceless.....  :-X :-X
KillerZ... it's just a joke, ok?  ;D ;D

I see a great advantage in backlit keyboads as well... may be very usefull.
But, like Fiach, I never needed a dedicated board to play. The standard WASD layout plus a good mouse is enough... maybe a logitech controller, but that's all I need.  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

DKM2

I love my G15.
I have the G13 gameboard too, but, really haven't used it much.

That Logitech G19 is looking good...  thou, $249.00   >:(   :'(

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/4956&cl=ca,en
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

PZ

I love my G15 too, and in fact purchased it due to DKM2's recommendation.  I like the LE panel where you can have different informational items displayed such as ram and CPU consumption.  The back lit keys are a must for me - I like playing in the dark as well for ambiance reasons.  Plus the programmable keys are great - I program the G keys on the left for quick video and screen cap access.  As you run into things you want to capture, a quick poke with your left pinky finger and recording starts.

Art Blade

I love my G15 too. It is SO cool to have those orange glowing keys that actually allow you to type in the dark, or to safely hit one specific key without accidently hitting all those keys surrounding it one by one  ;D .

The advantage of programmable keys is fantastic in games that urge you to click (key) through a series of menues to finally get where you wanted. just watch the menus flick by in a whizz and PLIM there you go :) Also, what I do a LOT is driving or walking. Just program one of those extra keys to simulate a pressed-down forward key. Hit it once and walk forever, until you hit the actual forward key again (the release of that key is what disables the auto-walk). Splendid... like driving through FUEL or FC2 along those railroads, both hands free to grab a drink and a cig  ;D And like PZ, I remapped the PRNTSCRN key to a custom key :) easy reach.

I won't go back to regular keyboards now that I know of how cool it is to have this G15.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

I've been using the same keyboard for close to ten years now. None of the new fancy boards have the key layout I'm used to, I don't like a wonkin' huge backspace key that makes the return key too small. I need the backwards L return key. Plus, no fooling aorund with the arrangement of the arrow keys and the insert-home-delete keys above that, they have to be in the right places too.

Since none of the new keyboards have that, I'm milking this one until it dies, or I wear a hole through the case in the spots I rest my fingers on. No kidding there, I actually have wear spots where the plastic is worn away from use. Every couple years I take it apart and clean all the gunk out of it and re-lube the workings and it's like brand new.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on August 18, 2009, 12:16:39 PM
... Just program one of those extra keys to simulate a pressed-down forward key. Hit it once and walk forever, until you hit the actual forward key again (the release of that key is what disables the auto-walk). Splendid... like driving through FUEL or FC2 along those railroads, both hands free to grab a drink and a cig  ...

Cool idea - hadn't thought of that one  :-X  Game keeps becoming easier all the time.  Great to have the tips by the OWG members as well.  Sometimes it is the simplest thing that one overlooks.

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on August 18, 2009, 01:16:28 PMSometimes it is the simplest thing that one overlooks.

;D

Actually it's simple to find simple things. Just keep your eyes peeled: whenever you find yourself doing something stupid and boring, but also find that it has to be done, that's when you might find a simpler hence better solution. Usually that is something that can be automatised. Be it a script, a batch or a programmed key...  ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Yeah, but for those of us that are not too PC savvy, the obvious sometimes needs to hit us on the side of the head to wake us up!  ;)

Art Blade

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on August 18, 2009, 12:52:58 PM
I've been using the same keyboard for close to ten years now

I assume you had to replace the plugs? I still have my old keyboards (at least those that didn't go up in flames or drowned in spilled beverages). I think one of them is about 10 years old, maybe even older. One of those large, solid, heavy chunks of PS/2 IBM keyboards I think. Could use it as a grip board for a jeep stuck in quicksand to crawl out on it  ;D Only I am no tinkerer and haven't been too keen on slicing the cord and removing the plug and trying to fit the loose ends into a up-to-date USB plug or the likes.

KillerZ

QuoteI think one of them is about 10 years old, maybe even older. One of those large, solid, heavy chunks of PS/2 IBM keyboards I think.

Sounds like you have a IBM Keyboard Model M series.  I LOVE those, they're awesome, made of metal and each key has a spring for proper feel during a keystroke.  You can buy them new or refurbished including parts at www.clickykeyboards.com  I was seriously thinking of getting one, but they only come in one color and I have this OCD issue with all my gear matching... sounds silly.  If you go to the clickykeyboards website you can get a USB adapter I think...

It sounds like just about everyone has the G15 keyboard as their weapon of choice...

PZ

Sounds kind of funny, but I like the way that the key presses feel on the G15 - different and much quieter than my other keyboards - less intrusive to the gaming environment.  I'd recommend going to a local store if possible and trying out the feel of the gaming keyboards (there are plenty) to see how you like them.

RedRaven

with playing FC2 & A2 so much recently have actually managed to break a keyboard !  The lesson in that is pressing the W key harder and harder does NOT make you move any faster ::) .
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

deadman1

I´m using a Razer Tarantula, what motivated me to buy was a test I read. It showed that you could use all the buttons on the keybord at the same time as you were pressing down any combination of WASD. Most other keyboards don´t allow you to do that.

RedRaven

will probably break one am using at the moment so will have to look into a decent one,they need pressure sensitivity, but then would have to be solid as hell to make for those occasions of "getting carried away" ::)
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

KillerZ

Well, I went to the store today to try out some of the gaming keyboards.  Of the ones displayed I like the Logitech G15.  It has a nice size and a nice feel.  They did have a keyboard built by steelseries called the Merc Stealth.  It has a gamepad built into the side of the keyboard which makes this thing really wide.  I did think the gamepad option was cool especially for gaming but it is not good for regular keyboard use because to save space they rearranged the other keys.  And I do need to use the keyboard for other apps besides gaming (I'm in school continuing my education). All of the reviews I read said pretty much the same thing.  Also, they said the quality was a little sketchy.  The store also had Logitech's Illuminated Keyboard which is a sweet keyboard, less than 1/2 inch thick and compact in width.  The best part, other than the illuminated keys, was the key action.  Felt really good, almost mechanical.  But since my first love is gaming I went with the G15.  I did read in Logitech's user reviews that you can program the macros for anything including repeatedly used character phrases (as used in programming apps) and menus so that pretty much sold me.  Obviously, your input helped.  So I went with the Logitech.  I haven't hooked it up yet.  Lazy I guess.  Anyway, thanks, guys, for the help.

BTW, since joining this site my gaming time as risen precipitously and has caused me to also purchase FUEL and ARMA II, IDK if Operation Flashpoint has been released yet but I will probably be purchasing that too.  I am NEVER going to get anything done, or a decent nights sleep...  ;)

PZ

Quote from: KillerZ on August 19, 2009, 02:54:03 PM
...BTW, since joining this site my gaming time as risen precipitously and has caused me to also purchase FUEL and ARMA II, IDK if Operation Flashpoint has been released yet but I will probably be purchasing that too.  I am NEVER going to get anything done, or a decent nights sleep...  ;)
lol, you and many others on the site, KillerZ - I've spent more time gaming in the past 10 months as in the prior 10 years  ;D

Art Blade

hahaha, I would never have layed hands on A2 if not for this site, and same goes for OFP:DR once it's out. But I am a gamer for over 20 years now and what the heck is a decent night's sleep? If possible I play all night ;D

PZ

And that's the cool thing - as we tire of older games and develop interests in newer ones, we can easily add boards to quickly create new sets, just like we did for A2!  ;)

Many of us are drooling while we wait for OFP2  ;D

RedRaven

Quote from: Art Blade on August 19, 2009, 03:27:20 PM
and what the heck is a decent night's sleep? If possible I play all night ;D
same here, and often,  :D :-X   

JRD

Quote from: PZ on August 19, 2009, 04:00:09 PM
Many of us are drooling while we wait for OFP2  ;D

I remember some time over a year and a half ago. I was telling a friend of mine, who used to play OFP1 with me, that I heard a rumour they were going to make a sequel... he went "No way, really?"... I said "That's waht I read over the net and can't wait to lay my hands on it"... since then, me and him are exchanging mails and links about OFP2...

... tell me about drooling...  ;)

If I have nothing better to do the next morning and my girl is not at home.... the sun will find me over my PC for sure (and a six six pack in the garbage bin, lol)  ;D ;D ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Just a tip for those of you who have a programmable keyboard such as Logitech G15:

Do you hate it too that in some games you need to keep a mouse button pressed while using a scope? Sniper rifles in FC2 for example? I mean, it's alright if you go like use scope, aim, shoot, release. But... sometimes when you use it for surveillance, you need to keep that button pressed... that one hand is useless and bound to that mouse now... Pity you can't record mouse actions on a keyboard... but I found a w@&k-around :)

Solution:

Open the Logitech keyboard profiler, select a G-key, select "create new macro" and record any keystroke - you will edit that out afterwards. Now right-click into the recorded sequence so a pop-up pops up (sorry, lol) and now you select insert mouse action such as "RMB, keep pressed". Now you delete the previously recorded key so that only the mouse action remains. Save, done.

If I want to observe an area, I hit that key, the scope zips up to my eye and stays there, like magic :) press RMB to untrigger that, going back to normal. HEHE  ;D

DKM2

"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳