Heroes Over Europe

Started by PZ, August 28, 2009, 09:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Anyone know much about this new one from Ubisoft?  The trailer makes the graphics look spectacular.  Supposed to be coming out in September, and is to be available on PC, PS3, XBox.

Warning: this trailer is bandwidth intensive
http://xboxmovies.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/9972/Heroes-Over-Europe-Gameplay-Trailer/

JRD

Now that's a must have, PZ...  :)

btw, I downloaded the vid, much better... 20 MB in a couple of minutes...  :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

I'm envious of your connection speed JRD!  Mostly I get barely enough to get by :)

spaceboy

I'll have to watch the vid later.  But I did read a small preview some time ago and then haven't heard a thing in a while.  Is it primarily dogfighting?  If my flying skills from BF1943 are any sign then I'll do ok in a dogfight but don't ask me to time dropping bombs on anything - I'll always hit the wrong spot!
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

JRD

Here, found two more vids at Gamespot.com

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/heroesovereurope/index.html?tag=result;title;0

... and a nice review at videogamer.com

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/heroes_over_europe/preview-1875.html

from the STEAM page...

About the Game

The sequel to the 2005 World War II flight combat game Heroes of the Pacific, Heroes over Europe takes aspiring combat pilots into the bullet-ridden heart of major World War II air battles in glorious high definition.

Developed by Transmission Games in Melbourne, Australia, and powered by an all-new engine, Heroes Over Europe is set to raise the bar for arcade flying games with the all new "Ace Kill" close combat action and four online modes supporting up to 16 players. Visually, the game takes no prisoners with meticulously rendered environments including faithful recreations of London, Berlin and the French Alps, and ultra-realistic iconic warplanes of the era, all presented in stunning high definition graphics.

Advanced WWII realism: 40+ legendary planes like the Spitfire or the Mustang, iconic environments like Berlin or the French Alps
Immersive dogfights features: Master the "Ace Kill" to blast your enemy with one shot, experience the thrill of rocket, dive bomb and torpedo attacks
Exciting online modes: Play in the two dogfight modes - solo or team dogfights - or choose to fight to the last man in survivor and team survivor

System Requirements
Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon™ X2 3800+ (Intel Core® 2 6400 or AMD Athlon X2 4400+ recommended)
Memory: 1 GB Windows XP (2 GB recommended)/2 GB Windows Vista (4 GB recommended)
Graphics: 256 MB video card with Shader model 3.0+ (*see supported list)
DirectX®: DirectX version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 9 GB free
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
Peripherals Supported: Keyboard, USB controllers, USB flight sticks
Multiplayer: 128kbps Broadband connection (256kbps or faster Broadband recommended)

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

spaceboy

Quote from: JRD on August 28, 2009, 11:37:54 AM
close combat action and four online modes supporting up to 16 players. Visually, the game takes no prisoners with meticulously rendered environments including faithful recreations of London, Berlin and the French Alps, and ultra-realistic iconic warplanes of the era, all presented in stunning high definition graphics.

This.  :-X
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

What a beautiful environment (loved the snow scene) and meticulously detailed aircraft.  The flames coming out of the aircraft looks almost real, as do the tracers as they sip by.  It looks like it is primarily dogfighting which was a favorite of mine when I was younger, and a game that looks very promising - if it is as good as it looks, then I'll probably be forced into PC and PS3 versions (I'm going to go broke at this rate).

Art Blade

Quote from: JRD on August 28, 2009, 11:11:32 AM
btw, I downloaded the vid, much better... 20 MB in a couple of minutes...  :-X

out of couriosity I downloaded it too, like 30 seconds (download about 670kbit/s) and I didn't notice any lags during the stream. Has to be a nice server where that is hosted :)

Game looks cool, and I too liked dogfights the most when I was younger (Aces over the Pacific was my fave game for that matter)

Cheers for the heads-up, another game to consider ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

For anyone interested in game talk at the Ubi forums, here is the link

Heroes over Europe forums

PZ

A new trailer video where the planes are flying in a variety of different environments, day, night, winter, summer, etc.

Gamespot trailer

Art Blade

sure looks nice, something for my HOTAS joystick  :) Haven't seen in in the store yet though  :(
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I'm not sure when exactly it will be released, but Ubi claims sometime in September.

Art Blade

Finishing installation...  ;D ;D ;D

Art Blade

Gah, it's all in German! No language option :( And I bet you'll see the swastika where I see something else, like that iron cross there on the campaign screen. Well, I hope the game itself is ok :)

[smg id=1468 align=center width=400]

PZ

Wow, I'm in eager anticipation - go, Art, go!  :-X :-X :-X

[drooling in anticipation over the upcoming screen captures]

Art Blade

right now I am pretty frustrated as the controls menu is strange. The manual recommends using a joystick or something that is not a keyboard, but the setup doesn't offer a joystick configuration. Just a general controls menu, many of the keys are keys, not buttons. I can't seem to adjust my joystick properly :( It doesn't recognise the axis movements in the setup, but in game it partly uses it. There is no option called "joystick" or any other device.  On top, it has a strange default key setting. Ie, select something with "END" and confirm changes with "HOME" - what the hell?

I started a campaign to see how it works before I realised the joystick didn't quite w@&k, so I RTFM (hehe) but there only was the lapidar comment "make sure you set your game to joystick" - but not how. ARGH!

Going to google a bit now.

PZ

Good luck with it - sounds like it might be a challenge  :-\

Art Blade

well, on the UBI forums (general forum, not even a specific HoE forum there) I just read some complaints and agreeing comments that there is no joystick option. They say that the game was out in the States 15Sept09 and that they were waiting for a patch there. I found a post "there is a US patch, link somewhere in this forum..." great. Going to find that US patch.

PZ

Well, it's not a good sign when you need to patch the game just to make it w@&k, and from the sound of it, anyone interested should probably get a joystick in addition to the game - might need to make another Amazon run.

Art Blade

The german forum has various posts of people who claim to have returned the game to the stores. Due to "missing joystick function" and one wrote "amidst a campaign the game reset the (only) savegame file to zero" - and if you look at the HoE forum... oh dear. I'm really considering to return the game too... but will try that US patch which I have just found.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/6961076977

Art Blade

wow, the game just crashed in the background, I still hear the music but there is no process in the task manager... nice  :-\

Art Blade

LOL the music is from the HoE homepage (flash player)  ;D I was just about to shut down my pc, and on closing FireFox, suddenly the music stopped. <slaps own forehead with flat hand> ;D

PZ

rofl, that has happened to me a couple of times!

I'm off to see if I can find HOE today (U.S. version obviously).  Then see if we have the same issues as the European version - probably need to find some kind of joystick though - any recommendations?

Art Blade

sure: here :)

Installed patch 1.01 from here:

http://static3.cdn.ubi.com/heroes_over_europe/Heroes_Over_Europe_v1.01.exe

now at least it works, albeit it is not fully customisable (due to the game) - leave all settings to default and it will w@&k fair enough.

Like this... trying to steer on "pro" (vs arcade) and taking a screenshot while rather low is not recommendable ;)

[smg id=1469 align=center width=400]

PZ

Is that blood in your eyes, Baron?  ;D

Thanks for the stick recommendation  :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳