Swamp boat on dry land.

Started by spearhead_22, March 23, 2009, 12:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spearhead_22

I wonder why it's called a Swamp Boat, can't seem to see any marshy areas around. I'll give a penny to anyone who can sail this boat!  :P

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Don't knock on Heaven's door. Ring the bell and...run! He hates it. :)

Midway

When you blow up the water pipeline, then you will see what that boat is for.  I use it to get to the buddy in trouble at the mine after blowing up the pipe  :)

Dweller_Benthos

I read somewhere that if you blow up the pipeline before doing one of the missions at the mine, you can't then do that mission, because the mine is flooded.

true?
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Well, although I've managed to push boats back into the water when it was close, this one looks to be a bit too difficult...  (love the 6P9 by the way)

D_B, I don't know about losing a mission due to the flooded mine - have never noticed.  However, even though "they" say that the mine is flooded, I don't see evidence of that when I scout the area.  Anyone have experience with this?

spaceboy

Certainly I've been out to the mine once flooded (Nasreen derided my use of firearms on that mission) so it makes sense you could miss another mission unless that sequence is not possible.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Dweller_Benthos

It's from wikipedia, it doesn't say specifically that you lose the mission, I guess I mis-read it:

The player's actions may also have a lasting effect because the character may interact with the environment: for example, one of the missions shown by the developers had the player sabotage a pipeline owned by one of the factions that is pumping fresh water from the lake to a neighboring country, exchanging it for arms and munition. After the player destroys it, part of the surrounding area becomes flooded, including a mine where another mission may take place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_cry_2
D_B

PZ

The subtle features of the game astound me on a regular basis - which reminds me about another one that I recently encountered on the 8th time through the game (I'm a bit unobservant as I'm becoming older):

Before the north rail yard mission where the subverted mission takes you to where your buddy has derailed a train east of PetroSahel, the rails are clear, but after that mission is completed, the train wreck remains there throughout the rest of your game, i.e., no re-spawn of the original conditions.

Reminds me of the airfield where the propane tank is exploded and remains that way.  Anyone else have areas like these to report? 

On an aside, it is interesting that Ubi coded these non-re-spawn areas in part of the game and then made the posts re-spawn in sometimes unreasonably fast rates.

JRD

Quote from: pzrzao on March 24, 2009, 08:18:48 AM

Reminds me of the airfield where the propane tank is exploded and remains that way.  Anyone else have areas like these to report? 

On the northeast area of Leboa there is a guard post with explosives supply.
Last time I went there for diamonds hunting I noticed that the large propane tank was also blown beforme my assault. The guards were there though.
Not that it really matters, just thinking about how much the environment changes after your actions.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Midway

All propane tanks do not "repair themselves" after being exploded (unlike petrol drums and pumps).  Another example is the one at the Post Office.

There is a guard post south of the Mine I like screwing around with.  I like to get at the Safehouse that is south of this post across the ravine and snipe the drums and propane tanks.  It's funny watching the guys running around with an inferno around them, lol.

JRD

Quote from: Midway on March 24, 2009, 09:18:30 AM
All propane tanks do not "repair themselves" after being exploded (unlike petrol drums and pumps).  Another example is the one at the Post Office.
Strange, I could swear I blew up more than once the large propane tank in the guard post of the south central area of Leboa, the one with medical supplies west of the island.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Midway

Maybe I need to amend that to "Most propane tanks..."  ;D

PZ

How about the large fuel tanks like the one on the boat dock on the western side of the Ranger Station?

Dweller_Benthos

I have noticed some of the propane tanks didn't seem to respawn, never really thought about it until now. I can think of a couple reasons, either they just plain forgot to set the respawn value for these, or there was a reason it wasn't or couldn't be set. Or, it might have been another type of mission planned, but never put into place, destroy all large propane tanks.

Back to the original topic, when you destroy the pipeline, does Weelegol Village get it's water back, too? Or does it only reach as far as the mine? If you'll notice, Weelegol is a fishing village set up on stilts and there are a bunch of wooden canoes left high and dry there, as if the water was drained away. Just wondering, since the layout of the landscape seems to be set up for the water to run that far.
D_B

PZ

I don't know myself - have never seen Weelegol with water; I just sort of assumed that it had dried out and was thereby abandoned.

Midway

I haven't seen Weelegol with water either.  I think the water just curves northward below and under the bridge and floods the mine.

Midway

This is the same boat after blowing up the pipeline and filling the canyon with water.

[I then hopped in it and raced to save Nasreen at the Mine]

Dweller_Benthos

I see your boat on dry land and raise you:

A boat on a bridge, lol

With a bonus of landing on a guy and killing him, Dorothy-style.
D_B

Midway

LOL, how did you accomplish this, D_B?

PZ

Midway,
Where is the location of this boat - having both views dry and flooded is something I'd like to add as camera snapshots to the maps.  Although I know the general location, I've forgotten exactly where to find this one.

Midway

If you look at the hang glider shot I did, look on the right side and you will see a path that is heading down the side of the gourge.  At the end of it is a little dock with the boat.

PZ

I added the "before" and "after" flooding screen caps to the map - kind of cool to be able to see these things and recognize that there are always new things to experience!

Note: look for the camera icons:

• Hover your mouse over the icon to read it's information
  • Click the icon to reveal the content
Bowa - south central region

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: Midway on March 25, 2009, 11:38:54 AM
LOL, how did you accomplish this, D_B?

I used the Radiance trainer, which has a fun feature called vehicle hop. Hit a key and your vehicle will hop about 50 feet in the air. Once you get the hang of it, it's just a matter of timing and speed. The thing is, it doesn't always w@&k, and sometimes it works on other vehicles, but not the one you're in, and sometimes it does nothing. It is kinda fun to hop an enemy vehicle so high in the air that the bots freak out and jump out, falling to their deaths.
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳