"Dirty" Tricks

Started by Art Blade, August 09, 2009, 08:31:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Maybe you've seen this too: A race with everyone using the same vehicle, yet somehow one driver is able to catch up and even overtake others.

I asked the guy who managed to catch up and overtake me on a straight after he was 75m behind (I was proud because during the previous curves I had out-manoeuvred him). Both of us were using the same vehicle. He said "slip stream, and steer plain straight." Believe me, I tried to gain speed in a slip stream and I know how to drive straight, but as far as I know, there is no slip-streaming in FUEL. I told him "when I looked back (because I couldn't believe it) you were way to my side AND pulling up from 75m away," he said he didn't know, "maybe you get faster over time" - which you don't.

I didn't want to call him cheater because I couldn't prove it. However, you know me, I am damn curious and wanted to know how the heck you can do that.

Three things I found out:

1) Water. The hovercraft drives at like 100/101mph straight, but if you start swerving, quick little changes of directions, left/right/left/right, you'll notice an increase of speed to like 103mph

2) Road motorcycles. The "slipstream" (lol) runs at like 130mph straight. Move carefully to the side of the track so you hit the dirt, you will hear your engine howl once you're off track, then get back on track at constant 131/132mph

3) Offroad Bikes. Didn't notice any special behaviour since they grip both on asphalt and on dirt. But if you lose grip, pull the bike up, shifting weight onto the back wheel, forcing it down, forcing a little extra grip. May lead your bike to rear, but you can control that. You may be able to start quicker and to climb slopes a little better.

Since this is in-game stuff, I don't consider it cheating, but hey, it is unfair if you race someone who knows and you don't. Now you know  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Tags:
🡱 🡳