Display settings

Started by fragger, August 01, 2009, 05:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

I guess this is the place to post this... Just a question about display settings, wondering what "Post" and "HDR" mean - I change them but I can't tell what's changed in the game.

Art Blade

HDR means High Dynamic Range and refers to light/dark areas, especially the type that imitates bright sunlight and shadowy parts when they meet. I.e. when you're in a dark shack, perhaps burnt-out, walls black with soot, and you peek outside into plain noon sunny daylight - you get blinded and won't see much, needs a little to get used to until you start seeing things again. Also that "aura" effect if sunlight reflects from smooth surfaces (but that is also called a "bloom" effect and can  be combined). If you disable HDR, the difference between bright and dark is not so impressive, it will level the colours and brightness. Actually you might see better without HDR, but with it enabled the experience is more life-like.

Post (-processing) usually adds effects such as motion blur (like when driving fast, your peripheral view is distorted) and other stuff, like adding to explosions, smoke, that kind of thing.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Thanks muchly, Art! With my knowledge of graphic processes it could've stood for "High Definition Rain" or "Huge Destructive Radius" or some such...

Cheers!  :)

Art Blade

welcome, fragger :)

Try switching off/on one effect at a time, not everything, and check how it looks. then go back switch it back off/on again. If you do it like that you'll know the differences, you could leave one switched off/on and switch something else on or off and repeat. Like that it's easier to find out what does what :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

KingRat

Quote from: fragger on August 01, 2009, 05:49:59 AM
Thanks muchly, Art! With my knowledge of graphic processes it could've stood for "High Definition Rain" or "Huge Destructive Radius" or some such...

Cheers!  :)

:D
check out the HDR rendering in this old review...scroll down to view the 3 bottom pics> http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/hardware/1559_3.html

Art Blade

we need to replace that ":D" with something like that ";D" because ":D" looks strangely different from ":"+"D".

;D

fragger

:) Thanks for all the help, guys! Now that I know what to look for, I can see the difference. Looks incredible! This game must have the best environmental & lighting effects ever, can almost feel the sun and the breeze!

fragger

Sorry to bombard you with questions, this isn't display-related but I didn't want to initiate a whole new topic just for it. I'm still new to the whole forum thing and I'm wondering what the "applaud" and "smite" buttons do. I wasn't game to touch them without knowing what the consequences would be. I can't imagine I'd ever want to "smite" any of you good folks!

On the subject of newness, if I do anything wrong here, or overstep any marks, please tell me - as I say, I'm new to this. I don't want to annoy anyone, or come across as being overly-familiar too early. You know what they (rightly) say about that.

Geez, where'd all that come from? Must need fresh infusion of strong coffee...

Cheers all!  :)

Art Blade

need another coffee, good you mentioned that :)

The applaud adds 1 Karma, smite takes one. If you like a member for whatever reasons, you applaud him, if you think he's horrible, you smite him. You see the Karma to the left next to the avatar of each member, on top of the online status symbol :) Oh, and it can be applied several times to the same member.

By the way, don't worry, we don't kill people if they do something wrong or differently... we only skin them.

fragger

Cheers mate! Must dash, the missus is due back soon - and just in time, I think...  ;D

Art Blade

alright matey :)

glad she's not here, else we might have to add a WOK-button so she could "whang" you if she's in the mood... actually that might apply to some other wives too. WWB, Wive's-Wok-Button lol ;D

PZ

While I'm glad that you want to stick to protocol fragger, the only "rule" at OWG is to enjoy yourself.  I've been to other sites where you need to hang around and determine the "unwritten law" before you post, else risk incurring the wrath of someone - that is not the case here.  We might have the same question posted several times, but that is just fine; you'll not offend us.  You might think of our forums as a place where you converse as in "real life".  For instance, if we were having a conversation around the water cooler in the office, and a new person entered and asked a question that had been asked before, how many of us would rudely interrupt and say "that's been asked before, go find out yourself" - I'll bet that none of you would do that in a face-to-face situation.   Here at OWG we behave the same as we do in our real lives - courtesy and respect will get you everything.  ;)

Hacko

That would be funny to hear around the water cooler...."Use the search function next time, before asking a question." ;D

KingRat

Quote from: Hacko on August 02, 2009, 10:22:25 AM
That would be funny to hear around the water cooler...."Use the search function next time, before asking a question." ;D
That or 'RTFM!'  ;D

Art Blade

or "How long did you say you have worked here? I mean, without counting tomorrow...  :-*"

PZ

lol, so true - some people on other forums are wearing their shorts just a bit too tight.  ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳