The GP mercs set up a road block on me!

Started by PZ, July 28, 2009, 09:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I experienced something interesting while on an underground (malaria) mission in southeast Bowa-Seko.  To get to the underground house, you need to go through a GP, which I did by racing through (I was in a hurry) so the mercs didn't die.  On the way back to the bus stop, I intended on racing through the GP again, but because I was driving so fast I couldn't stay on the road through the post (at least that's what I thought) and crashed into a barrier.  To survive, I had to exit my vehicle and do them all in.  Afterward, I discovered that there was a blue metal barrel and one of those blue plastic-looking barrels placed exactly in the path.  What made it interesting is that it did not appear random - they were very neatly, and exactly placed side by side between two concrete barriers - made the whole thing look like a solid wall.

Tricky buggers... ;)

spaceboy

Wouldn't it be great if they did more stuff like setting traps for you or hiding so you think it's deserted and then come out shooting at you?

Maybe you've been playing for so many hours PZ that the AI is now learning and becoming smarter.  Soon, they'll start convincing you to leave the game running while your away..."Come on PZ, we have nothing to do when you shut down.  We'll be good, just drink some beers, a little target practice, maybe some gold panning or fishing."  And then before you know it they'll take control of your PC, then all electrical devices in your home...you can't shut down.  They've locked you in your house.   ::)
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

lol, sounds like the Twilight Zone, spaceboy!  We have noticed that they do all kinds of things in their "spare time", so it is quite possible that they could do something like this under the proper circumstances.  :-X

RedRaven

they never pop out to the shops for bread & milk, or run to the chip shop for dinner tho ;D
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

spaceboy

cyber-food.  I think it was Art that posted a pic of guy sitting down to eat, fork and knife cutting through air on an empty plate.   

btw, how come these poor mercs have no women mercs?  We've got 3 female friends who are mercs.  They must be really jealous - that's why they try to shoot you on site!
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

RedRaven

cos they spend all their time hanging with mates or Chasing after us. bet they dont send flowers to mum on mothers day either . . . .
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

Good memory, spaceboy :) Are you sure you're one of the old farts?  ;D

[smg id=166]

At least we know some of the mercs miss girls. Ricamundo happens to love that particular line giving it away... "f@#k the beer, we need women"
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

TheFishlord

Quote from: spaceboy on July 28, 2009, 10:07:52 AM
Wouldn't it be great if they did more stuff like setting traps for you or hiding so you think it's deserted and then come out shooting at you?

I think this actually happened to me once. Maybe it's a side effect of getting detected early, but I didn't think I was! I dartsniped the sniper at Sepoko from the south and moved in. My USAS is up, ready to blow away anyone I don't like. Not a sound. I think to myself that means that they haven't seen me yet! Great.

I'm nearly at the road barrier (the one with the sign about survivers being shot), then suddenly they're opening up on me from the house across the street, through the tin fence, over the barrier, and rockets from their missile guy. Felt like a real ambush.

I would pass it off as just getting detected and the mercs hiding, but the fact that somehow, they all open fire at the same time, from different positions, and they AREN'T whispering like little girls to each other makes me think they planned it... :D

PZ

Sure does sound like like a planned ambush - they're always babbling lines like "Let's get this on" "We got a live one!" "Well, look what we got" "you aint nuthin' and I'm gonna make you whole lot less than nuthin'"

Art Blade

you guys remind me of some of the CockFights merc wars I had the pleasure of watching: The mercs go into panic mode first (did you catch that? / did you hear that? - let's check it out etc) then, if nothing happens, they go silent for a while and start searching, then they start chatting again ("where are you" if nothing happed, "there he is" if they found you or enemies). So far I think we all know that. The special part is when they spread out and one gets killed - the remaining mercs used quite often to wait it out for a certain amount of time, enough time I would have thought "they're all dead now" and then start moving again.

I can only imagine that they first noticed you (maybe the dart sniped guy), did clutter and yak, then went into silent waiting mode - probably exactly seconds before you finally showed up, then return to attack mode :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Your comment reminded me of a slight glitch in the AI when I was at the post office - I was on the roof of the building where you find the diamond and someone said "You catch that?" and at the same time I had flung a couple of Molotovs to start fires burning, which torched some of the flammables and the entire place was going up in flames - at that moment another merc said "nah... was nuthin' - hey, you hear about Ned?"

iGame3D

Quote from: spaceboy on July 28, 2009, 10:07:52 AM

Oh they do. I sniped at least seven guys at the mine today. Did a full circle around the joint looking to use up my darts and be sure the area was clear. Saw nothing. Moved in for the dynamite, looking this way and that, dead silent.
Get within two feet of the dynamite and blam blam chakka chakka, at least five more guys popped out of the woodwork!

At the pipeline, I started sniping, and they started running for cover.
I waited, and waited, and waited, not a moving soul to be found.
Then cut loose with the mounted grenade launcher.
No sign of anyone. Took the hang glider in, and sure enough a bunch of guys were hiding out.

Another time I shot up a bunch of guys, think at lakeside, saw one guy holding his guts in and limping into a house. Figure he'd bleed to death. Searched the area for more people, not a soul. Walked into the house, saw what looked like a dead man laying against the wall, then BAM BAM BAM he opens up on me as soon as my back was too him.

PZ

What difficulty level are you playing?  I wonder if that bears on the furtive nature of the merc population.

Tags:
🡱 🡳