openoffice.org

Started by PZ, July 21, 2009, 07:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Not sure if you guys know about this organization, but they offer a freeware open source productivity suite similar to MS Office.  In fact, you can even save in MS Office format for document exchange purposes.  In the suite are what you might expect: database (Access), spreadsheet (Excel), word processing (Word), and presentation (Powerpoint).  Totally free, this is a great solution for those that don't want to fork over the $ for the MS products.

spaceboy

Thanks for the info.  Do you know are the files like spreadsheets stored locally on your machine or on a web server?
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

Completely local - think of openoffice like MS office.  All files are on your machine, and all documents are stored locally on your machine.  It requires only Java to run. but does not thereafter require you to be online when you operate the programs.  I've used this in the past, and it works quite well.

PZ

Glade to be of help - You know, I've used software like this for years, and I'll bet that other members have done the same with various software packages that are free.  In fact, at my w@&k I'm known for being the freeware king - can get just about anything done with freeware.

The point is that many of us take for granted the things that we do and think to ourselves "man, everyone knows about this...", when in reality it might be that not many people actually have had the benefit of that knowledge.  I see it many times in the FC2 posts when someone replies "thanks for the tip, I never knew that..."

It wouldn't be a bad idea for us to post the handy tips that we know, even off topic, because it might help others that are unaware.

JRD

Quote from: PZ on July 21, 2009, 07:59:29 PM
Glade to be of help - You know, I've used software like this for years, and I'll bet that other members have done the same with various software packages that are free.  In fact, at my w@&k I'm known for being the freeware king - can get just about anything done with freeware.

The point is that many of us take for granted the things that we do and think to ourselves "man, everyone knows about this...", when in reality it might be that not many people actually have had the benefit of that knowledge.  I see it many times in the FC2 posts when someone replies "thanks for the tip, I never knew that..."

It wouldn't be a bad idea for us to post the handy tips that we know, even off topic, because it might help others that are unaware.

Man, I was just posting the following...  :D

Thanks PZ... always a good tip  :-X

Are you guys familiar with the Free Software Foundation?
They begun creating free software in the 80's as an alternative for expansive software... latter on, during the 90's and 00's, developing a software became quite easy with the popularization of PC, and they started makng feasible free software created by regular users.

I've downloaded some softaware they created (or someone who published under their organization) and its just geat... a real use for computers science worldwide...
... if you are not familiar with them, check them out  :-X

They created the GNU project and the GNU General Public License (GPL)...
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

No, I didn't know about that organization - thanks for the tip, and I'll be sure to investigate - it sure is nice to have free solutions to software issues that you may have.  On the same topic, it is also nice to be able to donate to their efforts.  :-X

Hacko

I just started using openoffice this year. It works just as well as MS Office but without having to pay Bill Gates for buggy software.

Good alternative to Office. :-X

Art Blade

I read about it several times in my favourite computer magazine, they keep recommending it for ages. Personally, I don't need it at home, and my office is part of a huge company that keeps using MS and Lotus.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

Us  myself quite a bit, its great.  :-X
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Tags:
🡱 🡳