"New weapons unlocked" after escaping from the prison

Started by PZ, July 20, 2009, 08:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I'm sure that most of you have seen this message pop up when completing the mission to escape the prison - but has anyone determined what it means?  All of the weapons were already unlocked before I even started the mission, and I do not see anything different in the weapons shop.  One interesting thing however, after completing the escape and going to a safe house, I noticed that the .50 assault truck was now mounted with a grenade launcher.

JRD

I guess all weapons are unlocked after you escape prision even if you didn't accomplish all convoy missions.
Maybe because you are about to go into the Heart of Darkness and the game wants you to have any weapon you can purchase available.
But that's just guessing
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

I got the assault trucks with grenade launchers after doing the bridge mission. But I guess once you get far enough in the game, it just unlocks everything.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

My thought was that it might be the GL replacement for the .50 at your safe house vehicles - that is, as long as you have done enough side missions to have your safe houses upgraded.  The shame is that you are really close to the end of the game when you get those beauties.

However, you could side track and return to Leboa to find the rest of the diamonds and tapes if you really wanted to - would be great to have the GL assault truck in the north - no RPGs to worry about!

Dweller_Benthos

I took a grenade truck back up north once, just to fool around with it. I was hoping that the safe house trucks up there would be grenades but they are just 50 cals.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Yeah, I found that out too the hard way and lamented the fact that there was not a safe house close to the border in Bowa.  :'(

Art Blade

what made me swear real loud was the fact that the first time in bowa none of your safe houses have the upgrades you worked so hard for in Leboa. Start over, great.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Exactly, and your reputation takes a hit too.  While on the subject, there are several places in the game where my reputation increases, but the game reports a level lower than one I had previously achieved.  I was at reputation level 5 not long ago, but then the game took me back to level 3 for some reason, and the town mercs started giving me a bad time.  Make it a habit to off at least one town guy on every visit now.

PZ

Well, I've been keeping track, and I reached reputation level 4 at 69% - the mercs in town were suitably frightened, and were not afraid to voice their opinions when I entered Port Selao.  Then, just after doing the mission to retrieve the case full of diamonds, the "Reputation increased" popup appeared followed by the message "You have reached reputation level 3" - interesting, and always happens to me.  Also, before the "escape prison" part, I had the .50 mounted AT upgrade at all safe houses (with rep level 4)  After the prison escape, I plan to check the safe houses to see if I have the GL AT upgrade which might explain the "You have new weapons unlocked" message.

EDIT: I went to a safe house immediately after escaping from the prison and the mounted .50 AT was now a GL.  Don't know if it has anything to do with the "New weapons" message, or if it was just due to a regular increase in reputation.

Roaven

You unlock all weapons. I can confirm this somewhat as I got the achievement for doing all the convoy missions even though I didn't.

PZ

I guess that it is probably a generic message then because I've always unlocked all weapons via the convoy.  Good to know  :-X

Art Blade

been a while, but now I'm fresh out of prison (lol). The reputation decrease sprang to mind and I checked when exactly and what exactly happened. I was on rep4 before I got the diamond case and sickness level 3. Immediately after the Jackal stomps you to unconsciousness, respectively when you wake up in prison, both values have been reduced by 1. So I got sickness level 2 and reputation level 3 again. Didn't matter whether or not I rescued my best buddy from prison. Going to check the GLAT, but haven't got that "new weapons message" yet.

Art Blade

just got that message. Interestingly, the screen shook, and my sicknesslevel increased, now it's sl 3 and rep 3. Going to check a safehouse now if there's a GLAT now  (never did that before) :)

Oh, also, I never noticed that in prison there is a brand new desert eagle on the crate where that assault rifle is leaning against. Haha, why did I always use rotten weapons...

Art Blade

Well, I only and still have a .50 cal AT. No GLAT. :(

PZ

I agree: my initial thought regarding the weapons upgrade message had nothing to do with the GL AT because I managed to gain that handy weapon after the rail bridge mission when I was transitioning from 69% 73% or so.

Art Blade

alright :) Still, Basically there is nothing left to do for me but the last few main missions, and those are without any support of buddies = can't get more chances to increase anything, now I'm on Rep5, my BB's history kept at 34 (lol) -- I wonder what I missed out. All I know is that I indeed skipped a BB mission in Leboa, like "wreck the train" because I wanted to keep the railroad functional for me to drive on with my car.

Art Blade

Checked again, I've got 10/12 buddy missions, so I left one out in Bowa, too. That would explain why you could achieve the update after the rail crossing mission :)

PZ

I'm currently at 62% and will carefully monitor exactly when the transition occurs this time through, but it may be a while due to Assassin's Creed 2  ;)

I know I'll return to FC2 though - I always have  :-X

Art Blade

:) same here  :-X

I'll do all buddy missions next time. :)

Art Blade

on a sidenote, the landingzone resets your sickness level to 0, and when you leave it (supposedly after you killed your buddies), the screen shakes again and indeed, sickness level 5 (same as reputation level 5) again. Obviously the devs didn't want to torment you with a malaria attack during that "boss fight" :)

PZ

Good observation - I never noticed my sickness level when at the LZ (too busy most of the time)  ;D

Most of my plays through these days include killing all (but one) of the buddies in Leboa so my time is a bit easier at the LZ.  By the way, have you ever tried setting 8 IEDs at the LZ before you start the final action?

Art Blade

No.

This was my third playthrough, and I willingly let all of my buddies survive (but those needed to get room for the extra buddies). The last through I killed all but one. This time I wanted to regale myself with whatever I could get at the LZ, but only 6 showed up. A bullet from my Desert Eagle to the head dropped them, the next bullet killed them.

Now going to start my 4th or 5th playthrough, bloody can't remember :) :) :)

Art Blade

I remember now that I'm playing the nitrous truck mission that I skipped that one during my last playthrough, too, because I wanted to keep Sefapane intact. That's why I only got 10/12 (the other mission I skipped was blowing up the train on the railroad because I wanted to keep the railroad intact). Going to to complete all BB missions and see if I can get a GLAT at my safehouses too, I'm expecting it to happen after the last BB mission, which should be blowing up the bridge with that 500lb bomb. :)

Art Blade

woo-hoo :) I've got my safehouse upgrade, too :) I have GLATs at every Bowa safehouse!!  ;D :-X

You need to do every buddy mission offered along with those main missions = 12/12. I got my upgrade after blowing up the rail crossing bridge, too.

Tags:
🡱 🡳