An FC2 bug that worked in my favor...

Started by PZ, July 17, 2009, 10:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

... for the first time, I encountered a glitch in a mission which worked in my favor.  Was doing an assassination mission to kill the suit in Mosate Selao - easy to do with a dart to the chest of the guy while he was smoking a cigarette.  I turned to run away like I usually do expecting to hear the sounds of gunfire behind me, but all was silent.  In fact, although I had the "Escape your attackers" message on the screen, my weapon was in the non-threatening position.  Curious, I turned to see the town mercs just standing as they usually do.  However, as I neared, they first told me the "cease fire" line but then they pulled their guns and told me to stand down... the curious part is that I already had my weapon in the safe position.  Funny part is that they were standing over the dead body of the suit.  I walked about town for a while, but all was normal and quiet. I finally left town unmolested for another assassination mission, satisfied that the town mercs were completely unaware of what I did.  This one felt like a new form of immersion - rather than being immediately attacked when I killed someone in town, I was able to kill the guy without anyone the wiser - quite fun actually, and something I wish the developers had programmed into the game.

Art Blade

nice one :) Indeed, I also wish that their omnipresent instant alertness wasn't that developed: once you turn one loose, the entire populace knows it was you. Even more so if you shot someone  ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

cool story.  I think we all wish we could have had the town mercs be less all-knowing.  And that maybe they'd shoot each other once in a while.  ;)
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

Thanks for nudging my memory spaceboy, there was one other thing I wanted to mention, but I couldn't remember it until I read your reply.  I was attacking a GP this morning when a merc ran out in front of another merc manning a mounted machine gun - I could see the blood spurt as the bullets hit him from the machine gun - the merc manning it said "Jesus Christ... sorry man..."

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

oh, man I wish I could've seen/heard that.  They do care about each other, those mercs.

PZ

I really like how the conversation among the mercs change as you progress through the game.  For instance, I just earned the Utility trophy for doing all the cell tower missions and I had completed all of the side missions (42/40) and went to Mosate Selao where I bumped into a merc who said "You're that freelancer, aren't you?  I don't want any trouble here brutha..."

Art Blade

the only game I remember with a similar amount of idle chat and random lines as well as story-dependent remarks is... FarCry1  ;D

spaceboy

That's interesting to know from your exerience Art.   I have never experienced that but the games I've played are not as diverse as others.  I really liked that in FC2 and was about the only dissapointment with inFamous - that the citizen interactions, while dynamic, were not as varied and organic.

Art Blade

in FC1 there were mercs too, and they would chat and banter all the time. Their lines changed with your progress in the game. I often tried to hide and listen to them and the stuff they were telling... made me laugh quite often. Now you can imagine my relief when I learned that FC2 stuck to that concept :)

PZ

Just completed another play through this morning and started with another at 4% (the point where you're standing on the porch of the Church and the "You are now free to roam..." message appears.  This time I decided to do assassination missions first to get diamonds to purchase my favorite weapons.  Did the first assassination mission and it went as expected.  The second one was to kill the Pala target (the one on the north end of town).  He was in an alley, so I headed toward him passing only a single merc.  I intended to hit the target and then rapidly spin to get the merc I just passed and run like heck out of town.  At least that was my plan - turns out that after hitting the target, I spun around and the merc was facing away from me, and my weapon was in the "stand down" position.  In other words, I did not need to escape because no one was alerted, and I calmly strolled back to my vehicle, and on the way out, stole the diamond for good measure.  This brings to mind a question, because this is relatively new for me.  If no one in town sees you kill someone, will they not be alerted?  Might be fun to find an isolated merc, do him in and see what happens.

Art Blade

I'm just fooling around in Pala killing everything for hours. I noticed that with my 6P9, headshots, the mercs don't seem to notice and begin to calm down. I killed the mercs in the small alleys and dark corners of Pala, mercs not coming. But when I killed them with other mates around watching, the town started buzzing and humming like a wasp nest, and every merc on alert once again. I'll have to experiment with that more. So far, the first shot always alerted the entire town, but maybe I didn't do those too secretly. Will give it another go and have fun, anyway :)

JRD

I once killed the target in pala on that same alley... he was taking a leak, all by himslef, when I sliced him with the machete... no sound but the "thud" of his body on the ground.
Then I heard someone over the fence going "Did you hear that?" "Yeah, lets check it out"
Someone here said they seem to share a collective mind, so once one of them gets alerted, the whole town knows YOU did it.
And that's pretty much my experience... everytime I try to kill someone unnotice at Pala or any town, I get caught.
Only time I managed to do so was when I used an IED to kill a target. he never saw me dropping the gift and I had time to slowly walk away and touch off... but still, they knew it was me who pushed the button  :(
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

True... like me. As I said, the first shot, even if silenced, alerted everyone. The lines you just quoted sound waaaaay too familiar to me hahahaha! Bastards always seem to know what I'm about to do there, and probably laughing secretly as they think "there he comes again. Let him think we don't know... and once he squeezes the trigger, everyone, GET HIM"  ;D ;D ;D ;D

PZ

Your experiences are typically the same as what I've experienced all these months of playing, and that's what made this episode so unique - no one alerted, and my gun was not in the hostile position.

TheFishlord

This bug happened to me once in Pala, and it wasn't even a silent weapon. I was having the usual fun playing with the mercs. I backed one up into one of those little porch corners with his hands up. He's doing the usual crap "Back away. You dont' want to do this mate."

Then he says "We both know you ain't gonna do s#!t." So I blew his head off with my Desert Eagle - and nobody bats an eye, like they were glad he was shut up or something  ;D

PZ

lol, that's one I'd like to see!  I'm going to start playing in the towns a bit more.  I really like the banter that goes on.  :-X

Art Blade

"town play" was always one of my favourites (let's say, since I had supporting cheats) and I still can do it for a few hours. Quite relaxing and fun ;)

Tags:
🡱 🡳