Call of Duty "4.2" Modern Warfare 2

Started by Art Blade, July 12, 2009, 07:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

I already really liked CoD4, and someone else seems to have thought the same. Actually funny, to have a subsequel ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwXQ8s050RA

Edit: This video has been removed by the user.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Cool vid... I think I heard them saying "He has a contact in Rio" and then some scenes in a slam  :D
HAWX has a level in Rio as well and soon Max Payne will be fighting through the streets of São Paulo...
What's the image you may have from my country he?  ;D ;D ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

...that it provides cool locations? :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

For those of you who fancy military stuff and who would also like to see somthing like the stuff in the following link in a game like FC2 or CoD, you've got to watch this.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=19d_1208111536

deadman1

There´s a rumour giong that the PC version is going to be delayed a couple of weeks, I will hopefully have more on that tomorrow.

Update: Activisions swedish office has apparently no info regarding any delay, so it´s still just a rumour. I´ll keep an eye on this and update this post as soon as I find any more info.

Art Blade

I don't know which word is worse, "w@&k" or "delayed"  ;D Thanks for the info, deadman :-X

Fiach

I was reading an article on CoD 4/2, about the amount of money it will generate, to cut a long story short, they are adding a fiver on to the price of the game ..... just because they can, the CEO wanted to make it more, but "common sense" prevailed. That five pounds will raise the price to £55 (€60), which is 15-20€ more expensive than the average RRP here.

That five pounds alone will generate 50 million pounds extra revenue, extrapolate that to the €20 differential, so it will be 200 mill € extra revenue, for that one game, compared to a normal game release price.  :'(

I liked CoD 4, but will wait for the bargain bin or second hand version, just on principle alone I will not buy it on release, but it will probably be the biggest selling game on consoles ever (I dont include the WII in that of course, regardless of my pitiful stand :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

Is that what they call a "rip-off"?

/irony mode off

OK, always be careful with statements like those. As long as it isn't a quote from said CEO, it could be just a trick of trade rivals to prevent us from buying it so they can sell their product to us instead.

Fiach

Nope, 'tis true unfortunately.   >:( :'(

deadman1

Good news!! I have just read an interview with the developer (Infinity Ward) and they confirm that the PCversion is NOT delayed but will be released as previously promised on november 10.  :-X

Art Blade

Gee, another shooter ante portas  ;D :-X

fragger

:-X Cheers, deadman! I'm looking forward to that one, ModWar was my fave out the CoD series.
I wonder if Captain Price survived the fight on the bridge... I hope he did, he's cool!

fragger

Had a rostered day off today, so I thought I'd go see what's new in my local gaming shop. There was MW2 in the new release section, so I thought, Alright!! I grabbed a copy, came home and tried to install it.

First hint of woe: Splash screen says "Internet connection required". I thought, oh-oh, that probably means one thing - STEAM! I went ahead with the install, it told me it was installing components (whatever the hell that means), then it asked for the product key. So I typed it in. Next message I get is:
"Modern Warfare cannot be installed at this time as it is not yet released", or words to that effect.

WTF!!!

After a bit of poking around on the net I discovered that even though the game is being sold here, and I bought it today (Nov 11), it's not released until Nov 12, so presumably I'll have to wait until tomorrow night after w@&k to install it.

Remember the good old days where you just bought a game, installed it and played it?

So this is my rating of the game thus far:

I can't install it unless I activate it with my Steam account
Knock off a few points for that.

I can activate it, but I can't install it yet because Steam says I'm not allowed to
Knock off a few more.

I bought it in a shop with complete legality, with my hard-earned dough, but can't play it because Steam hasn't released it yet
Knock off the rest.

So until such time as I get to install the game and play it, I'm giving this game a big fat zero. No doubt it'll get a better score when I do finally get to play it and I'm over my exasperation, but it better be bloody good to offset the anger-inducement factor.

Final Summation:

Steam sucks!!!!!

fragger

:D I should have bought Fallout3, I saw that there, but then saw MW2 and got that instead (smacks self upside head)

Fiach

Yeah HL2 pissed off alot of people when it was released as well, due to the whole steam thing, IIRC it didnt affec the 360 version.

It could be a timezone thing, maybe if you try again in a few hours you should be good to go.

Fiach

Just to confirm a couple of things.

Internet is not needed for the console versions of the game.

The game looks awesome, probably the BEST looking FPS ever.

The price...... head of dev said it would be shipping at full price +£5, this caused an uproar among fans.
Here the game is priced at €45, which is the cheapest I have ever seen a new release 360 game, usually they are €50-60, I reckon he got his a$$ kicked by marketing lol :)

The game is solid COD4, tight and punchy, I disliked WaW personally.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it mate, when you get it up and running :)

mmosu

I thought about giving this one a spin (not that I'm over FC2, but I need a new fix for a little while). Some things I read in a review had me a little concerned though.  First of all, they said the single player campaign is SHORT, like just under 5 hours if you're good at FPS's (which all of us here are).  They also said multiplayer mode is where it's at, which doesn't help me cause I don't play online very much.  Another point was the Spec-ops mode, which is a collection of stand-alone single player missions with seperate stories.  Now this peaked my interest, because there is huge potential for DLC expandability here.  And they did say that the graphics are amazing as well, just like Fiach said.  So, all things considered, I'm a little torn about whether to spend what precious little gaming time and money I do get these days on it. Might be one to rent, as of now I'm leaning toward something with a little more replay value, maybe something like Borderlands.  Oh FC2, you ruined me for everyone else!!!  :'(   :-[   ;)

Fiach

Well I would not get it, going on your criteria mate, the game is sposed to be about 7 hrs for SP, the Spec Ops, well only part of that is for SP gamers.

MW is a MP game first and formost, like its predecessors, the length is short, but its a full on campaign with all the duff bits removed, no filler, just a rollercoaster ride with lots of set pieces. So its like reading a good book, with all the artsy stuff ripped out :)

If you still feel that its a waste, well you could just rent it, you would cane it very quickly, and would  not have to worry about finishing it in time to return it.

But on saying that, I would recommend Bordrlands for FC players, due to the size of the maps, while they are not as huge as FC2, they are extremely large, with no corridor shooting involved, plus you get a really cool mad max style buggy to ride around in and squish stuff with (or use the machine gun or rocket launcher if boredom sets in).

Also you have the 4 different classes with 3 distinct skill trees in each, which will add longevity, until the first Zombie DLC is released in a couple of weeks.

Maybe check out a few reviews and gameplay videos, the magazines here are giving BL 8 and 9 out of 10 as scores, its a fun game, but too long for a rental I think, I have a Siren and a Hunter, each about halfway through, with nearly 30 hours each logged in the game, thats even before you do the New Game+ after completion.

mmosu

Thanks for the input, I think that's the way I'm gonna go.  Now I just need to come up with some dough . . .  ;)

Art Blade

you could still offer to chisle off all your bank manager's front teeth if he doesn't give you the money immediately  ;D

mmosu

I don't have a bank manager, I have a wife  ;D

Art Blade

I hope you won't have to use Mr Chisel on her, though  ;D

PZ

fragger

FINALLY got it installed and played a few mishes, here are my initial impressions. Must point out that I've only played 3 missions thus far:

I'll try to avoid spoilers!

Gameplay: After being forced to sit through several minutes of opening credits which I didn't seem to be able to skip over, the game proper started. I've only played with it once so far, hopefully I won't have to sit through the credits every time, I'll see. Pretty much a continuation of MW1, and in the same vein. There's the usual training mission with a time trial similar to the one in MW1, from then on each mission is preceded by a verbal rundown with the zooming worldmap view familiar to MW vets. You're not the same character you were in the first game (that is, the one that survived - "Soap" Mactavish), but it looks like you fight alongside him in some missions. It appears that Captain Price didn't make it... Pity, I liked him. All conventions appear to be the same - ironsighting, grenade landing indicator plus ability to throw them back, carry two weapons but swap them for any discarded ones, carry frag and flashbang grenades, etc. Still very linear as all CoD games are. There's a cool mission early in the peace where you have to climb a snowy cliff somewhere in Russia using a pair of ice picks in a hand-over-hand fashion and you get to drive a snowmobile to make your getaway at the tail end of the mission, quite exciting. As in all previous CoD games back to #2, if you get hit, just stay under cover for a moment, avoid taking any more hits and you'll get better. If only it were that easy in reality...

Story: Once again, similar approach as MW1 with an unfolding tale that takes you to a few different world locations. There may be a greater variety of locations this time around, as so far I've been in Afghanistan and Russia and am currently in Rio de Janeiro. Already encountered one major story twist, there'll no doubt be more. But so far, the storyline looks involving.

Graphics: Great, but not an enormous improvement over preceding CoDs, I didn't think. Remember, I've only played a little, so there could be some surprises (remember the nuclear explosion in MW1?). Weapons look cool and have the same degree of attention to detail and behaviour as in MW1. Character animation is very well executed. The weather effects in the aforementioned mission were superb, in the middle of a Russian snowstorm with reduced visibility and swirling snow, almost made me shiver!
One thing did seem a bit odd, is when you take hits, you see a bunch of reddish dots in your vision that I take to be drops of blood. Why you'd see drops of blood in your eyeballs I don't know, I much preferred the "bloodshot eyeball" effect of the earlier games. This new effect looks peculiar. Imagine holding a sheet of glass up in front of yourself and having someone spray a mouthful of raspberry cordial all over it and you'd have a good idea of what it looks like.

Replay value: Very early days, but at this stage I'd say about the same as in the last MW, in that after a few plays you'll know where all the bad guys are going to be and what to expect. It's certainly not "open world", but these games never have been.

One interesting twist: When starting a new game, you're informed that there is a controversial mission somewhere in the game which may be disturbing or offensive, and you are given the option of skipping it in advance, ie. when you get to it, it just won't appear. I won't do a spoiler, but I elected to play it. How could I do otherwise? It's like when they say on the news "the following scenes may disturb some viewers". This is guaranteed to make everyone watch.
So when it came up, I personally wasn't disturbed or offended, but some people actually may be (but probably not the jaded gaming veterans here ;D). It's pretty nasty and I actually thought a bit sick. If you really want to know what happens, let me know and I'll PM it to you.

That's it so far, I'll play some more and see if there's anything world-shattering. At this stage, I feel it's par for the CoD course with improved graphics.

Note to JRD: As I wrote earlier, the mission I'm currently on takes place in Rio and I'm having a hell of a time fighting my way through the Favela, it's a tough mish. But Corcovado Mountain looks terrific, complete with its Christ the Redeemer. Just thought you may be interested in that, I'll try and get a screenshot for you, if I can do it without getting killed. :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳