Custom Mission: Hide&seek

Started by gvse, July 09, 2009, 08:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gvse

Hide&seek

Shortly before extraction from enemy territory a three-man spec-ops team has received another assignment. A rogue Russian general is delivering weapons to a local warlord stationed near Prigorodki. Both men are high on our most-wanted list and their elimination is our priority. Your team must wait for the general to arrive, then assassinate him and the warlord, blow up the weapons truck and proceed to the nearby marina, steal a boat and get to the safety zone.
Intel informs that there are enemy choppers stationed nearby and at the ready so proceed with caution at all times.

This mission is doable on recruit but near impossible on regular. Then again, perhaps I just suck at playing my missions. An ammo crate is at the insertion so you can reequip if you wish. Tasks show up on your map so use them to navigate to objectives.
Enjoy!
Download: http://openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile;id=58

Art Blade

cool :) going to the downloads :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Cool that you are doing the missions and making them available for download.  You've given me incentive to open up ARMA2 again when I am back at home!   :-X

PZ

Just finished installing ARMA2 and downloaded your mission, gvse.  I must say that I prefer your mission over those that come pre-packaged with the game.  I don't know exactly why, but probably because the action starts right away.  Good job  :-X

gvse

Nice to hear that. Indeed, I do prefer it when the action starts straight away, even if it means just doing recon or sneaking somewhere.
I have been working now on one with HALO insertion (high altitude jump) so it should have a cool start. Not sure if you have noticed but stealth missions aren't really full stealth as the enemy knows where you are right after perfoming that first silent kill. Apparently BI are working towards rectifying that. One way or another, my missions will still feature Spec Ops team wreaking havok behind enemy lines.

PZ

Sounds great - I noticed that once you killed the first opponent, the others were alerted to your presence.  By the way, I've been looking at the editor - can't see a way to specify the load out that you start with - is that something that needs to be scripted?

gvse

the easy way is to put ammo creates (Empty/Ammo/us or ru weapons. Another way is to write code that Art has posted in Custom Mission: Lumber Yard thread (page 2 or 3) in your soldier's init field in the editor. You will have to find out what's the classname of the weapon you want to use along with clips for it, but all this info can be found here: http://www.armatechsquad.com/ArmA2Class/

PZ

Thanks for the info - I was playing with a VSS Vintorez, which looks like a Dragunov with a silencer on it (the view through the scope is similar too) - would love to create a shoot-em-up mission using that bad boy - the shots are so silent you can barely hear them on your sound system.

Along the same thought, it is really cool to use that "silent Dragunov" in ARMA2 - was shooting at enemies far away (almost too small to see with the naked eye) and I had to take the distance into account - talk about immersion  :-X

gvse

Hmm, like sniper rifles with suppressors? Take a look at this then: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6305 :)

PZ

WOW! that one looks like the AS50 on steroids, complete with a silencer!  Downloading that on as I write.

Man, ARMA2 is becoming better in my mind every day - I didn't realize until yesterday that people were creating mods that you could download, and this one is over the top for me - thanks for the link!  :-X

I stepped back a link from the one you provided and am posting this for future use:  Armaholic downloads

JRD

That's the thing... custom missions, MP, mods of all kinds... an endless game...
As I said to spaceboy in another post, OFP2 will be available for all platforms, so the interaction with OWG members should be even bigger... imagine the potential in that  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

This game is going to be cool, JRD, I can feel it in my bones - especially now that I've worked out my graphics issues and the game runs as smooth as silk.  :-X

PZ

Just installed the Cheytac sniper mod that gvse suggested, and that thing is a monster - the recoil on that is tremendous, the barrel ends up pointing at the sky after you fire a shot!  However, you can hit targets so far away that you can barely see them, and all without making hardly a sound.  I really like the realism of the weapons in the simulation.

JRD

We have a farcry2.cz link at the top menu... can we have an armaholic link too?
You think we should get in touch with them first?

PZ

That's a great idea - the armaholics site is one I plan to visit on a regular basis.

JRD

We also may have some good info exchange or even harvest a few quality members to contribute with custom missions / mods etc...  ;)

gvse

I visit it daily and sometimes even more often than that. They are very quick with updates of things people create for A2.
By the way, as far as i know some people are already working on new islands/theaters of war for A2, including something that resembles Afghanistan (Avghani is an existing island for A1). Told ya this game is a long-term investment; just have a look at weapons, units, islands and complete mods created for A1, it's staggering! This is turning into my favorite game and OFP2 is up against stiff competition. It'd better have better ironsight for MP5SD ;)

PZ

Almost finished the mission and ARMA2 crashed  :'(  I had just killed the guys on the beach and jumped into the the boat with the mounted gun - started the engine and... "ARMA2 has stopped working.  Windows is checking for a possible solution..."

On a positive note I really liked the mission and here are a few impressions:

• I used the debug editor to give myself the Cheytac  ;D - the interesting part is that I can easily see (and kill) the opposition near the buildings from the insertion point - the best part - they didn't know where I was!  Or, if they did, they did not come to my spot until at least 3-4 were dead.
  • A Russian helicopter landed with the cockpit facing me - two whispers of the Cheytac and the pilots were dead.  The copter brought in enemy spec ops guys, and they were aggressive - just like you'd expect them to be.
  • I made my way down after I had sniped everyone I could from afar and the General and warlord both fell prey to the big rifle. 
  • I loved the touch of the GL mounted assault truck - don't know if you did that intentionally, but it was huge fun to get into that AT and lob grenades.  By the way, I had sniped the driver of this truck from the insertion point - the realism was cool - you can see the red of the lit tail lights at night.  This GL AT is much better than the one in FC2  ;)
  • After using the GL AT on the munitions truck, I placed a satchel charge on the helicopter, which by this time was slowly beginning to rotate (cool effect to see the dead pilots slumped in their seats while the copter destabilized.
  • Used the big sniper to detonate a couple of propane tanks - couldn't resist - and while fire is not as beautiful as in FC2, it did a wonderful job of lighting the surrounding area - much like a campfire highlights your camp - was very nicely done.
I'm looking forward to more of your missions gvse, and I really like the spec ops theme.  There is one thing that comes up when I load the mission - the program tells me that I have a missing static object, and that I should open the mission in the editor to rectify the problem.  This occurs in this mission and the lumber yard.  Don't know if it is an issue or not, because the game plays well, until the failure at the end.  In any case, very well done, gvse!  :-X :-X :-X

Art Blade

have you got the latest A2 update? last time it happened was a version difference (one patched higher than the other)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

As far as I know - v1.2?  (Don't remember exactly) - Downloaded it from the official site, tried to install, and it informed me that I already was at the version of that particular patch.  I should probably see if there is another patch - by the way, do you know how to check which version of the program I'm running?

gvse

Hey PZ,
It sure is nice to read such a detailed account of the walk through  the mission. To be honest I did not intend it to be played with the sniper as I like close quarter engagemnents, but hell, as long as you enjoyed it that's all that matters.
Yes I also used that gl truck to wreak havok and that mounted weapon is a beast!
Now, as long as you eliminated the enemy by the marina, got rid of the guys who come to the rescue of opfor in a motorboat then it's practically the end of the mission. There should be a heli coming to the marina as well  but sometimes the trigger fails or the chopper goes off course, I don't know.
The static object error is due to different game versions. The latest patch is 1.21sth (not just 1.2), but if it doesn't prevent you from playing the scenario then it's not a big deal I guess.
My game crashed once recently after I updated to latest nvidia drivers but it was a one-off and all is good now. Maybe the PC overheated a bit?
Glad you liked the mission and you're very welcome to proceed to Kameny in Utes where you will have seveal tasks on hand. ;)

PZ

Yes, I immensely enjoyed the long range sniping as well as the non-stop action once you reach the town. 

I'll check the official site for that latest patch to ensure that I have the most recent update.

Thanks again for a great mission, and am looking forward to playing some of the others.  :-X

PZ

Cool... I just finished playing the mission again and the experience was completely different this time.  I guess the really nice thing about ARMA2 is that the missions will never be exactly the same when you  play through again.

This time, I did not snipe the helicopter pilots; in fact, i did not see them at all.  The GL AT was in a completely different location when I attacked it as were all of the other enemy AI.

Even though the scenario is the same if you play the mission over, how you accomplish the mission may (probably) be completely different with each play through.  Great game, and excellent mission  :-X

PZ

Just for kicks, I tried using the Lost Key mod to allow me to try various weapons, in this case, the GAU-12 which is a 25 mm Gatling gun.  It is great fun trying new things in the simulation  :-X
Note: near the end of the video is a funny part where the Gatling gun sends an enemy soldier at least 20-30 feet up in the air.
[smg id=1123 type=av]
Because the video is recorded in wide screen format (16:9) it is often better looking to go to the original video - once the video starts playing, click the video to go to YouTube and then click the HD button to see it in full resolution.

JRD

The guy sent sky high is great... nice ending PZ  ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳