Custom Mission: Lumber Yard

Started by gvse, June 25, 2009, 05:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gvse

A revision uploaded and awaiting approval!
I added different markers (orange ones indicate where you must go to trigger the heli, but the waypoint should direct you there once it registers completion of previous objectives).
Medic should be playable and the heli pilot is not.
Glad you've had fun! :)

Art Blade

Very much so  :-X I'll play your updated version once it's approved in the downloads. Looking forward to it. I was thinking, would you mind terribly to upload the editor file? It's somewhere in "my documents" or so, there are two different Arma2 entries. You'll soon find them, they're those mission.sqm, the folder being the mission name. I'd really like to learn from looking at it in my editor :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

gvse

Got something better for you: the tool to unpack pbo files (Arma unpbo tool)
http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=arma_tools
Just extract those pbos to your documents/missions directory and you are all set for editing any and all missions! :)

Art Blade

lol, ok :)

By the way, I managed to find the next waypoint where someone was supposed to exit and after that to board I think the heli. For some reason I had noticed it came closer. Well, dramatically, the heli shot a couple of enemies and a truck, and then got blown to peaces by an enemy rocket launcher idiot. No getaway, I'm afraid :(

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Alright, I got that prog, and of course I had to peek into your mission.

omg  ;D

That is slightly more than I had expected. What a piece of w@&k :) Nice one!  :-X Helps me a lot understanding some of the details I'm not familar with yet.

oh, having seen it, I am even more amazed at how I could possibly have survived that mission so far LOL

PZ

Quote from: gvse on June 29, 2009, 05:43:40 AM
A revision uploaded and awaiting approval!
I added different markers (orange ones indicate where you must go to trigger the heli, but the waypoint should direct you there once it registers completion of previous objectives).
Medic should be playable and the heli pilot is not.
Glad you've had fun! :)
Done!  [I can't wait to get this simulation...]

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on June 29, 2009, 09:14:36 AMDone!

Ah, great :)

Quote from: PZ on June 29, 2009, 09:14:36 AM[I can't wait to get this simulation...]

It's boring... not worth it... not really funny... overrated...  ;)  ;D

gvse

I read your comment that the enemy downed the heli before you could reach it, and I remembered that I  added those guys after I completed the mission as I thought it slowed down too much towards the end. Turns out I have overdone it, but if memory serves me right the rpg guy is no longer present in the revised mission so hopefully you can make it to the chopper. If he's there just delete him in the editor.
And thank you for your kind words Art; always good to see some appreciation! :)
You should have a look at the OFP missions which have been converted to A2. they are great to play and you can learn some stuff too as you examine the design in the editor.
I hope you guys are gonna submit some missions soon too. I want to do a couple more stealth assignments, i.e. infiltrate some place, steal documents, assassinate the enemy, use the marker for artillery etc. So many options... :)

Art Blade

I don't want some OFP missions, I wan't OWG missions such as yours :)

I'm playing around with the editor myself, and my dream scenario is "infiltrate the enemy barracks and use their washing room" - don't know how I could accomplish that, but hell, main thing is fun, eh  ;D

Art Blade

argh, one thing... hope you don't mind me asking here, but... how on earth can I get a person to actually be in the boat, like your rubber boat? I've seen you used "in cargo" or somewhat like that, but when I do it, my peeps fall off of the boat, a thousand times. and if I turn your boat around, again... I hate it. How? :)

gvse

I zoomed in on the map and made sure the avatars were inside the boat. Also had to check the "In cargo" box as you have noticed. Maybe you're trying to squeeze in too many ppl?
I remember that once in game and you try to switch to the boat driver your team disembarks for some unfathomable reason. Set one of the passengers as "Player," not the boatman and perhaps that will do the trick?

Art Blade

Maybe... although I think I tried quite a bit already, and what I don't know is: Do you need the boat to be a single unit (as in ammo crate) or a troup (as in heli squad)? Forgive my choice of terms, I still have only the German version and have no idea what the English terms in the editor are. What I mean is you get either unmanned or manned vehicles. If I use unmanned vehicles, I can't have the editor make my peeps or player be inside a chopper (or a boat, right now) and if I use a manned vehicle, it has a bloody crew in it that I can't get rid of (you only see the vehicle, not the crew) That's why I either have to climb into an empty vehicle or shoot the pilot to have him offer me his seat  ;D

I tried this "superfast" RHIB or so boat of the USMC, it didn't let me put my player in together with a crew... and your boat, what was it? manned?

gvse

Just had a look and everything works ok on my end. Here's what I do.
1. create a unit: usmc/ship/any boat, set it "in cargo" and "playable."
2. create a unit nearby (so they are connected with a line): men (any type), set him as "in cargo," "player," higher rank than the boat, and position him exactly over the boat.
3. preview and you should see your dude in the boat, already seated.

Art Blade

thank you so much, I'm pretty sure the rank could be the reason (who would have thought that a boat could have a rank).

I have something in return for you - how to manipulate the loadout of your team members:

removeallweapons this; this addmagazine "30Rnd_9x19_MP5"; this addweapon "MP5A5";

insert that into the ini field of the avatar and your team mate or you'll spawn with the MP5 :) Only I haven't found out how to give more than one clip, grrrrr  ;D

by the way, it's important to first give ammo and then the weapon.

edit: simple... maybe not elegant, but works:

removeallweapons this; this addmagazine "30Rnd_9x19_MP5SD"; this addmagazine "30Rnd_9x19_MP5SD"; this addmagazine "30Rnd_9x19_MP5SD"; this addmagazine "30Rnd_9x19_MP5SD"; this addmagazine "30Rnd_9x19_MP5SD"; this addmagazine "30Rnd_9x19_MP5SD"; this addweapon "MP5SD";

Here you get your MP5SD6 and 6 mags. leaves you with 6 more to fill :)

and if you want to learn about mission briefings, maybe this here is interesting for you:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?s=db48624e1cd58bb05d825cdb6aad3567&t=73424

a little too much for me right now. Well, but I checked that script that fills an ammo crate with all weapons and ammo... lol, heavy  ;D

Art Blade

still having troubles with those boats. I don't know...

but more success with creating a complete loadout. Doesn't look pretty but works, insert in ini field of a unit. This time I didn't post it as code so you can see it better.

Quotethis allowdamage false; removeallweapons this; this addmagazine "PipeBomb"; this addmagazine "30Rnd_9x19_MP5SD"; this addmagazine "30Rnd_9x19_MP5SD"; this addmagazine "30Rnd_9x19_MP5SD"; this addmagazine "30Rnd_9x19_MP5SD"; this addmagazine "30Rnd_9x19_MP5SD"; this addmagazine "30Rnd_9x19_MP5SD"; this addweapon "MP5SD"; this addmagazine "8Rnd_9x18_MakarovSD"; this addmagazine "8Rnd_9x18_MakarovSD"; this addmagazine "8Rnd_9x18_MakarovSD"; this addweapon "MakarovSD"; this addweapon "NVGoggles"; this addweapon "Binocular"; this addmagazine "HandGrenade_West"; this addmagazine "HandGrenade_West";

this allowdamage false = more or less a god mode, good for debugging a mission...  ;)
this addmagazine "PipeBomb" the satchel with explosives which can be timed or remote-detonated. (TimeBomb doesn't w@&k, you can't see it in the inventory but place it, yet unable to detonate it. Maybe not implemented in the game)
this addweapon "MP5SD" Silenced MP5SD6
this addweapon "MakarovSD" ahhh 6P9
this addweapon "NVGoggles" Night Vision
this addweapon "Binocular" a cup of green tea.
this addmagazine "HandGrenade_West" it's M-67 hand grenades

I've done some scripts to make a loadout, but still working with them, so this here is easy for a quick go.

PZ

Wow, sounds like you need a programmers manual to script the missions!  ;)

Art Blade

Haha, not really necessary. :)

The editor lets you place one of hundreds of preset units with preset weapons and ammo, and you can use the editor to place a special weapons crate next to it. Now you'll have to do the rest in-game yourself, if you want to change your "given" loadout.

Scripting or what I've done above comes into the equation if the editor fails to do what you want, in this case spawning with a desired loadout, so you won't have to worry about equipping yourself or team mates with special stuff from a crate. :)

edit: killed a ba$t@rd of a typo ;)

gvse

Great stuff, Art, thank you. Works too! :)
I haven't had much time to play today but tomorrow should be a bit different. yay ;)

Art Blade

haha, you won't believe how much time I've spent checking those scripter/modder forums to get what I need... Still, not everything was there so I needed to experiment (which I like) :)

I need that bloody GPS, can't seem to find how to put that into a loadout, (same as the rest of the stuff you've got in those slots where the map, compass etc is - damn code haha)

Art Blade

Alas, I've still to play your revised mission. I couldn't, because I was stuck in my own first mission... I'm trying to do some funny stuff in it  ;)

The boat.. turns out it's best to meet with the team at the shore and board it, rather than fighting with a sudden death by too much water in your lungs, run over by your own boat, and too many items lost while swimming (careful, everybody, you do lose items -- I once got out of the water stripped of every weapon LOL)

gvse

Take your time, man; and I look forward to your mission. :)
I'll explore the gameworld a bit to find a location that will inspire my next assignment (the old, ruined castle looks promising).

gvse

ok fellas, I have finally updated my first mission so go ahead and grab it as it's (hopefully) bug-free.
Here's what has been changed:
1. Waypoints should trigger as they are supposed to.
2. Objectives now function as triggers.
3. If you switch to your map you will finally find there your tasks so at no point should you be at a loss as to what to do.
I do hope all works fine this time!

JRD

Ok... I'm downloading Arma2 demo part 13/14 as I type... as soon as it's finished, i'll be happy to test your missions gvse.
The ability to create your own missions gives Arma2 (and OFP2) an endless potential for replay.
I'm sure the community will benefit from all missions created by OWG  :-X
Excellent initiative gvse... looking forward to test it
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

gvse

I didn't know you could run user-created missions in the demo! That would be a good deal, though I think they have imposed limitations on weapons, vehicles, etc.
Anyways, yeah have fun! :)

JRD

hahahaha... i thought you could...  :P

If not, I'll have to see how it goes, get the full version and THEN try your mission...  ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Tags:
🡱 🡳