Specs, Vid settings, tech issues

Started by Art Blade, June 25, 2009, 02:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Here you can discuss the tech aspects of ArmA2.

The game does NOT require any online registrations. Just type in the code from the manual, done. Excellent!  :-X

QuoteMinimal PC Requirements

* CPU: Dual Core Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz / Intel Core 2.0 GHz / AMD Athlon 3200+ or faster
    * RAM: 1 GB
    * Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 / ATI Radeon 1800 with Shader Model 3 and 256 MB VRAM or faster

Optimal PC Requirements

* CPU: Intel Core 2.8 GHz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or faster
    * RAM: 2 GB
    * Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT / ATI Radeon 4850 with Shader Model 3 and 512 MB VRAM or faster

original link for that quote: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2

For instance, my PC is an i7/920@2.67GHz (=quad core + 4virtual cores), GTX260, 3gigs RAM, using a 26'' monitor.

I use an "older" vid driver, nvidia 181.22, because it keeps FC2 running smoothly (newer drivers made that game stutter)

I run ArmA2 at 1920x1200 res, everything maxed out (except fill rate 100%, anisotrophic filter "normal") visual distance max 10.000

The game usually runs quite smoothly except when in areas with loads of buildings and generally huge data. Then it starts to stutter a little - but tolerable. I think a GTX285 would be just perfect.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

By the way, I use mouse, keyboard, and lately purchased a Thrustmaster "T.Fl!ght Hotas X" (hands on throttle and stick) with I think 10 buttons. The Joystick also has a switch for use with a PS3.

I can only recommend playing ArmA2 with a joystick... keyboard and mouse alone will not satisfy you when it comes to helis or planes... ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Sounds like something I need to invest in - don't have anything that will w@&k as a joystick.  Plus, if it works with the PS3, that is a bonus!   :-X

Art Blade

it cost me like 35 € (regular shop), so maybe around 50$. But I guess you'll get it online or elsehwere cheaper than that.

Indeed, it has a note on the package stating PC&PS3, and I found a switch on the back of the stick for just that.

Cool feature is, you can separate the throttle lever from the joystick and spread them across your desk.

Art Blade

Only now I realise that Logitech's G15 programmable gaming keyboard might be a perfect match for a game like ArmA2.

You can make a setup, and save it, for different games on your PC. The keyboard has 3x2 keys ("G-keys") in a colum left of the regular keys, and in the top left corner 3 keys for different key programmings of your making, a shortcut to assign those 3x2=6 keys x 3 selfmade presets =18 different presets.

This will be especially useful when it comes to giving orders. Typically orders are given like this:

- hit F1-10 for your crew members (11+12 = "scroll" back/forth if more than 10 members)
- hit keys 1-0 for a command menu (ie combat style, formations and more)
- select 1-0 for commands or even yet another sub-menu
- select final command
- sometimes hit action key or enter for approvement.

That can be recorded or edited, so all the above mentioned could be just one programmed key :)

I'd leave the F1-10 out so you can select different members, but then... hit the "G1-6" key, and depending on your mission, hit one of the three memory keys to change the "loadout" of the G-keys

I'll do that soon, because in the heat of a fight... man, you're glad for every help you can get ;)

PZ

Yes, I purchased the G15 based on recommendation from you guys and have not been sorry.  The keyboard does almost everything except play the game for you, and the feel of the keys as you press them is great - much better than the MS keyboards I use on other PCs.  I still haven't needed to program the G keys though - FC2 is very simple, but it sounds like I'll need to do some programming to get ARMA2 up to speed.

On a related note, have you ever been able to program a mouse button to do PrtScr?  I've the Logitech G9 laser and created a both a macro and a standard key press to no avail.  Nothing happens.

Art Blade

No. I use a MX 518 Logitech here. The PrtScr key is not among those it accepts.

PZ

That's too bad - I thought I read about an FC2 console command (or some kind of command) somewhere for screen capture - I wonder if I can program a macro for the mouse for that function...

Art Blade

Maybe there is a way (but I am sceptical since those three buttons PRNTSCR and the two next to it are in a way special, system keys if you like)

If you have a program that allows to configure your mouse, meaning program buttons - like the one we have for the G15. I checked the keyboard - hit the blue MR button to record, hit prntscrn, hit MR, done programming, and now G6 does w@&k as prntscrn.

Art Blade

Some info to add:

I find the drawn distance is what can eat up some resources, so I sometimes switch it back to say 5,000. Currently I'm playing a bit with that view distance, in general it means just the fog on the horizon gets closer if you lower that value.  I noticed after patching it seemed to have reset that parameter without me knowing, but well, can't be sure.

We have a vid here from youtube with 1,700 AI units in a battle, from a guy called Richie Speed who overclocked both CPU and GPU and he wrote:

QuoteOverclocking the graphics card wasn't really an issue, i had no fps gain or loss between low and high settings, so its very obvious this game is way way way more cpu intense than it is gpu.

So much for people wondering if CPU or GPU is next on the list for upgrades. I think both  ;D

Art Blade

gvse posted something like he had heard that "post processing" eats resources, and reported that switching it off made it look crisper yet not as appealing, more or less what he said. I switched it off, too, wanted to see how it looks.

Now things don't look so blurry any more, really they are much crisper now (I notice that especially in trees and buildings). Maybe this is a funny coincidence, you get a better view and lesser resource draining :) I'm looking forward to checking if I can spot enemies better now :)

just an example, the pic here uses 5,000 visual range and no post processing, AF low, AA disabled, the rest is maximum @ 1920x1200 res (I had to resize to 1024 and used 85% jpg quality though, the forum gallery doesn't support mega hires files)

Art Blade

here is a better example, same settings:

click here for gallery view to be able to enlarge it even more ;)

[smg id=921 align=center width=400]

PZ

Wow, great pic - I believe that you are using an i7, correct?  Same here, with a Nvidia 295 - will be interesting to see how things go for me.

Art Blade

yes, we have identical CPUs (2.67GHz) :)

Art Blade

just edited the first post adding the game specs info.

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on June 25, 2009, 02:01:01 AM

QuoteMinimal PC Requirements

* CPU: Dual Core Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz / Intel Core 2.0 GHz / AMD Athlon 3200+ or faster
    * RAM: 1 GB
    * Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 / ATI Radeon 1800 with Shader Model 3 and 256 MB VRAM or faster

Optimal PC Requirements

* CPU: Intel Core 2.8 GHz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ or faster
    * RAM: 2 GB
    * Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT / ATI Radeon 4850 with Shader Model 3 and 512 MB VRAM or faster

Thanks a lot mate... if ArmA2 has those requirements, I assume OFP2 will be quite the same. I should run OFP2 smooth with my specs:
- Intel Dual Core - can't remember working frequency, but must be 2,2 GHz
- 2 GB RAM DDR3
- nVidia GeForce 9800 GTX 1 GB
- Windows XP SP3

Can you believe Codemasters have no word about system specs or demo release? Let alone the definitive release date for OFP2  >:(
The only reason I'm not getting A2 now is FUEL and OFP2 (I have to get this one), but CM is about to loose my gravel due to all those delays  ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

haha :) It's a shame how the game industry works, in general. Competing with one another is normal, but if the first releases his game and it's not more than a carcass "you see, this is going to be your car you already paid for, a little imagination... and we'll sure find a way how to stick wheels and engine etc on it" and the competitor waits until the perpetuum mobile is invented before he releases... man...

Have some fun with us, and get A2. I'm going to get FUEL myself, as well as OFP:DR and maybe even Warhound. We'll see which is best for you or me or the lot hanging around here waiting :)

Art Blade

Having played my first FUEL PC race, I needed to edit the first post here in this topic.

ArmA2 just needs the code from the manual, done. EXCELLENT

Fuel, however, denies any save/gameprogress unless you register with MS "Live!" DAMNATION

FC2 won't even install if you're offline -BAD- but does an auto-registration of the game -TOLERABLE- and if I remember correctly I had to register with ubi... some time now. That of course is DAMNATION... I hate it if you buy a game in a shop and can't use it unless you register with dozens of services. MAN that really makes me angry. ArmA2 however was lovely  :)

PZ

I tend to agree - what if you don't have Internet - not unusual in my neck of the woods.

JRD

Quote from: PZ on July 02, 2009, 09:39:26 AM
I tend to agree - what if you don't have Internet - not unusual in my neck of the woods.
Then I believe you have to "activate" the game using a code provided by telephone... and if you don't have a telephone, then you are in the wrong century  ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

JRD, when I purchased FC2, I thought the same. Until after a couple of calls I had been convinced that there was no other way. And yes, PZ, my point. I understand the piracy problem the industry is presented with, but hell, this way is not the best one to cope with that. I purchased a game "Pirates North&South" I believe is the title (been a couple of months now lol) and that game didn't even ask for a code. Just install it, done. Nice one. And ArmA2, a code is very much acceptable, and done. Nice, especially since it is a mega piece of software, the US army has training programs that use the same base of code... LOL imagine you were a soldier being asked to register your copy first and register on a forum before being allowed to attend simulator training  ;D

RedRaven

QuoteFuel, however, denies any save/gameprogress unless you register with MS "Live!" DAMNATION
>:(

well that just sucks :( looks like wont be getting it after all.
not 100% sure (memory damaged) but almost positive got FC2 working without net, my game system is not hooked up to net. may well be wrong tho :)
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

Tell you what. I was offline for like 1.5 years. Seriously. But all the while I was reading news on game magazines about FC2. When the game finally was out I ran to my vendor and happily purchased a copy. I even asked them if it needed online registrations or the likes, they said they didn't know but couldn't see hints on the package. So, happy at home, glorious moments when the disk got sucked into the machine, ready for installation... it just stopped. A window on my screen told me that I needed to be online when installation started.

I couldn't believe it. I checked that package again, with a magnifying glass I was able to decipher a .001 font size text informing about the necessity of an internet connection. I never saw a text so small on a box, virtually hiding that important fact. I called support and they repeatedly told me there was no w@&k-around. Took me another couple of weeks until I finally had everything sorted out, went online and bingo. If I hadn't been a FC1 fan already and FC2 hadn't had so great previews and reviews, I still wouldn't have gone online. Well, here I am.

RedRaven

think i used offline activation method use ing my laptop on net, took me a day or two to get it working right tho, i do remember spending most of a weekend downloading all updates for my tower to laptop then burning discs to be able to use them, didnt buy FC2 till start of april, after playing for a week found OWG and here we are :-X
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Tags:
🡱 🡳