Tips and Questions

Started by Art Blade, June 25, 2009, 01:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Here you can post your tips and questions.

Don't be afraid of asking even "silly" questions: No one of OWG will tolerate or give "stupid" answers - we are here to make it a great experience for you and you'll get any help you need.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

RedRaven

ok, silly question, exactly how do the custom missions w@&k / get installed ?
did fair bit of weapon / armour mods in Stalker but missions seems pretty different or am i just being Dunce-boy again?
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

Not at all, me and others had the same question. Luckily gvse left a description with his files in the download section.

QuoteInstallation: put the pbo file in your program files/arma2/missions folder and select Yard.Chernarus in scenarios once in game

That means, select the mission you downloaded, the description is from yard.chernarus file/mission in that case
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

RedRaven

nice, pulled em down but not checked em yet, got couple ideas reckon i could do too.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

PZ

If you download mods like new weapons, vehicles, units, etc., the armaholic group recommends that you check this FAQ on how to keep things organized.

There are also convenient ARMA2 launchers in which you can specify which mods you want to run thereby decreasing RAM overhead.

PZ

The top menu for ARMA2 has been changed (the gray menu with the orange font) at the very top of the page.  You can now click to see the main Chernarus map or any of the four quadrants.  There is also a handy link to the armaholic download page.  If you don't see a small yellow down arrow (triangle) next to ARMA2 in the menu bar, then you need to reload the menu.  To do so, right click the gray part of the menu to the right of the Print menu item and choose reload/refresh from the submenu and everything will reload.

armaholic.com has also been added to the Other sites menu.

Art Blade

Thank you for the update and all the w@&k, PZ  :-X :)

PZ

Truly a labor of love   ;) :-X

PZ

TIP: Using the editor

If you haven't explored the editor yet, you're missing out on some great fun.  I'm still new to the game and have not been able to get far in any of the missions so I tried the editor last night.  It is so simple, with a few mouse clicks in about 2 minutes I had a "mission".  I set myself  up as a sniper and when I saw myself, I was dressed in a gilly suit, and my rifle was dressed the same.  Was great fun because I could set up as many Chedakis as I wanted (they still killed me though)

I finally tired of being killed so I changed myself (in the editor) to the gunner in an M1A1 - now that was truly a turkey shoot.

In summary, using the editor seems to be very easy and it will be fun to create these kinds of "off beat" missions for others to play with.

JRD

We might as well create our own campaign  ;)

The political background is very rich and we can explore it to create great missions, independent from each other but sharing the same storyline......
... or not, just place some Chedakis here and there and hunt them down  ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Not sure, but can we create multiplayer missions? Would be fun to place some motor bikes and do some racing cross country together ;D ;D

JRD

I guess someone has to host the mission and the other players join as co-op... not sure though as I'm not into the editor so far... too busy progressing into the SP campaign

Art Blade

somehow I had the idea of making a FUEL race in ArmA2 :)

JRD

Did you say a TANK DEMOLITION race?  8)

Art Blade

Then I know we can count dke58 in for it, and I think PZ is a tank top guy too... hehe, hell yeah :)

RedRaven

now that does sound fun !
have spent most of time playing with them in Armoury, just need to find some good Mods of UK tanks.

will let you all know of any worth getting :-X

PZ

I've not played with it yet, but yo can merge missions - might that be a way to create a campaign with several contributors?

JRD

You can merge missions? Wow... thats fantastic...

Maybe that's the way... actually, I cant get into the editor right now cos lenghty campaigns usually suck me in... and this one has a deep political background and tensions are escalating as the Red Square has been bombed and Russia is about to get into open fighting  8)

... wait, I hear shots fired in the distance... catch up with you later <zooms away>

Art Blade

:)

If only I could duplicate myself so I could do several things simultaneously. Or I'd have to become a woman, which I refuse to.

PZ

I think so, I'm going to play more with the editor this evening - I know that I can plan a mission in any town (or in the middle of nowhere) and then have that mission extend to other towns.  Placing vehicles will allow you to drive to the new towns where you can interact with the new units in whatever way you want.  This appears to be a very powerful editor that will allow you to do most anything.

You can think of it like this if you could translate the idea to an FC2 SP editor:  You place your character anywhere on the FC2 map, equip yourself with anything, and place mercs anywhere you want in as many number as you like.  You could equip the mercs with only a machete, or leave them weaponless.  You could give them vehicles to drive and if so, dictate exactly where you would like them to drive.  You can even describe how skillful you want the mercs to be.  You could then create your mission objectives and have at it.  Imagine how much fun we here at OWG would have with such a FC2 SP editor and it's a shame that Ubi didn't create one else I'd probably be playing FC2 for a long, long time.

The ARMA2 editor is going to be great...  :-X

Art Blade

FC2 is something that will die hard. In total I think I've spent like 200 hours with FC2... never getting boring  :)

RedRaven

just been looking around the editor and all seems well set out, intuitive even,
      gave me a better understanding of the in-game map too, cos kept seeing green circles, gold dots etc, would run up to them and nothing there (in armoury at least).
  Also meant could plant a tank company and drive across island with them, command system for troops is good too.

this editor makes it alot easier to say re-create a scene from a film so long as you got all mods needed for the parts.

And its way way better than Stalker stuff looked at last year.

Art Blade

Quote from: dke58 on July 27, 2009, 03:07:20 PMkept seeing green circles, gold dots etc, would run up to them and nothing there

I think you should consider changing your diet  ;D

PZ

Yeah, I've never played with an editor like this one - and it looks like the sky is the limit.  There is even a box in the settings dialog of all the game elements you place for you to write a script - have not done anything with that, but I'm sure it adds unlimited flexibility to your item.

PZ

ARMA2 Newbie Mission Editing FAQ

This is probably the best single document I've found so far on creating missions.  Covers everything from creating a briefing intro, to cut-scenes, and high command.

Link to the FAQ

I'm also keeping an article of the interesting tips and scriptlets that you'll need for just about any mission here

Tags:
🡱 🡳