Hang Glider Locations

Started by tehsam016, June 22, 2009, 03:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tehsam016

I really haven't came across many/in very memorable locations, but then again, i'm only on my 2nd play through. Could some of you point me the right direction toward some nice hang gliding locations? Thanks.

retiredgord

Welcome tehsam016.  If you take a peak at the FarCry2 bar up at top  and expand it, you'll find one of the members has put them all up there with positions of diamonds and gliders.  It's a very informative map and clickable to a larger version.  We hope this helps you.
  Also keep posting stories as they are of interest to us.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

tehsam016

Right well I guess i win noob of the year award than xD, nice map though, really handy. Bet it took some time to put together.

PZ

Hey, we're all noobs in one way or another, so keep the questions coming - everyone here is more than willing to point you in the correct direction.  As to the maps, yes, it took time, but mostly only for one of our members - you'll see him online from time to time - D_B (Dweller_Benthos) aka "The Mapper"

Art Blade

Quote from: tehsam016 on June 22, 2009, 03:54:21 PMsome nice hang gliding locations

My favourite spots are Goka Falls in the northern (Leboa) area and Rail Xing in the southern (Bowa) area. Both are way up in the mountain side and offer an opportunity to either glide or fall a long way down  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

retiredgord

Ahhh..the rush of air 'neath the glider wings, the report of a gunshot, the sudden spiralling down to the grounds, and hopefully landing in either water or a softer landing on a merc. Makes me want to head off to the glider in Weelegol and do a little run again.
  It's also good target practice for those boys down under you.

tehsam016

Haha i hear ya gord. I liked how they pretty much kept hang gliding the same from the first far cry, probably one of the more relaxing activities in the game. Thanks for the locations people, should get me up in the air in no-time  :-X

Art Blade

have fun :) and if you haven't seen those, there are some great videos and some pics in the gallery, related posts are in the screenshot board. Explore the site :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

RedRaven

Having completed the game several times, and spent many, many hours exploring the maps specially the North there is one thing thats bugging me.
Below is the North-East section of the North map. I have marked the bottom Hang Glider with a red circle. My question is this
Is it there ?

[smg id=1852]

I have only played it on PC and cannot find it at all. Is it there on PS3 or Xbox version ?

Cheers

Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

it is there on PC.

[smg id=1746 align=center width=400]

Picture taken from my journal entry "OCG Challenge" ;)

mandru

There's a few of the gliders that don't appear until after they would have been useful.

I guess they show up for later explorations after key missions have been completed.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

RedRaven

@Art - what stage of the game were you at then, if you can recall?I have been there early and very late in the first half of the game and its never been there.
@mandru - thats the only one i've gone to use and it not be there, it would be ideal to glide over the outpost when doing the Kill the King mission.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

mandru is right, and as you may have guessed, I was almost finished with the game. But instead of finishing it (at 73%) I returned to Leboa to explore and did use those gliders for just that :)

RedRaven

That could be it then, I've never gone back up into the North after the story takes me south.
Cheers guys :-X

retiredgord

If I recall rightly that glider is(facing away from the safe house on PS3) right and higher than the safe house level. I found it but the memory of the exact routes escapes me.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, that glider and the one on the other side of the map, forget exactly, but it's also near a safehouse, may or may not be there, depening on whatever.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

eor123

That glider has never been there on my XBox360 when doing the back and forth kill the king/give the kid the ring/go to the oasis trips.

Would have been handy. Sneaking past all those checkpoints gets tiresome, if you prefer not to fight your way through nor run through which sometimes works...but often results in a major charlie foxtrot.
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

mandru

On the mission to kill the king when I divert to meet the buddy and when delivering the ring back to the prince I usually drive to where the river along that eastern section of the map turns and goes West past the North side of the OGC (Occidental Growers Corporation) property with the green houses and connects with that corridor that runs North up to the safe house where my buddy is waiting.

After driving to the river bend I swim to the opposite bank and can walk quite a ways towards the green houses before I have to go back into the water. After swimming past the point where you decide to follow the river instead of going into OGC I switch back across the river to the left bank. There is a path that follows the river at a raised elevation. For me at least, as a self professed unrepentant sniper, the distance and raised perspective allows me to take out the single merc watching the swamp boat docked at the bottom of the path up to the safe house and once he's out of the way there's an AT to speed the climb up to the safe house and back down after briefing.

Once briefed I bring the AT almost all the way back down to the docked swamp boat stopping a bit short to once again bushwhack the merc guarding it and then jet out to the previously mentioned river bend where I originally left my AT.

Of course by this time my AT has gone away but there is a merc that almost always parks his Jeep there on the road at that river bend who starts walking towards the safe house to the South of that position. I never have been able to figure out that merc's obsession with that safe house but it's just something he does. I guess it's so that when you show up there by river you have a ready set of wheels, right? That's the only reason I can see.

Recently, once I've delivered the ring to the prince and he's given me his Jeep, out of sheer contempt for his gift I've started plowing down the hill in it as quickly as I can muster. I blow through the mercs at the bottom of the hill only swerving enough to pick off the odd pedestrian stupid enough to wander out to the road's edge. I make the right turn around the North end of the lake so I can get back onto the desert and away from any stray bullets.

It is possible that the patrolling Jeep or Datsun Dummy may follow me out onto the sand and I stop and deal with them and make repairs once I'm clear of any on foot pursuit before heading on to mark the gold for Dr Gakumba's men to come collect it.

After practicing it several times the blast through that gauntlet with the prince's Jeep leaves me pretty much unharmed and shaves quite a bit of time off the above mentioned much safer route along the river and has the added bonus of getting to run over a few mercs in the sprint to the desert. Which is always a bonus.  :-X

Edit Additional: I've often wondered if the prince's Jeep has a higher resistance to damage and gives better protection than some of the other vehicles. I usually get a lot more shot up if I'm driving something else. Aren't rich peoples vehicles more commonly armored?

I'll have to check it next time I go through that part of the game. It may turn out that I've had enough practice at that trick that I've just gotten good enough at getting through quickly to make the difference.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

eor123

How's this for patience...

I sneak through from one safe house to the other often without firing a shot.

I creep down the hill from the safe house then along the edge to the bus carcasses in front of the resistance safe house. I always stop and pet the zebras along the way.  ;D.

I wait till the guy driving the Jeep has gone up the hill, sprint across the road and creep along the edge until I can make the corner and sprint through the desert to the bus station. I am always surprised that the guys patrolling along the lake never see me. I pass very close to a couple of them and with very little cover at times.

I pick up a car there and take a short cut through the desert to the safe house near the fort, avoiding the sniper at the checkpoint. I occasionally hear a bullet whiz by. If my timing is bad, I sometimes have to tangle with the AT that patrols the road between the safe house and the checkpoint.

I developed this tactic to preserve the dart rifle for clearing out the fort. It degrades pretty fast and you only have a few shots. I don't want to waste them battling through checkpoints.
"Seriously...f@#k it. This place is like an airplane with the engines falling off. The pilots are too busy choking each other to see there is a problem. "  -- Marty Alencar

RedRaven

Quote from: eor123 on January 07, 2010, 01:29:13 PM
I always stop and pet the zebras along the way.  ;D .

I use the front end of a car to do that ;D

eor123

I actually feel bad when I run over the wildlife...kind of silly, given the context of all the  morally reprehensible things I'm doing.

RedRaven

I did at first until one charged at me, then it was "No Mercy" time :)

PZ

Several years ago I was traveling to southern California on a trailer trip - driving a pickup truck, towing a travel trailer.  As we were passing through the Nevada desert at dawn, a deer that was running full speed aimed for my vehicle and we had a collision, the outcome of which you can imagine. 

Unfortunately because of people feeding them and mild winters in our areas, the deer population has exploded (they breed like rats) and I rarely drive to w@&k without seeing a splat on the road.  However, in FC2, you can hit the animals running down the road without any of the consequential damage!  ;D

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, had a deer jump out in front of me once (well, a lot of times but only once so far where I couldn't stop in time) and whanged her good, so hard it squeezed the crap out of her and flung it along the side of my car. Did $2500 in damage to the car and the deer got up and ran away, to promptly try to duck under the guard rail and proceeded to smash her head against it. Twice in five minutes, that musta hurt!

As for the wildlife in FC2, if they stay out of my way, I leave it that way, usually, but sometimes, I just gun for them.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

I don't particularly hunt down zebras or buffalos, but they tend to ram me instead. Well... so they don't mind me running them over when they cross my path... Might take a swing at them if they are close enough, though :) But I like to hunt down goats near safehouses and underground locations (just to get rid of their noises) and I like hunting chickens because they're hard to hit with a pistol or a dart. Chickens are a sport in FC2  ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳