Help Me Find A New Game

Started by Ricamundo, June 17, 2009, 03:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricamundo

OK, i just finished my 5th playthru of our favourite game, but my other currently loaded fps games, FC1, Crysis, the 3 FEAR's, are getting kinda boring, so not wanting to get bored with FC2, i'm thinking of trying something new..

It must be a close to FC2 as possible. Absolutely must be a sandbox, and NO %^%^$#@!! mutants, aliens, monsters, freaks, or zombies! Not a team based game either. i'm not interested in leading a bunch of NPC's around by the hand. ;)So no Tom Clancy stuff.

It must be first person, and not an RPG. I want to use guns only, no magic spells, no swords, or bows and arrows.

The SP(i only play SP) must be a long and engrossing affair, kinda like FC2. 8)

I have already ruled out buying Crysis Warhead(more stupid aliens) and FEAR 2(same old same old).

COJ does look promising, althought he western theme is a bit iffy. Also im not sure how long the SP part will take to play. it has to be loooong! My usual playthru of FC2 is 60-80 hours BTW.

Fallout 3 looks interesting. Is it an FPS or 3rd person? An RPG or a shooter? Do any of you play it?

Suggestions anyone?
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Art Blade

Hey Ricamundo,

I hope you find what you're looking for, and please let us know what it is once you've got it :)

Before I tell you about FallOut3, let me suggest you read HitMan BloodMoney. Can't do much wrong, since it's from 2006 and should cost you only a smile  ;)

About FallOut3, well maybe you'd like to know you already posted in that topic yourself ;) Not much to add, and who plays it - see respective topic  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

gvse

Not a single game I know meets all your criteria so I reckon you will have to compromise. Anyhoo, I would consider these:
1. Stalker CS or SC: open world, atmospheric, plenty of gunplay. Mostly you get to fight people but you will encounter mutants and zombies too.
2. Arma2: open world, realistic gunplay (it's a so-called "military simulator"), but you have to manage your squadmates (check out operation flashpoint2 forum where i've posted my impressions of this game).
3. Fallout3: open world but it's post apocalyptic so plenty of mutants and monsters and what-not (not my cup of tea).
4. CoJ2: I will be getting this one too. CoJ1 is out and dirt cheap now, I don't know what it's like though.
That's it. I am curious what others will advise :)

Art Blade

I was thinking that too, to my knowledge the game doesn't exist yet that meets all criteria. Some games come close, Stalker and FO3 except a little role playing and non-human opponents.

Maybe Oblivion (TheElderScrollsIV), but again RPG and non-human characters and Spells+Bows LOL

Or MassEffect, and again... RPG/non-humans.

Tough quest, Ricamundo
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Indeed tough... you're looking for FC3   ;D ;D ;D

I'm playing GTA, which is a 3rd person, but has no aliens or monsters, no teammates either and is open world... its the closest of your requirements I can think of, sorry mate.
If you stood Crysis, which I did only once and never more (waste of money imo), maybe you can try Call of Duty series... I never played any, but am looking at some titles in the future... good WWII shooters, FPS, a bit linear though. There are team mates but they are just there shooting as you shoot too, you don't lead them by the hands, AFAIK, or even Brothers in Arms... teammates, but openworld.
Else, look for Art's and gvse's advice... they sound good too.
If you find something, let us know... your requeriments are mine too  ;) ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Dweller_Benthos

Probably the next shooter I'll pick up is Call of Duty 5, the WWII one. Haven't played a WWII game in a while and that will hold me over until the new Wolfenstein comes out, but that definitely doesn't fit, I don't think it's open world, has plenty of sci-fi monsters, ray guns, etc, for more fun.

Then again, lately, when I'm not busy with other things, I've been playing Crayon Physics. Haven't played FC2 in a few weeks.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Fiach

Tough criteria man!

STALKER, Boiling Point or FO3.

Of the three, I would choose FO3 because it isnt broken.

Yes its an RPG, but you can build some facinating types of characters, melee would be hard though. Easies would be a machine gun build.

If you play on PC it has some good mods apparently, but if on 360, it has some really good DLC.

The land is of course post-apocalyptic, but its inhabited by such a diverse population, you will meet cannibals, druids, mutants, slavers etc all this on top of an extremey interesting story line. But you dont want mutants or freaks, so meh.

Boiling Point would be a good call, its probably fully patched, afaik its available as a budget price game, maybe 6 quid or so...... trying to remember is it FPS or TPS >.<

.....hmmmm... FPS apparently...

wiki linkage :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_Point:_Road_to_Hell
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

spaceboy

I agree your looking for FC3  ;).  Not sure you'll find exactly what your looking for until that happens (hopefully it does).  I do recommend though broadening your requirements, some are pretty strict (like first person).  There are some great games and good times to be had with 3rd person, or even linear games.  Like Art said, some could be pretty cheap if you don't want a brand new one...then at least your fun/dollar can stay high.

My suggestion:
You could probably get Battlefield Bad Company cheap now, it's been out a year.  I'm sure it was on PC too, but I could be wrong.  The SP featured an open world feeling although linear, with great destructible environments. First Person view, real world guns and vehicles.  Funny, Funny dialouge.

http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

DKM2

"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

Ricamundo

Thx for the thoughtful suggestions guys. ;) Yes, the criteria are kinda tight i guess. :P

I've had a look at FO3, and it may be a bit too much for me. RPG's (i actually played Deux Ex years ago) are just not quite my cuppa, although it does look kinda cool, despite the mutants, etc. I like the idea of lots of replayability. Right now it's still a full price game here($60) so the price will have to come down a few bucks before i spring for it.

Stalker looks promising too, and Amazon has it for $15 so i may think about that, although i read that it was pretty buggy.

BTW, whatever i get it absolutely has to be First person. I can't stand third person at all, im afraid.

It may be a long dryspell, as when you think that it was 3 years between FC1 and FC2, it could be another 2 years before we get a FC3, if at all. :'(

Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

PZ

I guess that I'm in the same boat as Ricamundo - FC2 is such a good game that it is difficult to find anything even remotely like it.  In fact, it is the reason that I actually started using the PS3, which was simply sitting on the shelf as an unused paper weight. 

While I dearly love the WWII shooters, COD5 is so linear, the developers might as well be holding my hand as I walk through the narrow paths.  While the weapons are great, and the flamethrower awesome, I managed to finish the game in a couple days of casual playing.  All I can recall after completing the game was thinking to myself: "am I missing something... is that all there is?"

I liked the latest Brothers in Arms, but it too was way to linear for the game to last long.  One of the older WWII shooters, Medal of Honor, Airborne was more open world, but the graphics are rather old school.

I purchased Fuel a short time ago, but have not been able to really get into it yet - for some reason, I am drawn back to FC2 time and again (sorry spaceboy).  I plan to purchase COJ2, and hope that I fare better than I did with the COD5 and BIH titles, but I'm not holding my breath.

I want FC3!  :'(

Ricamundo

Im with you PZ. FC2 has basically rewritten my game preferences. THX Ubi. ;D I've lovewd classic corridor shooters for years, going back all the way to Wolf 3d and Doom, thru Q1 and my old fave Q2, thru Unreal, and HL to HL 2 and FEAR.

FC1, which im replaying now for the 3rd time i think, is a fun game, but im bored to death with it, already, and im only at about the 5th map. :-\

I know i won't finish it, as the last Volcano level is just too dumb for me to bother any more. Same with Crysis, which is amazing, fighting against the Koreans, but once you get to the alien ship, uhhhh im done here.

I'll watch for COJ, which im pretty sure, is alien free, i hope!

spaceboy

haha, no apologies needed.  I think FUEL may not be for everyone.  I just can't help but love it, but then I can be satisfied cruising the landscape with my mp3 going and picking up some races along the way.  It's a very different game.  All told though, it's inFamous that has lion's share of my time right now.  Again, very diff from FC2, but I love it.  At least spacekid is sharing my joy with it!  (He didn't like FUEL...)

Good luck Ricamundo, let us know what you pick up.  I'll think on it somemore too.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

No aliens in COJ as far as I'm aware - just good old fashioned spaghetti western-style Clint Eastwood action.  :-X

PZ

Interestingly, my wife saw Fuel and said that she'd like to try it!  I nearly fell on the floor...

Ricamundo

Quote from: PZ on June 17, 2009, 01:16:04 PM
Interestingly, my wife saw Fuel and said that she'd like to try it!  I nearly fell on the floor...

The family that plays together, stays together, i guess. ;)

Art Blade

well said, Ricamundo :)

PZ, oh man... make her love FUEL on PS3 and then tell her it's how you like FC2... maybe she'll get along with you playing FC2 on PC better, then, while she's on PS3 :)

PZ

lol, I seriously doubt that she'd ever go for games long term.  However, I did purchase her a new over-stuffed rocker/recliner for the office - great reading light and a stand for her wine glass.  It is a perfect reading nook in the office and she just loves it; used it last night in fact .... guess which room the gaming PC is located... ;)

Art Blade

Nice one. I remember the days I used to say, "alright, darling, I'm off for the weekend... some stuff to do at my place that need my undevided attention. Since it wouldn't require your presence, you might as well go out with your friends, have some fun. Back by tomorrow evening (probably). See ya"  ;D

Ricamundo

Argh. >:( I started getting a bit excited reading a review about "Prototype", until i noticed it was 3rd person. Damn! Looked pretty cool. Why can't a review/preview say right off the top if it's first or third person?

Oops, i had forgotten there was a Proto thread already. sorry about that.

Fiach

Umm its full of freaks and mutants anyway, so you still cant play it according to your criteria, or are you not confined by your own rules?  :P ;) ;D
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Ricamundo

Quote from: Fiach on June 18, 2009, 06:19:50 AM
Umm its full of freaks and mutants anyway, so you still cant play it according to your criteria, or are you not confined by your own rules?  :P ;) ;D

Well, if im going to have nay luck finding something new to shoot at, i may have to bend one or 2. ;) The first person thingie is definately going to stay, tho. I can't stand third person.

RedRaven

The Chronicles Of Riddick: Assault On Dark Athena.friend has been playing it on PS3 says its very good, 1st person too, also there is the usual big-sellers from earlier this year / end of last - Crysis; Left for Dead 4; Bioshock; Deadspace...or my personal favourite - Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl (clear sky is not as good sadly).
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

What about Stalker Shadow of Chernobyl being a hell of a lot messed up with bugs? Even after patching, I hear?

At least Stalker Clear Sky is almost bug-free after the patches.

RedRaven

played it with patch 4 and 5 and didnt really get any problems, and with the 'Total Conversion Mods' people have done for it you can get 3 very interesting versions, each with its own distinct feel. But thats not to dismiss that some people did have problems with it in terms of bugs / glitches. guess i was lucky enough to avoid them, played it heavily for about a year, trying many mods and even tweaking files myself then tried both Bioshock and Deadspace (didnt really get in to either), then picked up FC2 and here i am. Also from what i've read of it ArmA2 has FPS/tactical shooter elements, as well as vehicle command and squad command. will have it in a day or so and will post review/ first impression of it.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Tags:
🡱 🡳