immersive experience

Started by spaceboy, June 08, 2009, 09:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaceboy

I mentioned in my first impressions the seamless transition from races and free ride.  I am really liking this because it allows you to immerse yourself in the map a bit more.

Global example:  From any race start point ie. Dry Rigs, you can choose a race or challenge from the menu OR you can start a race by driving around the camp to the start point OR (more to my point) you can drive to the challenges which are typically a ways off from the race starts but still in the "area".  Of course, the "areas" are quite large.

Specific example:  I took off after "spotting" a challenge and headed towards it (a red line on my GPS).  It was probably a 10 minute drive - but I wasn't timing it.  It was dusk and I had to drive through a small "forest" that had recently been burned.  The trees were all black and some were still burning and smoldering.  I could have taken roads only of course, but I like to do a little of both off and on road.  Anyways, I did the race at night, and free-roamed afterwards which meant I took off from where the race ended, day break.  Back through the forest, all fires were out but some trees were still smoking.  There was a thick layer of fog about and I cruised along, satisfied after my race.  Found some asphalt and just took off.  Passed some snowy hills and just drove, drove, drove until the sun was fully showing and the fog had lifted.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Fiach

Thanks for that spaceboy, sounds really cool, will be awhile before I get fuel though, next games on my radar are Prototype and Batman Arkham Asylum.

I like racers, but tend to prefer "defined" tracks, I really like Testdrive Unlimited, you can free roam Oahu, but the races themselves are quite defined routes.

I'll probaly get fuel when its about 20 quid, just for the free roam.

Is there like radio stations or music soundtracks in it?
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Fiach

BTW I used to play a MMO, I think it was called something like Auto Assault, where you drove cars in a post apocalyptic landscape and they had guns etc mounted on the vehicles, was a great idea but the gfx were badly detailed, very bland visuals.

What you describe above sounds awesome compared to that! :)

spaceboy

Thanks Fiach.  Yes, Batman AA is on our list as well (I mean my son and my lists).    Prototype also looks good, perhaps a bit bloodier than I normally go but may get picked up down the road depending on reviews.  Too many good games out right now - I understand.

As for the music question in FUEL, there is music playing but I'm going to try turning on my mp3 through surround sound instead once in a while especially if I'm going to go for a long free roam.  I do really like the snippet of song in the loading screen, I know it sounds crazy but that little bit gets me pumped.

spaceboy

I had another tremendous experience that I think most OWG members could appreciate.  I was spending some time in the Offshore Shack area trying to complete the challenges.  Option 1: Choose the challenges from menu.  Option 2: Drive to them. 

After driving to several challenges and criss crossing across the wonderful terrain for a while I decided to turn down the in-game music and put on my mp3.  It was great to cruise around listening to some good tunes.  Then I came to final challenge, nearby was a vista point.  So I drove on to the vista point...it was night.  I sat and waited, and watched the sunrise.  (The day/night cycle is actually pretty fast).  Then after watching the beautiful sunrise, I drove off to my nearby challenge.

JRD

thats what I like... you can take your time and enjoy the view  ;)... ok, you are on a racing game, but what's the hurry?  ;D ;D
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Very cool experience - just the kind that many members have discussed in the past regarding the beautiful FC2 sunsets and vistas.

Art Blade

Quote from: JRD on June 13, 2009, 08:32:23 AMthats what I like... you can take your time and enjoy the view  ;)... ok, you are on a racing game, but what's the hurry?  ;D ;D

right  ;D

two impressions while off race. The last one being off a cliff, too  ;)

[smg id=974 align=center width=400]
[smg id=975 align=center width=400]
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Wow, beautiful colors.  This game would be almost perfect if you could go on shoot-'em-up missions like FC2!  ;)  ;D

Art Blade

Test-driving a bike... helmet camera  8) By the way, it's dusk and the headlight just went on

[smg id=977 align=center width=400]
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

amazing, there's not only beauty in the landscape... this reminds me of burning oil fields as an aftermath of a war... but then again, the FUEL story tells us that mother nature went bonkers and whipped the land...

[smg id=978 align=center width=400]

Art Blade

Driving around in the neighbourhood... inconspicuous casual wear, unobtrusive hockey helmet, and a low-key car. Perfect  ;D

[smg id=981 align=center width=400]

spaceboy

Quote from: Art Blade on July 03, 2009, 02:45:04 PM
amazing, there's not only beauty in the landscape... this reminds me of burning oil fields as an aftermath of a war... but then again, the FUEL story tells us that mother nature went bonkers and whipped the land...

yes some of the destroyed areas or burning forests are "beautiful".  I saw one abandoned house with a little swing set and slide...no kids to play on.  Sad really.....until I launched off of it during a race  ;D

Art Blade

I liked those immersive views, here for you to enjoy :)

[smg id=986 align=center width=400]
[smg id=987 align=center width=400]

Art Blade

I do like the colours in FUEL :)

[smg id=988 align=center width=400]

Art Blade

There is a town you can drive in around and participate in races... kind of spooky...
[smg id=992 align=center width=400]

...and in the salt desert in the middle of nowhere. great vista point LOL (my first vista I checked out)

[smg id=993 align=center width=400]

PZ

... the most impressive colors I've seen in a game  :-X

spaceboy

interesting vista point. Most I've seen are high on mountains, or at a water's edge or something like that.

Art Blade

Now I have time to explore and roam. Career's finished ;) Nice to cruise around using different vehicles. I like quads and bikes, though :)
[smg id=1006 align=center width=400]
[smg id=1007 align=center width=400]
[smg id=1008 align=center width=400]

JRD

... and what about that town you found?
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

it's just looking spooky. Else, it's a regular part of the game, with career races there. I don't remember where it was, I went through those races all across the map... so bloody big :)

Art Blade

Quote from: spaceboy on June 08, 2009, 09:30:23 AMIt was dusk and I had to drive through a small "forest" that had recently been burned.  The trees were all black and some were still burning and smoldering.  I could have taken roads only of course, but I like to do a little of both off and on road.

Could have met you there, I guess ;)

[smg id=1009 align=center width=400]

Fiach

What is it with the dark corners of the screen shots? They are screenies from PC yeah?

Saw the same on some of the videos, I just figured it was due to a camera used on a TV screen.

Art Blade

it's just like that, like a helmet visor that's dirty in the corners ;) Can't change it. Oh and the burning trees pic has a light cone from the headlights on the ground which adds to the effect.

Fiach

Tags:
🡱 🡳