Finally/Joystick?

Started by KingRat, June 03, 2009, 11:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingRat

Hey, two parter here so don't mind the title  ???

Finally got FC2 on the PC running last night  ;D Had some trouble with the nvidia drivers. Intro was locking up on the drive in, made some changes in game options. This time made it out of the hotel only to get the 'driver stuck in thread' OK, new driver (182.50) Start, intro hangs at intercection with troop convoy...alt-tab clears and I'm running good since. Played about 5hrs last night, but here's something I noticed from the two intros I ran through...the guys that accepts the beer had no shirt on  the first time, and was wearing a camo-T 2nd time... ???

Ok, on to part 2: I've always known I'm terrible with a KB. I started using a MadCatz PantherXL stick back in '99 and my gaming improved tremendously. Played UT, Quake, all the HalfLife games, DeusEx...just about any game using the unreal or quake engine worked. Now I'm thinking about having my original PXL modded for use with FC2. Cost for the mod with logitech 518 guts would be $175..it would be a programmable joystick keyboard keystick in one....

After 100+ hours on the 360 my accuracy was 20%, now after 5+ hours on the PC it's at.......20%  :D

Dweller_Benthos

Never had a problem with the game and I use the most up to date nvidia drivers.

The mercs in the intro are like the mercs anywhere else - random body, clothes, guns, etc.

Can't help you with your stick probs, sounds a bit expensive to me. I could care less what my accuracy is, heck, I shoot at trees just to see the branches fall off.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

Hello KingRat, great you flushed the bugs of your PC :)

Since you don't explicitely ask a question, I read it as "should I pay that much for a gaming device?"

All I know is, price is relative when you consider extensive use of it. Some of us here own a Logitech G15 gaming keyboard that costs beyond reasonable  ;D But we enjoy the gimmicks, features, gadgets, you name it, that come with that keyboard. It is programmable too, and that is very much what I needed.

If you think you're going to be happy to play as back in the day, well, DO IT :) Better spend some money and find out if it was worth it, which it probably will be, than to sit and sulk. If it results not to be worth it, well, at least you know.

It sounds like you'd just like to, and only need someone to tell you to. So, DO IT  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

KingRat

Sheesh...all that and I forgot the tag line  :-[

Would you guys be interested in joystick exploits? Might be interesting if I'm the only one using it? The PXL is a stick/trackball combo, and I would comment more on setup/function than ingame play. Very old review with pic> http://www.joy-stick.net/reviews/joysticks/panther.htm

I do already have a modded one, but it needs keyboard emulation software which this new version doesn't, actually I believe I can trade in this version for a lot fewer $$ :-\

Now that I've muddied the waters it's time for a beer, maybe that will help me think straight  ;)

Art Blade

;D You can still edit you own first post and change the subject, and/or edit your text. Like that, first-time readers get your ideas faster.  :-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Personally, I'm always interested in new ways to control the games.  :-X

Art Blade

I'm open to new stuff too :)

Only thing I don't do is play FPS with any joystick. A good mouse, a good mousemat, and a good Keyboard is all I need.

Regarding races, I have that Logitech G25 wheel with extra shifter, and 3 pedals. Couldn't do that with mouse or joystick.

A Joystick is absolutely a must when controlling an aircraft. No matter if plane or heli. Then again, a simple joystick won't do either, I'd get a throttle control, perhaps a rudder control, additionally to a stick.

JRD

I'm with Art.... mouse is absolutely what you need to play FPS.
A good joystick is essential to fly a plane or heli too.
I'm fine with the same joystick to play racing game though. As soon as FUEL is out, I'm buying a joystick, just don't know which one yet. Will be helpful to play GTA (fly helis) and Flight Simulator X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: KingRat on June 03, 2009, 12:39:47 PM
I do already have a modded one, but it needs keyboard emulation software which this new version doesn't, actually I believe I can trade in this version for a lot fewer $$ :-\

Don't know if it will w@&k for you, but back when I was playing BF1942, I used a program called JoyToKey which could emulate any keystroke/mouse click and pump it through your joystick. Was great for getting the mouse look into the hat on my joystick so I could look around while flying a plane.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

KingRat

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on June 04, 2009, 11:26:17 AM
Quote from: KingRat on June 03, 2009, 12:39:47 PM

Don't know if it will w@&k for you, but back when I was playing BF1942, I used a program called JoyToKey which could emulate any keystroke/mouse click and pump it through your joystick. Was great for getting the mouse look into the hat on my joystick so I could look around while flying a plane.

Yes, JoyToKey is one, and I believe RBjoy is another. I'm still mulling over what I want to do. If Steve would give me a good credit for my original PXL I might consider swapping 2 for 1. I'm slowly reducing the size of my PC parts warehouse...getting to where I can move around in the shop again  :)

Thanks for the input  :-X

KingRat

OverToad was the undefeated USA Unreal Tournament 1 on 1 champ, and he used a PXL  ;)

Anyway, I've been in touch with Steveo at assassin3d and he said the Ver.3 works great in FC2 in keystick mode (no emulation)....so for $40 I'm going to do it. Probably be a few weeks, but I'll be sure and let you guys know how it goes.... :)

KingRat

Got the PXL back from Steveo last month, but been busy catching up with a backlog of games I have for the 360.

Anyway, Steveo posted a clip of him using the new v3 PXL on Quake Live with Win7 64bit...>  http://assassi.ning.com/profiles/blogs/quake-live-in-win7

I'll get it setup on the PC with FC2 next week sometime  :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳