Duke Nukem Forever

Started by black.penta, May 31, 2009, 05:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

I don't know the old Duke so well; I remember flying with the rockedpack once or twice at the PC of a friend, but that's it. I'm getting the picture though, and I think I missed something there ;)
Good that they made this new version, sounds lot of fun. No bullsh*t, just fun and action  ^-^
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Fiach

Quote from: Binnatics on June 21, 2011, 05:49:17 AM
Good that they made this new version, sounds lot of fun. No bullsh*t, just fun and action  ^-^

Sounds like Borderlands.... oh wait, they made that too :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

LOL  ^+-+

Cheers, fragger :) Sorry but there is no jet pack in SP. Only in MP.

Fiach, sorry about you not being able to play that game yet, .. hope you'll get your grubby greedy mitts on it real quick  :-D

Binnatics, you didn't miss just something,  then. You missed a milestone of the shooter genre  :'( But. If you think you missed something you would have liked to play had you known about it, maybe now is your chance to at least get an idea of what it used to be, this game so far isn't far from what it used to be  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

*While reading through the topic, Fiach suddenly realises that Art has been discussing a FPS and hasn't mentioned "headshot" once!

The meds must be workin mate :)

Art Blade

No headshots :-()

Back in the day of Duke, there was just either a "hit" or a "miss," no aiming at certain parts of the body required. Back in the day, things used to be simple.

Hmm, if "miss" is female, then the opposite sex indeed should be "hit" rather than "mister."  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

I think it comes from Mistress :)

A mistress is something you usually find, between Master and Matress :)

Art Blade

Art Blade

[smg id=3446 type=link align=center width=500 caption="DNF 015"]

So far, the game is just pure fun. Old school shooter. Old school Duke. Forget about what other people, so called "critics," wrote. I reckon they were expecting something ten times cooler than what Crysis was thought to be before the game was released. I believe they thought 12 years of ongoing over-the-top dedicated development would bring us the next generation of video games. No.

During the past two years, Gearbox indeed managed to stitch together 12-year-old code fragments and all they got from the devs. They present us with a game based on the Unreal engine.

The game is far, far from taking itself seriously, it is a parody. It exaggerates everything that has ever been done in 1990s shooters, it is great fun. It is just what I thought it would be: A proper sequel of Duke Nukem 3D.

If you liked D3D then you will  like DNF  :)

Fiach

Its amazing how a game with a sense of humour tends to go right over the heads of reviewers. It's not like Duke humour is subtle, its really in your face and you cant ignore it, so maybe that annoys some reviewers, I dunno.

I reckon the game will sell well, lots of Duke fans will get it, regardless of the reviews, others will get it, because of the Gearbox connection, others will just buy it, while they wait for the next big FPS, to see what all the fuss is about.

Hopefully it will generate enough revenue, to allow Gearbox to develop it into a proper franchise and bring us a more up to date version in the very near future.

Hail to the king baby! :)

Art Blade

Well said  :)

There are only very few "modern" things added to the game:

Self-healing (stay out of trouble for a couple of seconds and the health bar, called "EGO," will go back to full), and you're only capable of carrying a primary and a secondary weapon along with "stuff" (beer, amphetamine, laser mines, pipe bombs). And because it is STEAM-based, there are achievements to be unlocked.

One of which is "kill 30 enemies with headshots," which I just unlocked. Fiach. :-()

The only downside for me so far is that console feature of checkpoint saving. No manual saving, and only one savegame. Pity.

All the rest.. COME, GET SOME!  >:D

Fiach

Art Blade

Good ol' Doug.  ;D

"Sometimes I think, maybe I wanna join the army. I mean, it's basically like FPS, except better graphics. But what happens if I get lagged out there? I'm dead!"

Fiach

Yeah, I love the knife bit, "everyone knows you run faster with a knife" :)

Binnatics

Hmmm, Jetpack in MP? That sounds very, very good! Reminds me of the MP in Red Faction Guerrilla, which I loved very much!  :-X
More fancy stuff in MP? Backpack-weapon-combi?
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

fragger

So they've made one concession to modernity regarding weapon loadouts - being able to carry only two weapons instead of the original ten :-()

I remember a couple of innovative and funny weapons in the original Duke: A shrink-ray gun that reduced bad guys to about six inches high for a few seconds, allowing you to run up and step on them, and a Mr. Freeze-type weapon that would turn enemies into ice, again just for a few seconds, but you could then shoot them with another gun or even just run up and kick them and they'd shatter :-X

But my favourite was a weapon whose name escapes me which was a kind of twin rocket launcher that would spit out a stream of mini-rockets in very quick succession, sort of like a machine gun firing rockets instead of bullets. It was called the Eliminator or Annihilator or something like that. Unfortunately the ammo you could carry for it was limited and it ran out quite quickly.

No jetpack in SP, huh? Bummer...

Fiach

Quote from: fragger on June 22, 2011, 01:05:31 AM

But my favourite was a weapon whose name escapes me which was a kind of twin rocket launcher that would spit out a stream of mini-rockets in very quick succession, sort of like a machine gun firing rockets instead of bullets.

Sounds like a weapon you would find in Borderlands lol :)

Art Blade

I haven't tried MP yet so I cannot comment on it. I hear that there are four MP types and 10 maps.

The Devastator or whatever the name of that gun is, is still there. You even start with it, check the arena screenshot again, here:
[smg id=3433 type=link align=center width=500]
I think it's got like 65 rockets ammo to carry around with. You'll find that weapon again later in the game.

Where I am now in the story, like halfway through, there are now the alien "volcano" things that shrink you when you step on them and white round plates on the floor that put you back in size when you step on those. I fought mini pig cops that, funny enough, shoot with guns that are as loud and as powerful as the big versions. It is funny when you're big and a little piggy shoots at you: You hear the shots, you see the tracers, you get damn well hurt by them but you hardly see the tiny bastards using them  ??? :-D

There will be ice and shrink weapons, I hear. Apparently later on in the game. For now I am very  happy with a sniper rail gun (only 12 rounds ammo to carry, though, but it is like a guaranteed instant kill).

There are different weapons you keep finding: a rocket launcher, a shotgun, a pistol, an alien laser, an alien captain laser, that devastator, a three-barrelled AR, rail gun. So far. There will be more which I'll have yet to find  :)

This game is SO much fun  ;D

Fiach

I just came across a .... well not a review, they said the game was so crap, they wouldnt review it LOL :)

Can you run around and stomp on people you shrink?

Binnatics

Was the old Duke 3D before or after Doom 2? Must have been slightly after it I guess. Doom 2 didn't have mouse-aiming did it? I remember having a completely different setup on my keyboard. With shift you could switch from straving left / right to turning left or right. Lol, that's long ago  :-D

Art Blade

Fiach, you can't stomp on them (there is no kick attack unlike the boot that used to be there in D3D) which is sad. You can crouch and smack them, however, or use other options (shoot, explode stuff, throw stuff).

Binnatics, Doom2 was released 1994 while D3D was released in 1996.

Binnatics

Haha, you have a funny line under your posts Art!! Indeed, gaming time is in dark, so the sunlight won't f*@k up your brightness levels :)

Art Blade

my signature, yes  ;D Those are my very own words and it is my true creed :-()

Art Blade

The gun fragger was referring to is indeed called "Devastator." I found the shrink-gun in the meantime and there is another weapon called "Enforcer." The three-barrelled assault rifle is called "Ripper." There is something else you may remember: Our beloved Holoduke is back  :-() :-X (you turn invisible while your holographic clone walks around for some time to distract enemies and it even shoots rather noisily ^-^)

Just a few more pics :)

Shrunk pig cop (left) and a random body (right)
[smg id=3448 type=link align=center width=500 caption="DNF 016"]
Some High Noon Western parody, a shoot-out here. With aliens.  :-D
[smg id=3449 type=link align=center width=500 caption="DNF 017"]
About the only pic I could take that doesn't contain too much flesh in Duke's "Titty Town" strip club where there are also a lot of playable games to be found in a games room, like pool, basketball, air hockey and more.
[smg id=3450 type=link align=center width=500 caption="DNF 018"]
The game DNF is full of funny details. Found this on the ceiling of his MP apartment (kind of your personal lobby). LOL  ^+-+
[smg id=3451 type=link align=center width=500 caption="DNF 019"]
Here the original to be found in the Sistine chapel.
[smg id=3447 type=link align=center width=500 caption="Michelangelo's original"]

Art Blade

After a Boss Fight. Standing on top of it with one of its horns relocated to where it used to have an ugly eye. I had that horn torn off of its head prior to violently sticking it back in  >:D

[smg id=3452 type=link align=center width=500 caption="DNF 020"]

Bosses only fold to explosives like rockets, pipe bombs, environmental stuff like exploding barrels and the likes, you cannot just shoot and kill them with simple firearms. Bosses also require you to finish them off just like this one, you usually need to wrestle something like an eye, a horn, a tongue and so on out of their bodies so they finally croak.

Yay, now I've got the Freeze Ray Gun which is the first weapon that automatically recharges, no need to find ammo for it :-X

At the same time, I'm presented with this modern loadout problem: Only two weapons. Since I found the rail gun I have always tried to keep it or to find a new one as soon as possible. Only 12 rounds but it's a scoped weapon, good for reconnaissance, and it packs a hell of a punch per round combined with almost endless range. I love to snipe. For close-quarters combat I love my 28 rounds of decent shotgun blasts that knock any enemy back to the Stone Age.  :-D

And now I'll have to give one up in favour of that freezing thing. :'(

Dweller_Benthos

I'm disappointed to hear you can only carry two guns, one of the great things about Duke was how many silly weapons you could carry, and the decision to use one or the other. It's like if Serious Sam could only carry two, why bother?
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳