Rainy Days (weather in FC2)

Started by gvse, May 20, 2009, 02:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gvse

Hi folks,
First post, but been lurking for some time as I cannot stop playing this game. Got a question that's related to some of the things you have been discussing here, i.e. is it possible (a command line or sth?) to somehow switch on rain whenever you like. I like the ambience it provides but unfortunately i get to see it so rarely.

Edit: just read the cheat topic and seems like I can use the timescale0 command and then head to a safe house and keep sleeping till it starts to rain, huh?

JRD

Welcome gvse
I don't think there is a command line for that (I remember GTA SA has one command line for each weather) otherwise D_B or Art Blade would have posted it here somewhere! But you better wait for their reply since they are fooling around with codes and command lines more often than me  ;)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

gvse

thanks man, I just edited my post after reading some more here. I wonder if it will w@&k but will have to check it tomorrow as it's time to hit the pillow :)

Art Blade

thank you for asking us, and welcome aboard, gvse :)

You were right with the timescale 0. Look at it this way: Weather changes over time. So, if you freeze time with timescale 0, the side effect is that the present weather cannot change. Therefore your assumption is correct, go to a safehouse, set the clock like 1hr ahead and take a look at the weather. Repeat procedure... As soon as it rains, save the game. Then quit to desktop, make a copy of your shortcut to FC2 and edit the copy adding the -GameProfile_timescale 0 command (please refer to the cheats topic for more details). Then fire up FC2 using the edited shortcut and voilà, same time, same weather, always. :)

edit: of course you can use the cheat and then go to the safehouse and advance the time there, save when the weather is to your taste, and go on right away from there.

Quoteswitch on rain whenever you like. I like the ambience it provides but unfortunately i get to see it so rarely.
[smg id=177]
rainy day
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

I often wondered if rain will dampen the sound you make and make it harder for the mercs to find you. Never really tested it any to find out.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

I wondered that too... you're giving me ideas there, D_B  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Let us know how it turns out - I love the rainy times myself and would like to have saved games with a rainy environment.  Makes it feel "cozy" when you go into a building and you can hear the rain on the roof.  Speaking of going into rooms, I always gain a sensation of "cool" (temperature) when entering the UFLL or APR headquarters from a hot sunny afternoon.

Art Blade

edited the post, you can use the cheat and then change time&weather.

gvse

I appreciate the feedback guys. Haven't tried it out yet, but as soon as I do I will let you know what the results are. I wonder if it will rain over the entire map, i.e. in the desert as well? Gonna see soon.

Edit: yep, it rains in Africa all the time now! usually showers occur in the early hours so sleep tight till then ;)

Art Blade

that's what I was wondering for some time now: Has anyone seen rain at night ? I can't remember I ever did.

gvse

Quote from: Art Blade on May 22, 2009, 01:58:55 PM
that's what I was wondering for some time now: Has anyone seen rain at night ? I can't remember I ever did.
neither have I. Almost always mornings as far as I remember.
I caught a light shower this time, and I need to head back to the safe house to fast forward to sth more ominous and atmospheric.

Art Blade

reminds me of Stalker Clear Sky. I was out at the Garbage at night, pitch black I have to add, and a thunderstorm with rain and occasional lightnings kicked in... and out of the dark, suddenly a set of glowing eyes stared at me -- EEEEEEEEEK! that made me scream LOL

RedRaven

know what you mean ART, Stalker is only game to make me jump so much! lights off, headphones on, couple o beers and a Controller in a dark tunnel..... actually fell off chair once when i jumped. 1st game is much darker than ClearSky, and some of the mods for it make it REALLY scary..... scarier than almost all horror films i`ve seen anyway. great game.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

indeed, I don't recall any other game that moody. And frightening at times, at least. Only thing I disliked was the 2nd sniper rifle was available so late in the game and due to some bugs sometimes impossible to get.

RedRaven

didnt really use the sniper rifles in it, usually added silencer/scope/grenade launcher to an assault rifle. but usually used shotguns in it, really liked the fact you could choose and change type of shot used.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

that's what I like too: to tinker with equipment. Boost here, add there... I tried various combinations with that exo-skeleton and ended up with a monster that could carry 150kg :) and some assault rifle with silencer and a proper scope. I loved it  ;D

KingRat

Quote from: Art Blade on May 22, 2009, 01:58:55 PM

Yep, my first playthrough. Got the mission to take out Mbantuwe at the brewery. Took the bus down to the marina and went to Mike's to get the assault truck, and pickup silenced weapons. Drove toward the brewery and it started raining; I pulled off at the graveyard and headed off through the jungle. It was dark and the rain turned into a regular monsoon. I snuck right past a couple guards, took care of business and retraced my path back to Mikes.

That was a good one  :)

Art Blade

thanks for your info, and the nice story :) I'm going to play weather god now and set the alarm clock until I see it rain at night. If you don't see me post the next couple of days, erm, I might not have been successful yet  ;)

gvse

Hey guys,
Just a small update from rainy Africa. Not sure if it's just an uncanny coincidence but after catching a rainy moment, saving the game and using the timescale 0 tweak, it rains even after travelling by bus, which includes a change of time of the day, i.e. it gets dark and then it's dawn but it continues to rain. It's cool actually cause now I can try out the ambience provided by the showers in combination with differnt lighting! :)

JRD

Thats great gvse!!
Rain effect plus light effect in FC2 sure makes a nice senario to enjoy  :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

I'd like to experience the same rain during the entire day as well.  I'd also like to use Art's other method to use real-time just for fun - at times the time of day passes just a bit too quickly.

Thanks for the story gvse!   :-X

Art Blade

Quote from: gvse on May 30, 2009, 01:52:29 PMit rains even after travelling by bus, which includes a change of time of the day, i.e. it gets dark and then it's dawn but it continues to rain

That's interesting and unexpected, thanks for the info :)

I've been experimenting too: I made a desktop shortcut with timescale 250 and started a savegame where I was standing next to a safehouse, looking at two dirty cars. The time and weather passed rather quickly, but not in a matter that makes you dizzy ;) Eventually it started to rain at 4:30am, still dark :) I hit F5 for a quick save and quit to desktop (not crash to desktop haha). Then I used my timescale 0 shortcut and preserved that nightly rain :)

On a sidenote: To wash a car you need rain. It only works if you actually pass like one or two minutes in real time though. I had watched an accelerated weather and rain, but the cars stayed dirty because it took only seconds then.

Art Blade

Moderator/Admin:

We are far off topic for some time :)

Could you perhaps split this off at post#13 and call it maybe "rainy weather", and perhaps move it to the questions board?

I might need to change my link in the cheats topic (linked to #13)

cheers :)

gvse

Quote from: Art Blade on May 30, 2009, 03:34:38 PM
Moderator/Admin:

We are far off topic for some time :)

Could you perhaps split this off at post#13 and call it maybe "rainy weather", and perhaps move it to the questions board?

I might need to change my link in the cheats topic (linked to #13)

cheers :)

Good idea; I'm all for it!
I'm back though to continue the offtopic conversation: sadly and strangely the rain stops upon walking away from the bus shelter, which means I was wrong, and time and weather does change when you decide to take the bus.
Hope to be back in a separate thread next time.

Art Blade

funny thing, I happen to be a moderator now. Tssss... didn't know I was talking business to myself then  ;D ;D ;D

Done, and Done :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳