No
2 (33.3%)
Plan to install
1 (16.7%)
Will Never install
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

DKM2

I have punkbuster installed, but haven't put it on our server yet.
So I'd like to get an idea of what people feel about it before I do.

I think I've really only seen one person online (not our games) that may have been cheating.
whole clip, point blank, and a few headshots can make you a little suspicious.  ;D

http://www.punkbuster.com/
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

Art Blade

heh, you didn't vote yourself then? :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

DKM2

No, I figured I'd let a few vote first, see how the tide goes.   ;)
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

PZ

What are the implications of installing Punkbuster (positive and/or negative)?  I've seen it mentioned in other forums, but am not familiar with it.

Art Blade

all I know is that it's MP anti-cheat software (you can see it in the process list of the task manager btw) and some games use it, not to say force you to.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

DKM2

Quote from: PZ on May 31, 2009, 02:38:31 PM
What are the implications of installing Punkbuster (positive and/or negative)?  I've seen it mentioned in other forums, but am not familiar with it.
It monitors game memory when playing online.
FC2 supports it, meaning the developers paid them to include  it.
Its not a big deal for FC2, but other games like WarCraft3, they nd die with it. everyone has it.

Hacko

I've used PunkBuster in various games, it is an anti cheat software that works ok on the whole. It doesn't really have any negative affects on the game, I would install it if you can.

Dweller_Benthos

I had it but got rid of it when I was looking for the source of some other problems I had. It runs a couple programs in the background ALL THE TIME whether you are playing online or not, since I never play online, I got rid of it.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Hacko

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on June 03, 2009, 11:37:44 AM
I had it but got rid of it when I was looking for the source of some other problems I had. It runs a couple programs in the background ALL THE TIME whether you are playing online or not, since I never play online, I got rid of it.

I think you are talking about the processes Punkbuster A and B, they can be shutdown manually when not playing a game. :-X

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, that's them, but I shouldn't have to shut them down at all, they shouldn't run unless I'm playing a game online that requires PB. I used to use PB back in the day when I could play RTCW online with dialup, but since those days are long gone, I have no need for PB.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Hacko

They are a pain how they stay on unless shut down manually, but I do it anyways. :-X I loved RTCW, played a sh*tload of that MP back in the day. ;D

Dansin_Outlaw

When I installed the game it set the PB up automatically.  But it never worked right.  Whenever I'd go to a ranked server or any PB servers I'd get booted out for "zero minutes" as soon as I logged in, along with some error message about packet flow.  I looked it up online and found my problem.  I have the pnkbstr A and B, but not the K files.  So I went straight to the pb website and found the fix.  Unfortunately I'm not that bright.  Long story short... it didn't w@&k and now I don't even have PB A & B.

DKM2

I've had my problems with it too.
Mine wasn't working and I gave up, and one day like magic it was okay.
I don't use it on the server, too many problems, and it doesn't help with cheaters anyways.

I'd just re-download and install again.

Tags:
🡱 🡳