Do you / Dont you ? (use crosshairs)

Started by RedRaven, May 22, 2009, 06:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedRaven

Who out there plays WITHOUT crosshairs on ?

edit: extended the subject so we know what we do or don't do /Art
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

me. Never had it on, actually :) (despite of playing on easy)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

RedRaven

tried it but found it tricky, and like it when crosshairs go red when target is in-sights (makes it easier to find them when they go all "chicken" and decide to hide) :-X
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

spaceboy

Quote from: dke58 on May 22, 2009, 07:42:10 PM
tried it but found it tricky, and like it when crosshairs go red when target is in-sights (makes it easier to find them when they go all "chicken" and decide to hide) :-X

yep, same for me.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

I enjoy the tension when they hide out (even more so at night), the last question is always "was that the last one of th..(Bang) oh for fucks sake!"  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

deadman1

Quote from: Art Blade on May 23, 2009, 01:28:03 AM
I enjoy the tension when they hide out (even more so at night), the last question is always "was that the last one of th..(Bang) oh for f@#$s sake!"  ;D

Oh how I recognize that  ;D and yes I play without a crosshair.

PZ

With the cross hair on the console and without on the PC - the cross hair on the PC just gets in the way while on the console I need it due to difficult aiming issues for me.

Art Blade

speaking of "gets in the way" - what I absolutely admire about the graphics is... wait for it... NO indicators whatsoever. Just pure environment. Only if you're low on ammo or health, the indicators show up, but most of the time the only thing you see is your hand. Compared to other games: Compass, armour, weapons, ammo, whatnot stats over stats over stats. So much info you hardly see the game. With FC2, a night is dark(ish) and not a black spot surrounded by glowing indicators :) That is indeed why the crosshair is more disturbing than helping... immersion :)

deadman1

I play a lot of fps games and until I started playing FC2 I found it very hard to play without the HUD (all the stats that Art mentions), but now I don´t miss them at all. It´s very strange really.

Art Blade

of course, HUD. Even forgot the term (HeadUpDisplay I guess it was) LOL  ;D

RedRaven

thats one of the things that really got me hooked on FC2, No distracting HUD info, found it very distracting in most other games, but as Deadman says "dont miss it" reckon thats got a great deal to do with how "un-natural" that sort of display is to almost every body (exceptions being military professionals like Tank commanders and fighter/helicopter pilots, for them its essential to survival and effective operation of the increasingly hi-tech machines they use)
next play-thru will try no crosshairs properly and see if can master it. 8)

Art Blade

that's the spirit :)

Unless you play on a handheld, the weapons' sights are big enough to use and they are also very accurate.

JRD

First playthrough (on normal) I had crosshair on by default. Second time through (hardcore) no crosshair by default and will play without it next time for sure. As long as you use ironsights, you don't need crosshairs.
And I agree 110% with the great relief on playing with no HUD as well... immersion is increased and you get to enjoy the beautyful game FC2 is
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

SoulFallen

I never had it on once I got the game for PC.....I had it on xbox 360 but never payed any mind to it.  I enjoy the immersion more without the crosshairs.

Dweller_Benthos

This time around I have it off, first time on normal it was on, I didn't really think about it, doesn't bother me one way or the other. But it does bring to mind an old glitch from Battlefield 1942 that some people had (I didn't) where the crosshair wouldn't show no matter what, some kind of graphics card problem. Anyway, one of the suggestions that some people actually did was to put a small piece of clear tape on the middle of your monitor and DRAW a crosshair on it. With a pen. LOL Since the crosshair is always in the middle of the screen no matter where you look, I guess it worked, but I found it funny.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

I didn't know about that. Independantly, I touched my screen with a thin red felt-tip pen exactly at the center of my screen. You hardly see it, but I find it useful, and funny when I watch a film. With that dot, you can watch camera movements in a different way :)

Burawura

I've never used the crosshairs in this game!  As soon as I saw the option to turn it off I did just that :)

In my opinion if a game has an ironsight aiming system, crosshairs are unnecessary and cumbersome.  No reticle also makes "firing from the hip" more challenging, and I have actually recently started using the "firing from the hip" approach more often than not in close quarters as it is much quicker than waiting for the aiming animation before firing.

iGame3D

I played six times without the crosshairs, then turned them on.
It does help find these guys in the bush.
Not so much with aiming really since people like to move, the iron sights are better in the end.

fragger

I've always preferred crosshairs off just for the extra realism value. Unless you're the Terminator or the Six-Dollar Man you don't go about your life with a crosshair suspended in your vision to show you which way you're looking (though I could probably benefit from one). In a game like FC2 I feel it's more in keeping with the ruggedness of the game's premise to go crosshair-less.
Plus, it's just more rewarding to plug a baddie with a single shot or burst from the hip with no aiming aids at all, bar eyes.
In fact, I've always gone without crosshairs in any game that features ironsight aiming.

Tags:
🡱 🡳