Max Payne 3

Started by JRD, March 18, 2009, 09:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Just heard of...
Nothing confirmed yet, but I would like to see him back....
Played MP1 many times and loved it. It's a 3rd person, corridor game, but the bullet time effect is something amazing.
Jump into a firefight and dodge bullets like you are in a matrix movie... sweet.
Wait and see...
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

spearhead_22

I've heard of Max Payne 3 too. Have been tracking it through gamespot.com
Max Payne (I) was one of my favorite games of all times. I lost count how many times I had played it. I installed the Kung Fu Mod and the Katana Mod as well. Found the maneuvers better than the original game. Max Payne 2 wasn't up to the mark. I hated the way the character ran. Hopefully, Max Payne 3 would have some new stuff to experiment and better run/walk animation.
Don't knock on Heaven's door. Ring the bell and...run! He hates it. :)

JRD

Well, well well... now its official  :)

Max Payne 3 is due in Q4/2009 (hopefully)
Now developed by Rockstar, same as GTA series, it seems to take place in São paulo, Brazil (my hometown  8)) and, considering what Rockstar usually do, it might be open world (I'm guessing here, nothing official)

here is what I got at gamespot.com

=======================================

Rockstar's Vancouver studio takes over from Remedy for third outing of ex-NYPD vigilante.

For fans of Max Payne, it has been a long wait since 2003 when the last game in the franchise was released to critical acclaim. Talk of a sequel came in 2004, when Take-Two hinted that a follow-up would eventually arrive. Fast-forward to 2008, and Take-Two chairman Strauss Zelnick once again mentioned the franchise, teasing that another installment may be in the works but again providing no firm details.

Today, Take-Two and its Rockstar Games subsidiary have announced that Max Payne 3 is indeed in development and is penned for a winter 2009 release on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. The game is being developed by Rockstar Vancouver, the same outfit behind the controversial sandbox action adventure Bully. Finnish outfit Remedy, which developed the first two Max Payne titles, is currently developing Alan Wake, which will be published by Microsoft.

Rockstar Vancouver will apparently not be straying far from Remedy's original formula, however, as Max Payne 3 again sees the titular retired NYPD veteran battling internal demons as well as those that plague the city's streets.

"We're starting a new chapter of Max's life with this game," commented Rockstar cofounder Sam Houser in a statement. "This is Max as we've never seen him before, a few years older, more world-weary and cynical than ever. We experience the downward spiral of his life after the events of Max Payne 2 and witness his last chance for salvation."

Rockstar did not delve into specific gameplay details, and did not mention the series' genre-defining "bullet time" slow-motion technique. The publisher merely noted that "the latest installment delivers more of the classic elements and hyperintense action that fans have come to love."

When Max Payne 3 rolls around this winter, it may find itself on shakier legs than when it left off six years ago. In October, the franchise saw its first transition to the silver screen. And while the Mark Wahlberg-led action flick pulled in healthy opening-week revenues, critics were all too eager to redub the film "Maximum Payneful" (an actual quote).

========================================

Wait and see... fingers crossed  ;)

Fiach

I liked the film personally, great to here that #3 is coming.

..... note to self .... finish MP2 ..... doh!  :-[
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

JRD

Since it seems like the season for "Upcoming Games on my list" is open... I don't want to let this topic burried  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU5BkJoUUos&feature=related

Art Blade

:) I don't know, but it reminded me of the Favelas of Rio de Janeiro, can you confirm that, JRD?
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

JRD

Yeap... in the beginning Max is living in Brazil and soon his rage is directed to local criminals... more details sometime this year  ;)

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Rockstar gives release date: march 2012, for all PS3, XBOX and PC!!
They also promised to make a multiplayer, with different playmodi and will support clans. Don't know what that means, but it might be like starting a clan, and gain power as a clan. Imagine a OWG clan taking over >:D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

JRD

Get your PCs and consoles ready, folks... this is going to be amazing!

Max Payne 3: Design & Tech Trailer

Binnatics

Whoaaah!!!!

That's gonna be amazing!!! :-X :o :) :-X
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

JRD

I like the part, in the end, where it says: this video was made with ingame footage! which means: what you see is what you get!  >:D

Art Blade

I am SO glad Rockstar ensures the jobs of Germany's game-censoring office. Again a product I can't buy in my own country if I want to really enjoy it.

fragger

Very impressive, but I hate to think what the system requirements will be if you want it to look the way it does in that clip ??? I'd probably get a frame rate of about one every two seconds on my current rig :-()

PZ

Very impressive - as always, graphics is probably the most important game characteristics for me.

Binnatics

I think, by making the game corridor and in small portions, these shown graphics are possible for most pc gamers. Not sure but usually when the environment stays small it's easier to get great graphics like shown.  ????

Sorry for my German friends about the endless censorship. It's time for a w@&k-around or something. Maybe steam is the ticket, or maybe there should be a big phat hack on that censorsystem there! >:(

For me, the graphics are definitely important too. Especially when you make moves like this 'slow-motion-shooting'.

This special feature seems to be the big hit in Max Payne again, which is logical because that was the main thing in the game. What I miss a little though, is the comic-like graphics. I remember they made a great cross-over between 3D graphics and comics. Anyway, it looks great, that's for sure :-()

JRD

As I remember from the first game, Max's backstory was told as a comic book between levels. You could read what happened when you are not playing or skip and go straight to the action! The graphics back then were pretty much real not actually comic book style though.

As for the corridor nature of the game I didn't read anything regarding MP3 being open world. Both previous games were classic corridor style third person shooters but I really would like something more open this time around!

Art Blade

For some reason Kane&Lynch springs to mind. Excellent game back then, yet linear. That's the reason why I never re-played it. Like basically all linear games they lack replay value. You've done it once? Enough :) No surprises. The only thing in a linear game I replayed were certain parts/missions, given the game allowed suitable saves.

Binnatics

I'm longing for a replay of Bulletstorm. Miss the game sort of, especially now that I'm playing the skill based game Batman.  :-()

Binnatics

I read great info about the MP in MP3. lol :-D

It's going to be just like regular MP's, and a bunch of guys who got a testing version speak of an amazingly solid and enjoyable MP set-up. What is revolutionary, is the way they introduced 'bullet time' and 'shoot dodge' in the MP. They will be available as so called 'bursts'. To be able to use bursts you have to lvl up a bit first, in order to unlock a burst type, and then you need adrenaline to perform one. Adrenaline is gained by killing or hurting enemies.
The comments of the group of guys who had the honour to test the MP, were that these bursts are very well thought out, and quite clever. Rockstar figured out a way to have 'bullet time' function good in a MP setting by defining that all the players 'in direct sight' of the user of bullet time, will suffer a time jam for max 6 seconds. But not only the players in sight of the user of the burst, but the players in direct sight of his victims as well.  :-X Otherwise there would be an unfair advantage for them, since they could slaughter the entire enemy team if the original user looks in the right direction. Pretty smart  :-()

There will be plenty of other bursts available as well; things like 'unlimited ammo' during 20 seconds, 'armour piercing bullets' for the a short period or extra health for you and nearby teammates.

One game mode sounds new to me, called 'Payne killer'. Two people will become Max and Passos, his campaign helper, and these 2 will have better bullets and armour. The rest tries to kill these two. When Max or Passos is killed, a new player will be assigned to that person. The biggest killer ´during being Max or Passos´ will win. Sounds cool, 2 against the world :-X 8)

Here´s where I found the info (Dutch site, sorry)
http://tweakers.net/reviews/2542/1/hands-on-max-payne-3-multiplayer-solist-zoekt-collegas.html

Rockstar promised there will be more, according to game modes. So that all sounds pretty cool to me 8) ;)

ninzza

JRD

After downloading 35 GB worth of data I was really looking forward to try this game out with my new GPU.

I spent the whole day at w@&k just hoping this monday would end so I could come home and play a DX11 game.

So I fired STEAM and selected Max Payne 3 and..... it froze in the very first intro screen  :D  the one that says "Max Payne 3 and Rockstar logo are trademarks blah blah blah......  >:((

Now instead of having a first impression what I have is a Check Game Cache Integrity running while checking the official website and STEAM support... all for a game I didn't even see yet!

What a freaking first impression Rockstar is giving me!  :angry-new:

But looking on the bright side... I can check how good is their support!  ::)

Fiach

I dont use Steam due to issues I had with Dead Island there, Steam cost me 90+ hours of gameplay when it buggered up my save file.

I played MP3 on release and didnt get very far with it personally.

The game is very story driven, which is a good thimg, but I felt it kept pulling me out of the experience with the camera w@&k, also when you hit enemies the camera kept shifting to kill cam or following the bullet as it travelled towards the target.

I just could not settle into the game, but from what I can gather from friends, it is VERY good, so I think you will enjoy it alot. Hopefully you played the prequels, if not, they are well worth playing, but avoid the movie at all costs :)
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

JRD

That's the first time I encounter an issue with STEAM. I must say their service is pretty good imo. Besides, I don't have much choice but buy games legally at STEAM. A game purchased in a retail store would cost me 2.5 to 3 times more than at STEAM due to ridiculous taxes in Brazil. Actually, buying a game - provided it's not on release - can cost me quite the same as a pirate game. I bought several titles for excellent prices during fire sales in STEAM and I never regreted!  :-X

As for MP3 well, shooters are not your cup of tea Fiach so I understand you not going very far.  :)

I know it's story driven and very linear as the other games on the series. I played the original Max Payne but somehow skipped Max Payne 2. MP2 was pretty much a sequel with basically the same engine, graphics and game dynamics. This thrid installment is meant to change Max and present him several years after the last game and in a whole new set... it takes place in São Paulo, my home town!  >:D

I've sent some config report files to Rockstar support so they can troubleshoot my problem with Max Payne 3... in the meantime I deleted all local content and am downloading all 35 GB of game data again. Maybe something got corrupted during the installation!

JRD

After 48 hours I received an email from Rockstar support (a guy named Steve!  ???? ) with some instructions to set game launch option to DX9, which I'd find quite annoying as my GPU can handle DX11 and that's one reason why I bought Max Payne 3 in the first place.

Before that I deleted all local content and re downloaded the game again... same issue!

Anyway, it didn't w@&k either  :D ... actually it went as far as the second screen, where it froze again! :D  :angry-new:

I managed to exchange a few emails in a row with Steve but all seemed a bit standard procedure to find a workaround to my issue.

For the second time I was asked to send a configuration file describing my PC info, which I did... only to receive a third request to send, again, the same files... which I also did, for the thrid time!

Since last night no reply from Steve  :angry-new:

Tags:
🡱 🡳