movie recommendations

Started by spaceboy, May 19, 2009, 10:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Quote from: Jim di Griz on November 09, 2012, 11:33:39 AM
Oh looky - okay the film isn't actually out yet but based on Mr Pitt's recent performances and on this trailer, I'm going to go all out and recommend it now.

World War Z - Official Trailer (HD)

I'll let you folks know what it's like on release.

Zombie apocalypse strikes again?

Me like it!  :-X

I still have to watch the new Resident Evil... big fan of the movies here. I only played RD up to RE3 and then the game lost it's appeal to me... maybe due to it's non open world nature. I might get back to one of them eventually.

Thanks for the heads up Jim  :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Fiach

JRD, I am a big Resi fan and love the movies, the current one is a heap of shite, I doubt if you will like it, basically its a retread of all the previous movies.

Spoiler
Apparently the previous movies were computerised "what if" scenarios populated by "clones", not actual people. They use this as an excuse to traverse the CGI sets of the previous movies, so it was cheap as chips to make I guess.
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

JRD

That sounds like crap indeed!  ????

A lame excuse not to go on with the devastated earth plot. There were so many scenarios they could've chosen like "defend the last human fortress" or "there might be a cure but it is hidden in an zombie infested facility" or "Alice in zombieland"...  :-\\

Anyway... I'll check it... it's always nice to see Mila Jovovic splattering zombie's brains all over the place ;D

Fiach

Quote from: JRD on November 10, 2012, 06:45:07 AM

Anyway... I'll check it... it's always nice to see Mila Jovovic splattering zombie's brains all over the place ;D

Pffft...its not like anybody watches them for the acting ot writing quality :)

Check out The Underworld movie series if you havent already, I like them, also Ultraviolet (movie not TV series), is a very good action movie.

JRD

Don't like that Underworld franchise (I do like Kate Backinsale though  8) ) and all that vampires versus lycans thing...

I saw Ultraviolet but didn't like it either... Mila is gorgeous but I got tired of seeing her doing her supermodel walk, her supermodel look, her supermodel superkick and all after like 10 minutes into the movie.

The RE series is great though... she pulls all her supermodel s#!t over and over but I don't know... maybe is the videogame background that makes me like it better  ;D

Fiach

Started reading the WWZ book, its pretty good.

JRD

Saw Battleship yesterday. Great effects but I agree with fragger: too much gung-ho, over the top with a very poor storyline. Why are they here again? ???? . Characters are just too predictable and all the naval warfare, specially when they do a handbrake turn by dropping the anchor..... ouch!  ????

Couldn't help but to compare it with another recent alien invasion movie, Battle: Los Angeles where a bunch of aliens get their a$$ kicked by a drill sargeant and his squad. Great action, great effects and good storyline. It is told from a personal perspective so what you know is what the squad knows and there's little information but you figure everything out. It features Michelle Rodrigues though... big let down on the movie (hate her....  :D )

Jim di Griz

My pleasure folks.

I'd heard that the book was a good one alright - it was on sale everywhere in Falmouth during the summer before last, as a few scenes from the film were shot there (out at sea mostly.) Still haven't started it though.

EDIT: I actually liked Battle: Los Angeles precisely because it was shot from the perspective of troops on the ground with no intel as to what was happening further out. Aren't all military characters gung-ho? I thought it was a part of their training  ;)
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

PZ

Soldier

A great movie; I appreciate the absolutism of the soldier's discipline.  The music is by Loreena McKennitt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86bt6D_UFKI#ws
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCjxZHGHL4Y#ws

PZ

Long, Long, Trailer

with Lucy and Desi - if you like RV-ing, you'll love this movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrQMsGjrwiA#ws

PZ

PZ

PZ

Jim di Griz

13 Assassins is a film we've had sitting there for a while but haven't got around to watching. If I had known it was a Takasha Miike film (Ichi the Killer) I would have done it sooner.

The film is set at the end of the feudal era in Japan (in 1844) and is very classically japanese in style, about twelve samurai and a woodsman who take it upon themselves to assassinate a cruel warlord en route to Edo, where he would be under the protection of the Shogun and so become too powerful to stop.

If you like a good Samurai film then this one is it - starting with ritual hara-kiri it builds toward a forty minute frantic battle where the thirteen battle through two hundred Samurai to kill the warlord. Okay, the first part is a bit confusing as we get about twenty five major characters paraded before us in quick succession. Once it gets going though, it is very atmospheric and a solid depiction of what life must have been like for all of the people involved.

13 Assassins (2011) - Official Trailer [HD]

Oh, and the guy who plays the 13th, the woodsman is brilliant!
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer  - Major Holdridge

JRD

???

Perfect setting for an Assassins Creed game!  :-()

PZ

Jim di Griz

:laugh: I hadn't thought of that - good idea  :-X

Art Blade

Excellent recommendation, Jim  :-() :-X

In case you haven't come across Zatoichi by and with Takeshi Kitano, you should  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

Grew up and still is a Elvis fan, have all his movies locked up in a safe place.
Now I just gave my age away... :-D

Fiach

Quote from: nexor on November 26, 2012, 02:10:53 AM
locked up in a safe place.

Is that so you dont have to watch them again? :)

I like Elvis alot and I think he was under-rated as an actor because of the shite movies they stuck him in.

Flaming Star and King Creole were very good performances and Jailhouse Rock was just so "on the nail" for the time, another cracker of a movie.

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

No, so nobody can lay their grubby paws on them  :-D

PZ

Jim di Griz

Quote from: Art Blade on November 21, 2012, 10:56:28 AM
...In case you haven't come across Zatoichi by and with Takeshi Kitano, you should  :-()
Zatoichi is an excellent film, another bit of excellent taste on your own part  :-X

Art Blade

cheers, mate  :-D I guess we'd enjoy about 80% or more of each other's video collection :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳