The barge mission - **spoilers**

Started by PZ, May 16, 2009, 08:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I did the barge mission this morning, but did so with a different twist.  I used the front GL and carpeted the far shore with grenades - hardly took any hits.  So far, this is my typical way lately.  Here's the twist.  After I went to town and talked with the doc and then received the call to help the barge skipper at the marina, I took the bus to the southeast bus stop.  Formerly, I had always taken a boat across Lake Segolo  to enter the marina area head first.  This time however, I went in via road from the bus stop and came upon the mercs from behind - surprised the heck out of them, and easily finished them off.

Even though I've done this mission many times before, the new twist added a new dimension to playing the game, yet another way to extend the game play value.

JRD

I never thought of taking the boat to the marina.. I always take the bus, get the datsun (shot the datsun driver  ;D) and drive to the marina.
My strategy is: instead of driving all the way down, I park the car up the road, where you have those rocks right above Mike's and the armory.
Snipe the guys far from you, toss a few grenades and molotovs from above to finish those near Mike's.
Ta-da... walk down the hill and finish the left overs... piece of cake ;)

Will try your approach on my next playthrough... it's really cool to have the opportunity to exchange strategies on OWG...  :-X
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Yeah, really cool - that's why I like to read other members posts on how they approach the missions, because it is quite often diametrically opposed to what I've tried.  Thanks for the sniping tip - will try that one the next time!  In fact, I might bring up a prior save so I can try it now.

spaceboy

I always take a boat on that part - I think it was the sense of urgency in the game.  The bus ride has the reload screens and normally a change in day/night which seems kind of rude to the barge skipper to take a leisurely bus ride when he's under fire

You know, all those stops along the way letting mercs on and off.  "come on, come on, just  sit down already so I get Frank some help.  Oh great, unbelievable, this guy doesn't have exact change...Dammit!"
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

hahah  ;D nice topic. And fun to read what you wrote so far  :-X

The first through I was so busy and stressed to get out of town it completely escaped me there was a boat I could take. So I went in with that Liberty, already added some stress with patrols and Datsuns to my mood... when I finally arrived at marina, I stopped my car close to the main road (I didn't know the layout) and snuck up and around the rocks above Mike's, shooting from there with my crap weapons. Took ages to get the job done, because the mercs went up the road to find me, and I kept hiding and picking them out one by one. When I got to the barge, I remember there was a guy in the water that I couldn't see, something kept hitting me. Had to clense the area with the barge's GL.

The 2nd I went in on a swamp boat and tried to shoot them from far, swam to the barge, and climbed on board, fighting my way to my best buddy. Was quite heavy s#!t too :)

The 3rd time was chillaxed... Went to an arms dealer first, got me good gear and took out the ba$t@rd mercs cold-blooded  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Ricamundo

Yep, i've always gone in by the back road, and shot em up from the rocks behind the gun shop too.

I'll tell ya where the water way really seems to w@&k well, is that buddy mish where you have to blow up a truck full of ammo in back of "Private Property" down by the docks. You can do it right from the boat with the 50 cal, and a dart or 3. Come to think of it, any mish involving Private Property might be easier from the docks.

Oh, and i swear i didn't know there was a GL at the front of that ^%&^$%#@!! barge. Item # 2 i just found out was that when you have to escape from the Doctor's office after the barge mish, there's a hole in the fence near the back door. I just noticed it this time thru. ???
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Art Blade

the GL & hole thingy slaps a smile on my face :) It's the good thing about multiple play-throughs... better or simply different each time :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

That's pretty good, I never thought of taking the bus to the marina, always took a boat, don't know why now at this point.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Foghorn Leghorn

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on May 16, 2009, 04:26:29 PM
That's pretty good, I never thought of taking the bus to the marina, always took a boat, don't know why now at this point.

Me too.  The bus way seems much better, now that I think of it.  A couple of IEDs attached to the Datsun, sending it flying into the middle, and then....BANG!!!   8)

PZ

That's a good idea, the downhill run into the marina allows the car to really pick up some speed - hop out and the car will keep careening into the area - detonate and that's all she wrote.

Art Blade

indeed a good idea... might try that the next time through  ;D

JRD

Please, guys... make sure you have it recorded somehow  ;D

Art Blade

Ok, I think I have a tape recorder around here somewhere...

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on May 20, 2009, 02:45:46 PM

Use VHS if you prefer... wise guy  ;D ;D ;D

Art Blade

Quote from: JRD on May 20, 2009, 03:06:40 PMwise guy  ;D ;D ;D

I think you called me that once before  ;D ;D ;D (I remember, you asked me "please tell me it's not true" LOL)

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on May 20, 2009, 02:45:46 PM

Wow, that's new school - I was thinking of 8 mm film... imagine it, a tripod, your PC, the movie camera clicking away...  develop the film, have it transferred to VHS, then to DVD and then rip it using DVDFab... easy as pie...

Art Blade

some people... some people...  ;D ;D ;D

PZ

;D ;D ;D ;D

You know, part of the fun of checking threads is that you never know what you'll find, but you can be relatively confident that you'll find something either funny, helpful, or entertaining!   :-X

Art Blade

you can bet on it that I'm hanging around like a vulture waiting for JRD (or you) to slip in remarks that have potential... like "please tell me it's not true"  ;D ;D ;D Oh, and spaceboy is a good guy for that too  ;) ;D ;D I remember we were driving cars, someone piloted boars, and he drove nuts.  :-X

PZ

hahaha, yeah, I remember that one - good laugh because several animals entered into that discussion!

spaceboy

I think I said the only driving in Red Dead Redemption would be on horses....that was funny, esp since I hadn't yet read PZ's post.  Funny stuff guys. Funny stuff
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Art Blade

haha, yeah driving horses, and later nuts.  ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳