PS3 info...

Started by PZ, May 16, 2009, 07:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Hey guys,
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but here is some information that was news to me because I was only recently able to connect my PS3 to the Internet:

• I was able to get free the machetes by clicking "Additional content" from the FC2 menu and linking my Ubi account with the Playstation account.
  • The Internet browser in the PS3 actually let me connect to openworldgames.org (or any other Internet site) - until now, I was unaware that there is a full-featured browser built into the PS3.  All of the menus w@&k and you can even play the YouTubes.
Here are a couple of questions:

• While you can use the PS3 controller to navigate the browser, it is cumbersome - has anyone successfully connected a wireless keyboard/mouse?
  • What is Playstation Home?  I went to it, and there is some kind of apartment you start in and you can download different maps, FC2 being one of them.  It looks like there are other individuals logged in that you can interact with.

spaceboy

Hey PZ, thanks for the info.

• I did not know about the machete trick with linking the accounts - excellent tip.
  • I've done some browsing with the PS3 but not too much - navigation being a pain without a keyboard and mouse
  • As for a keyboard and mouse, I did try to buy a really cheap usb keyboard - it didn't w@&k, but I didn't exactly troubleshoot.  I've been close to buying a nice keyboard and mouse (logitech has a few "specifically for the ps3" ) but haven't been able to get myself to fork over the cash
  • Playstation Home is essentially a social networking site - again without keyboard and mouse the typing to converse is really quite painful.  The FC2 area is a modified and larger bus stop - it looks great but nobody there seemed to be talking about FC2...
Hey now that you're online with PS3, we should try an MP match together.  Add me as a friend "spaceboy21" it's on the right hand side of the XMB.  We can go into a FC2 match together.

http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

That's a great idea - the only difficult thing will be in scheduling concurrent times online!  I'll see if I can find the screen where I can add you.

Foghorn Leghorn

I think Future Shop has a mouse and keypad hookup for PS3 for playing games like FarCry 2 - I think it's about $59.99 or so.  I'm not sure if it works for surfing though....

spaceboy

Thanks Foghorn, I think that sounds like the FragFX, but maybe it's different.  I'll have to check it out.
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Foghorn Leghorn

Yes, I believe you're correct, spaceboy.  That name rings a bell.

PZ

Thanks for the info - there is evidently a v.2 version of FragFx - found it at Amazon for $79 - anyone know if this is any good?  The mouse is supposed to give a PC-like experience - has the PS3 buttons built into the side of the mouse - looks like it might be tons better than the standard PS3 controller if it really handles like the mouse on the PC.

PZ

I just discovered a set of drivers that will allow you to use your Sixaxis/Dual Shock PS3 controller with your PC.  There is also a tray applet that allows you to configure rumble.

I'm going to try the trick that I think DKM2 mentioned - using a console-type controller plus the mouse.  Hopefully I can use the Sixaxis for steering in my left hand and mouse in my right for the best of both worlds.  I'll try this evening and report back.

If you're interested in the story, click this link.

[WOT reports the site as trustworthy, and I checked the downloaded drivers for viruses - all good so far]

Tags:
🡱 🡳