Merc movies

Started by Fiach, May 06, 2009, 03:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fiach

Can anyone think of or recommend any merc movies?

The only ones I can think of, off the top of my head are :

Wild Geese
Code Name: Wild Geese
Blood Diamonds

I suppose you could include The Magnificant Seven or Seven Samurai as merc movies, but I was thinking Africa themed, or maybe South America with its jungle environments.

Anyone got thoughts on this?
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

JRD

Not a merc movie, rather an arms dealer movie.

Lord of War, with Nicholas Cage....... I took afew lines from that movie on the "Post a line" thread in Off Topic

A good movie, you should try if you haven't seen it yet.
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Blood diamonds is the closest to FC2, and in fact I read somewhere that one was the inspiration for the other.  There is a great sniper movie, but I just can't recall the name right now - will come to me as soon as I get off the PC, I imagine...

JRD

Quote from: PZ on May 06, 2009, 04:49:49 PM
Blood diamonds is the closest to FC2, and in fact I read somewhere that one was the inspiration for the other.  There is a great sniper movie, but I just can't recall the name right now - will come to me as soon as I get off the PC, I imagine...

There is a great sniper movie with Jude Law... he plays a russian sniper, I believe, and the germans has his nemesis.....

....."Enemy at the Gates".... just remembered the name... an excellent war movie... sniper vs sniper..... I'm pretty sure that's the name.....
... PZ??
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

I finally remembered it - "Shooter" with Mark Wahlberg.  In it, he plays a military sniper that becomes disenchanted with the system and retires.  The government suckers him into returning for a mission to protect the President. Unfortunately it was a set-up intended to make Mark the fall guy.  It is a great tale of retribution - every bad guy gets taken out in the end, even the corrupt senator.  I recall one scene where a bad guy was holding a gun to a girls head and was threatening to kill her.  The sniper was so far away you couldn't see him - shot the bad guy's trigger finger off.  The bad guy just looked at the remaining stump and laughed in disbelief...

spaceboy

Oh yeah, I did like Shooter a lot.  Thanks for reminding me of it.  As for jungle merc stories (not Africa though).  I know it's cliche and all but the last Rambo movie that came out last year I think, was quite enjoyable.  The rivers and boats all felt Far Cry 2ish.  If you don't like Stallone you won't like it but I do and the movie looked and sounded great on blu-ray baby!
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

Fiach

Yes I saw both of those sniper movies and really enjoyed them. The new Rambo seemed like a pointless movie to be honest, I liked 1 and 2 alot though, I guess it had a lot to live up to.

Yeah seems like not alot of proper merc movies, Dogs of War just occured to me now.

I remember reading a few books back in the 80's covering conflicts like Angola, Rhodesia etc.

Col Mike Hoare was quite a famous merc back then, linky for those interested :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Hoare
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

DKM2

Should add Apocalypse Now to the list,
The only movie I know that is Heart of Darkness themed.

Edit:
Free ebook for anyone that's interested.
Heart of Darkness
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/219
"A living thing seeks above all to discharge its strength--life itself is will to power..."

Art Blade

There are a few films that I think are cool but I'm not so sure I'd call those "merc" films.

QuoteA mercenary is a person who takes part in an armed conflict, who is not a national or a party to the conflict, and is "motivated to take part in the hostilities essentially by the desire for private gain and, in fact, is promised, by or on behalf of a party to the conflict, material compensation substantially in excess of that promised or paid to combatants of similar ranks and functions in the armed forces of that Party"
ref: wiki

What do you think of

- Ronin (Robert DeNiro) he is a merc among mercs
- Die Hard 2 (Bruce Willis) he fights mercs
- The Chronicles of Riddick (Vin Diesel) he's hunted by mercs
- Babylon A.D. (Vin Diesel) he's a veteran merc

Arms dealing and covert ops, "the enterprise" everything you don't think happens in real life...
- The Secret Government: The Constitution in Crisis

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3505348655137118430

here you get a 1:28hrs stream docu :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

RedRaven

Ronin is a quality film, but is Deniro really a merc in it?
he appears to be, but i get the impression he is still in what-ever secret service he serves, and is hunting a specific target posing as a merc and using the other mercs to acheive his goals. could be wrong, but a few scenes hint at/reveal his connections. Also whislt not true mercs the characters in Munich operate in a merc fashion, good film but a bit grim in places. Blood Diamonds is defo closest to FC2, and Shooter is a great inspiration to those who prefer sniping to close assault (even uses I.E.D`s in it) Enemy at the gates is also good, despite Jude Law in main role (imo he couldnt act his way out of a wet paper bag)
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Tags:
🡱 🡳