end of game thoughts

Started by rick2468, May 03, 2009, 12:14:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rick2468

I have now completed the game.  Thank you again for your help on this forum.  I did the two extra buddy missions so I ended up with 42/40 side missions and thankfully this did not lead to any bugs!  From my experience you have to kill one of your buddies in order to unlock the full number of buddy side missions.

The end game was brilliant.  I am not sure whether to recommend this game to friends though because so much of the game involves disjointed missions that do not proceed the story. I think a few cut scenes along the way would have made for a better story.  I felt no connection with the characters at all except for the Jackal who rarely made an appearance.

SPOILER ALERT

It was a cool ending to see the people crossing the border but where were these people during the game?  I visited several villages etc along the way and all I saw were mercs with guns!  It seemed to me that the civilians had already deserted the country before I'd got there.  I think a few civilians would have made for a more vibrant atmosphere throughout the game.  I did not get why there were cease-fire zones when there were no civilians in those places anyway :-D.

A lot of the missions were too similar.  Mainly evolving around visiting a place, wiping out a few enemies and retrieving an item or killing someone. 

I also got tired of driving around everywhere.  The vehicles don't seem to go above second gear and the music was repetitive.  In GTA IV driving around can be fun with the different music available.  The various guard points were annoying, it would have been good if you could blow up a guard point so once you had cleared it you would not have to fight through it another time.

On the plus side the landscape was stunning.  I spent a summer in Botswana a few years ago and although no computer game could ever compare to the real thing this game still managed to trigger a few memories.

I also liked the weapons, changing your weapons periodically made the gameplay feel different.

I am sorry that this review is a bit negative.  Overall I think this is a good framework for an exceptional game but just lacked a few extra bits and pieces.

It has been great to talk to people on an internet forum without the exchange of insults (although I am testing the insult level with my review :-D ).  Take care guys and keep up the good w@&k.

Rick

Art Blade

Bye-bye Rick, come back for the other games on this site :)

In general it was completely understandable what you said. I agree completely regarding the storyline and everything else. Nice of you to share your point of view, and for staying with us for the time being :)

A few remarks, though. This forum showed me that there is more to the game (what you make of it) and a community to share the fun with. Thank Ubi & Co for leaving the mercs in the game. I've never toasted more mercs anywhere else, oh and Datsun Dummies... Plus I'm glad I don't need to listen to the game music ("off"). Instead I listen to "me fave choons" ;D

Maybe, if you don't sell the game, you'll miss the desert and return to chasing your favourite guard post mercs down :) Until then, cya m8
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

rick2468

Thanks mate.  I like to think I am imaginative enough to make my own story but it didn't happen in this case.  The more I think back on this game the more I think it should have been much much better.

A major problem is that you play the game to save the people of the country but you don't see these people until the last scene.  How can you connect with them and realise the problem if they aren't even there to be seen?

When I played through GTA IV I really got to know the characters.  When I got to the part in GTA when you had to choose whether to kill the man who betrayed you during war time or let him live I was paused by my controller for five minutes deciding whether to kill him or not.  I was amazed about how much I thought about it even though it was just a game.  In GTA IV they developed the story for you as you played so you always knew what you were working towards. In FC2 I never felt I was trying to reach a long term goal.

The buddy system doesn't add to anything.  The buddies give you a mission and say "Hey I want this and that" and just sit on their butts and let you go and do the shooting for them even though they are supposed mercs themselves.

Art Blade

I know that feeling. I remember games where you did relate very much with characters. I know those 5 minutes thinking do I or don't I kill that character. A few games spring to mind, Oblivion and MassEffect. Maybe Kane&Lynch too.

I think the people here, including myself, have accepted the circumstances and decided to concentrate on what is not plot, and make their own story. "Immersion" is a keyword, regarding the small details as more important than the big storyline. Since I do that, the game has become something different and very much likeable :)

However, I do agree with everything you say. Maybe you find a new game where you can enjoy yourself a little more. And thanks for coming back :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

Rick2468, we're glad we were able to help you enjoy the game enough to complete it.  Your comments are really spot on, but Art says it best that we've turned some of the negatives into positives for us.

Your comments on GTA IV are interesting to me.  I never was interested to play because I thought it was just a "gang" shoot em up.  I may need to re-look at it based on your positive comments.  --Never mind that I was a big fan of the 2 Getaway games - I guess British gangs just seemed classier to me  ;)

But to echo Art again, please come back if you're interested in any of the new games we'll be supporting on the front page and if not check back periodically as we hope to continue our growth in the future.

Best of luck, and thanks again for visiting and chatting.  :-X
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

PZ

From your comments, I can see that our primary mission has been fulfilled; to foster the enjoyment of the game despite some negative aspects - Art summarized my personal philosophy of FC2 quite well: "I think the people here, including myself, have accepted the circumstances and decided to concentrate on what is not plot, and make their own story...".

...and I have to echo spaceboy's sentiment for you to return should you ever desire the positive camaraderie of the fine folks that frequent the forum.

Fare well in your future games!

rick2468

Thanks guys.  I hold the utmost respect for this forum it's been good to talk about a game.  I normally don't message on forums due to the immature comments you tend to get but this forum has been great.  I shall check it out in future.

Games I have on my list to play next are Drake's Fortune (really good fun so far), Bioshock, Killzone 2 and Fallout 3.

SpaceBoy.  I definitely recommend GTA IV.  The part I mentioned before was great.  Normally when I play a game and am faced with a decision I consult an FAQ to see what decision will unlock the most side-missions in future.  In the GTA IV game you are suddenly faced with your ultimate enemy and have to make a decision on his fate.  At that point I didn't look at any FAQs I just sat and thought about it for a while.  I play a lot of games and it's the first time I've actually cared about what happens to the characters rather than trying to unlock the most features.  If you decide to play it let me know how it goes.

FC2 was fun for shooting things but I found myself just ticking off the number of missions I had to do.  Each sitting I had I just thought "How much more can I complete now?" rather than "I want to see what happens to so and so".

spaceboy

Sounds good rick, I see you mention Killzone2 which must mean you've got a PS3.  My PSN id is spaceboy21 if you want to add me.  I just downloaded the 2 DLC maps for KZ2 and I like them alot.  Also for PS3, you may want to check out our inFamous board here.  Not sure if you're into it but it's looking good and I'm hoping to get the same type of quality members to post and share about the game. 

Cerpin Daiyokai

One thing that has greatly increased my enjoyment of this game (along with other games) is to turn the music OFF. While I do enjoy the music, I don't think it benefits this game in the least. On the contrary, it detracts, because you can't hear the ambience with the music going.

spaceboy

great point Cerpin, someone had made that suggestion to me as a way to increase your immersion in game and it really does help.

Art Blade

game music is off. only sometimes, wile driving or in the armoury for example, I switch on my mp3 player (accessible through my G15 keyboard). That is relaxing at times :)

Cerpin Daiyokai

I first started turning music off with Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.  :) Some games just don't need music.

Tags:
🡱 🡳