PC control keys...

Started by PZ, May 01, 2009, 08:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Does anyone know which key to press to make the headlights turn off?  I have it worked out on the PS3, but not the PC.  Here are a couple of differences between the two systems that I've noticed so far:

• Easier to look right and left on the PC - left mouse-look left, right mouse-look right, both mouse buttons-look directly behind
  • PS3 driving is a bit smoother.

JRD

The "G" spot.....  ;D

But seriously... aiming is much better with a mouse, driving is much better with a console joystick.... I keep it in mind when buying a racing game or a FPS game
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

PZ

Thanks JRD,
I knew that someone would have an answer before too long (took less than a minute).  Also, the advice about console vs PC and FPS vs driving game is greatly appreciated...

... and I completely agree (forgot to mention) about the aiming with the mouse.  There is no comparison at all - the PC is light years ahead of the console in the aiming aspect.  On the PC it is crisp and precise.  On the PS3 aiming is like swinging your weapon around in molasses, i.e., the aiming either goes too fast or too slow.

Art Blade

PZ, you can change the key for headlights. In game, go to Main Menu>Options>Controls>Vehicles and there you see what your current layout is and change it :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Art Blade

Just thinking, since you're new to PC gaming, maybe you haven't thought about how to reassign the entire keybord so it suits you best. Most of the computer games nowadays allow you to do that.

Just for your information (not recommendation) here is how I have set mine

Keyboard
"WSAD" directions (walk,drive)  [often choice setup]
Q headlights/toggle handgren-molotov
E exit vehicle or mounted gun
F interact,change seat (doors, talk to, use mounted gun,...)
G hand grenade/molotov
H heal self
TAB map
3 special weapon
left-shift sprint*
left-ctrl crouch*
space jump, hand brake

* if you press lshift with your fingertip to run, then press left-ctrl with the rest of the finger (2 keys at the time with one finger) you easily perform a glide move that ends in a crouch.

Mouse
LMB fire
RMB iron sights
MMB primary weap
(MWheel scrolls weapons)

Thumb side, two mouse buttons in line: one towards back, one to front:
"back" secondary weapon
"front" reload/change map
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

I always redefine the keys first thing after installing a game. For instance, I don't use WASD, I use QWAZ for some reason. Don't really know why, but I've gotten so used to it by now that I can't change.

Driving is a bit wonky with the "all or nothing" aspect of the keyboard. When I was playing Driver 3 I used a game pad to drive and switched to the mouse/keyboard when doing the on foot stuff in first person. Worked well, but I never tried a gamepad with FC2, since the driving isn't as critical as it was in Driver 3.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Thanks Art, for the keyboard layout - gives me ideas how to restructure mine.  the keyboard I have is the Logitech G15, and it seems to do quite a bit, although I must confess that I've hardly looked at it yet.

Thanks D_B for your input as well; I tried the gamepad with FC2, and it still is all-or-none like the keys, unless I've misconfigured the darned thing.

Art Blade

you don't need to program any keys for FC2. The G15 is fantastic for other games where you have to do a lot of "typing" :)

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: PZ on May 04, 2009, 10:56:40 AM
Thanks D_B for your input as well; I tried the gamepad with FC2, and it still is all-or-none like the keys, unless I've misconfigured the darned thing.

Could be your game pad, some are analog (smooth) some are digital (all or nothing) and some are a combination. My old favorite MS Sidewinders are digital, the game has to decide what to do with the input. With those, it wouldn't be any different in FC2 than the keyboard. But my Gravis Ultra something or other has two analog sticks that w@&k well as long as the game itself understands the input.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Good to know - thanks for that info - now I can check a little further.  I sure would like to use the gamepad for driving and the mouse for aiming.

Tags:
🡱 🡳