Nvidia formally announces GTX 1000-series GPUs

Started by OWGKID, May 09, 2016, 05:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OWGKID

Nvidia's CEO announced the GTX 1000 GPUs (feat. the GTX 1080) at Dreamhack, Austin, Texas on 6th May. The GTX 1080 will be available in two editions, the standard (599$) and "Founder's edition" (699$) on May 27th.

GTX 1080 specs:

• 16 nm FinFET process
  • 8 GB GDDR5X memory (10 Gbps)
  • 1600 MHz core clock @ 180 W
  • Can run at 2000 MHz with just 67 C ???
  • 2560 CUDA cores along with improved asynchronous compute capability
  • 9 TFLOPS compute capability

GeForce GTX 1080 article
LEGACY

Art Blade

now we need games that support those specs and then we need to buy one of those cards. Or two. :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

"We" !!! ???  :o

The 900 Series already cost about 7 Thousand....   :-\\

OWGKID

Aww, that's bad :-\\ Do you need a GPU upgrade Nex?
LEGACY

Binnatics

I love it when they start to talk about teraflops ^-^

That sounds just so gawd-daimn-nerdy! to me >:D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

OWGKID

LEGACY

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

OWGKID

The "Big Pascal" (likely a Titan successor will have up to 1Tb/s memory speed)  :o
LEGACY

nexor

Quote from: OWGKID7891 on May 09, 2016, 09:29:02 AM
Aww, that's bad :-\\ Do you need a GPU upgrade Nex?

Yeah, like I need a sore tooth  :-(

OWGKID

LEGACY

PZ

My 980 which felt so new, seemingly so recently, now feels like an old sock needing replacement.  8-X

Just kidding - I'll beat this one to death until a game I want comes out it can't handle.

nexor

I just checked my supplier's pricelist on the ASUS® GeForce® GTX 980 Ti GPU, and as a re-seller I pay ZAR 12 346.00 excluding 14% VAT
Re-sellers are allowed up to 20% mark-up which put's it around ZAR 17 000.00 including VAT   :o
Can you imagine what the GTX 1080 is gonna cost   ???? ????

Binnatics

Strange Nex; a good asus GTX980 Ti costs like 12400 ZAR overhere ???? (well, in euros of course but after the exchange calculations :-D)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

fragger

We're gonna get gouged again... The "standard" GTX 1080 is expected to retail for about AUD $1,000, which equates to around US $737. Why do we have to pay so much more? One word: "government". Another word: @#$%&.

I won't be in a position to inflict that level of hurt on my wallet for a while, not for a frivolous computer component that I can get by without.

Hopefully the prices won't take too long to drop. I'm still using my ageing GForce GT 545, but it actually serves me surprisingly well, considering.

nexor

That's just problem fragger, the price never drops, and it'll be out dated by the time one can afford to buy it   :o

Art Blade

"outdated" is relative. If you buy that card when you can afford it, just buy games from the same time and you'll be on top of it all.  :)

mandru

This happens every time I buy a new top of the line card.  ::)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

nexor

Mostly I try to get a card that's about midway, still affordable and can manage some high tech games.

Art Blade

this time is the first time I got a somewhat good card while it was recent (GTX980).

OWGKID

Quote from: Art Blade on May 09, 2016, 07:43:24 AM
...we need to buy one of those cards. Or two. :-D

SLI monster? Sounds great  :-D >:D
LEGACY

nexor

Don't know how cost of living in Europe would compare to South Africa Art, but a ASUS GeForce GTX 980 GPU card is priced at  ZAR 13,400.00 which is a big bite out of the pocket when the average salary is around ZAR 40,000.00 pm, specially if one has to replace it every time the devs design a new Hi-tech game
just to give you an idea, the latest cheapest 2016 Toyota Corolla 1.3 is priced at ZAR 280,000.00
and an average 3 bedroom house in a middle class neighbourhood will cost about ZAR 1,500.000

Art Blade

nexor, it's hard to come by those numbers for Germany but I found a GTX980 costs around 500€ and our average monthly net wages in 2015 were 2,225€ and that Toyota ranges at around 8,500€. Average prices for a house cannot easily be estimated as we have a wide range. For instance, I found a number for average rents per square metre of 8€ while around where I live it's more like 14€, making a 3-bedroom house (erm, are there additional living rooms or do you live in bedrooms?  :-() ) a tad hard to calculate. Let's say in a middle class area, a 3-room flat with 100m² was comparable in size to your example, we'd pay 800€ on average but here (or, "in big cities") we pay 1,400€. Those rents may vary greatly. A rule of thumb is that you should spend no more than 1/3 of your income on housing if you have a car but obviously may spend more if you don't own a car. So generally speaking, I think your numbers compare to ours except you seem to pay a hell of a lot more for that car. Around twice as much in absolute numbers (if you ignore the currency but compare the price to the average income)

I think you produced a typo regarding that house for "1,500.000" -- there is one digit too many after the decimal point. I don't think it's 1,500.00 so is it 15,000.00 more like? That's what I assume.

edit: Unless you meant buying a house, here the price for buying is 1,000 times the renting price per square metre given in my example. Which is why I rent rather than buy. If I were to buy my flat, it would mean that I would have to spend around 80 years living in it at a monthly rent of 1/1000 the price per m² I bought it for until I payed it off completely. Which is ridiculous :)

nexor

Just saw an add for a house, 3 Bedrooms, kitchen, TV Room and dining area,
the house is 238m2 and the stand 444m2, the house is inside a "secure complex"
or a cluster of which you don't own the stand Price, ZAR 1,900,000.00

Binnatics

This year they will sell the most expensive Penthouse ever in Amsterdam. Price; €25.000.000,- which would be ZAR427.292.067,29 :-D

nexor

Darn it, and I just bought a new jet!!    :-D

Tags:
🡱 🡳