Weekend cook: chicken and pastrami

Started by PZ, April 14, 2016, 04:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

The weather was so good this past weekend, it was a pleasure to be outside.  I wanted to do a packer corned beef, but this time separate point from flat.  My missus wanted to do chicken drums on the grill.

Into the pellet cooker - overlapped the thinner portions of the flat and point to help retain moisture. Pit temp was 235 degrees
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

After a few hours ... plan to take the flat into the stall, then foil and into a 235 degree oven until 203 degrees. Point stays in the pellet cooker until done

Meanwhile the missus is doing her drums - she loves Grill Grates for doing chicken. I ran out of teriyaki, so did a home marinade of hoisin, plum sauce, and red pepper flakes for a little heat.

Did part of the point (unsauced) as a kind of pastrami "burnt ends".  They were okay, but a bit too salty for the missus.  Will soak longer next time.

The flat turned out nice: smoky and salty - perfect for sandwiches, pastrami hash browns for breakfast, and many dishes that need savory meat

Hand-carved pastrami sandwich with mustard, mayo, and sharp Vermont cheddar

fragger

It all looks amazing PZ :-X What I wouldn't give for a marinated and grilled drum right now... I love those 8)

Dweller_Benthos

That does look yummy. Nice job, even if it was a bit salty.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

indeed, looks very appetising. Good job if a bit salty. :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Thanks gents - less salt next time for the wife - was just fine for me  >:D

mandru

Whoa!  Delish looking.  :o

I'll bet those burnt ends wouldn't have been too salty for me.

I wanna brush my teeth with them!  >:D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

:laugh:

If you like salt like I do, then they are not too salty at all.  However, I did want to consume a couple of glasses of fizzies an hour or so later  :angel:

fragger

:-D

I too am a fan of salty things :-()

Art Blade

I take that with a grain of salt. :-D

For many years now I barely use salt. Only for things that can't go without; for instance if you ever tried bread that lacked salt -- yuck. So, not being completely against it, occasionally I enjoy a salty snack in form of crisps or peanuts or salted popcorn but other than that, I don't like salty food or dishes that taste salty.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Tags:
🡱 🡳