No Man's Sky

Started by Dweller_Benthos, April 11, 2016, 01:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

rent it out to scientists as a greenhouse effect research site and grab government funding. :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

So mmosu, are you actually into the game or were you just playing a demo or something at the launch?

One thing I've been wondering is whether you can land anywhere on a given planet, or only in a predetermined area of it - like do you hit the "landing" key or something and it automatically takes you down to a preset area of the planet that has been created for that. If you can fly all around a planet and pick any arbitrary place on it to land in, any place at all, that would be impressive indeed.

mmosu

I'm into the full game as of 12:30 am launch day  :-X. The day-one patch took a whopping 8 min to download (it's all just math after all).
You can also land anywhere once you get your starter ship working. For example, I located an outpost and cave system with better resources within walking distance of the place I started from. Once I got my ship repaired, I flew it over to that location and landed it there, creating a more advantageous base of operations (ship, shelter, and mining all within short walking distance). I will be leaving this planet soon, but I first wanted to get stocked up on plutonium, which I can use to power my current equipment. No warp fuel yet though, so I won't be leaving this solar system just yet.

OWGKID

Cool! Well, I haven't been following this topic that much and it looks like you guys are excited about this game.

The only thing that seems to be dissapointing is the lack of player vs player interaction. This feature was not/never properly announced and people expected that  8-X I guess the hype train ruined it... Personally, I haven't shown any interest in this game ;)

mmosu, I hope you can reach the end of the map and tell us what space looks like outside from space!  8)
LEGACY

fragger

Thanks mmosu, that's awesome :-X And thanks for your restraint :) Very thoughtful of you to not go waxing lyrical before the rest of us get a look-see. Especially we poor easternmost antipodeans :-() We may be ahead in the time zones but paradoxically we always seem to lag behind in the release date zones...

OWGKID, nobody will ever reach the end of the map, or rather get to see it all, because the map is genuinely galactic in scale. Nobody will ever even come close. Some players may eventually reach the centre of the game's galaxy, but nobody will ever map the whole thing. Someone worked out that even if you discovered a hundred new planets every ten minutes, it would take you well over a million years - of real time - to visit them all. There is an estimated 18 quintillion (18,000,000,000,000,000,000) planets in the game. I don't know if there is any percentage of those that are gas giants and therefore not land-on-able. I haven't heard any mention of that, but I get the impression that it's a gas giant-free galaxy. Unless of course there are gas giants with moons that you can land on, which may be the case.

As far as multiplayer goes, I think the devs have made it pretty clear all along that it's not a multiplayer game in the usual sense. Everybody will be in the same game world, or rather galaxy, but it's so vast that even if there were several million gamers online at once it's highly unlikely that one player will ever encounter another. Some people can't seem to get their heads around that, and if they expect to be interacting with their online friends on a regular basis then they haven't been paying enough attention to what the devs have been telling them.

There is a single player mode, but due to the immense scale of the thing, there will be little or no difference between multiplayer and single player modes.

OWGKID

Well, it is possible to do that that in Minecraft and the world became distorted when you crossed 12 550 821 X/Z value as seen here. Minecraft is ofc much smaller than NMS ;)

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I guess if someone manages to make a trainer on NMS PC, that teleports you around, the world boundary could be at 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 meters/light-years ??? Being a 64-bit game (and 64-bit integers stops at this number)  the world probably stops regenerating beyond this point.
LEGACY

mmosu

Cheers guys  :-X
I'm actually still on my starting planet - my eight year old made me promise to not leave until she could be there to see it, she wants to be there the first time we fly into space  ;)
In the meantime, I've upgraded my multi tool, repaired all the major failed systems on my ship, and have amassed ~800,000 in credits (which apparently isn't that much, I hear ships cost millions).

Art Blade

I watched a few minutes of several YT vids of PS4 people who already got the game just to see what the start looks like.

And I thought to myself..

..what the hell..

and (still) pre-ordered it just now.  :-D

Fragger, on steam it reads, "The worldwide release date will be August 12th in all countries. "

Maybe not in Oz as it always has been part of a different dimension of time and space... 8-X
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

OWGKID

Oh nice :) Going to my friend tomorrow and give it a try. Hopefully, I may get convinced to buy it ;)

Apparently, flying through a black hole crashes the game on PS4  :laugh:
LEGACY

fragger

Quote from: Art Blade on August 11, 2016, 08:09:54 AM
Maybe not in Oz as it always has been part of a different dimension of time and space... 8-X

:-D We're just "special"...

Just checked on Steam, still says 13th.

I'm guessing that the 12th is the daytime release date wherever Steam is based in the U.S., which will translate as the 13th here because there's an average of about 14-15 hours between U.S. time and ours. I say average because both countries span several time zones. Perth and New York are closer together in time than San Francisco and Sydney are (12 hours vs 17 hours).

So it should be the same release time for us all.

fragger

Quote from: OWGKID7891 on August 11, 2016, 09:05:52 AM
Apparently, flying through a black hole crashes the game on PS4  :laugh:

:laugh:

There's got to be a snide joke there somewhere but I'm too tired to think of one :-()

Art Blade

^-^

there's one more reason why I wanted to get the game: to be part of one massive OWG movement. There hasn't been a game in a long time with that many of us starting out at the same time. :-X :)

fragger

Me too, I'm hoping it becomes a bit of a reuniting thing here. Not that we've fragmented as a group, but I miss when we were all enthusing about the same game - the one that brought us together in the first place.

Of course, it could turn out to be a massive fizzer that we'll all be bored with in a week. We won't know until we know, although mmosu has gotten a bit of a head start on us :-() Considerately. he's remaining nebulous about it (nyuk nyuk) until we all get to have a go.

mmosu

Oh, and it's killing me!  :'(
I've been on 3 planets so far, the second of which was a lifeless rock with a negligible atmosphere but abundant minerals. The clear, gasless sky however, gave me a clear view of my next conquest, which turned out to be a frigid snow planet with vast pine forests and strange "birds" with insect-like heads. One thing that's been very cool is seeing how pulse jumps (an engine power level in between "boost" and "warp") can shrink a flight that would take several hours under normal propulsion down to about 30 seconds  :-X.

fragger

Well, you won't have to hold back much longer, mate. About three hours from now and at least one more of us will be moving to the pad 8)

We'll see how it goes. I know it's "only" a 6Gb download, but there'll possibly be so many people trying to download around the same time that it might take longer than expected. Or maybe not, I believe Steam has a pretty hefty server system.

I'm glad I'm not still with that crummy ISP I used to be with or I'd be waiting another week for it to download :-\\

It'll be around 3:00am my time and it's midnight now, so I'm going to make some industrial-strength coffee and wait up for it. I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve, too excited to sleep :-()

Art Blade

downloading.

ONLY 2.5 GB  ??? :laugh: just some 8 minutes download time. 5.9GB download speed.. works..

word of the wise: don't STAY on steam if it hasn't got the download option. Instead, exit and rejoin - until eventually you'll see the download button.

Art Blade

GOING TO START IT UP!!  ^-^

Art Blade

yesss  :-()
[smg id=8898 type=preview align=center caption="I'm in"]

fragger

Just downloaded, only took about ten minutes.

Going in...

Art Blade

hehe fragger, that was probably the fastest ever download of a whole up-to-date game for you  :-D

While I was composing my last post and uploading my screenshot, I had my game alt-tabbed out in the background. I couldn't get back into it so I had to quit it from the desktop and I started over. That sent me to a new world to start over as I hadn't created a restore point yet.

Getting in and out of the ship creates such a restore point.

OK.. this time I renamed the planed before uploading to "second chance" and got 2k units for it. The first time I had 5k so I checked uploading the (star) system and got 5k on top but I should have renamed that first.. now it's the generic name. Well, what the heck, it's not as if anyone would actually go looking for it anyway  :-()

I changed some of the graphics settings and that caused the stupid and well-known message.. "for the changes to take effect, the game needs a restart" or some such. Damn. Out again but I did create a restore point first.

One thing I noticed that I found annoying: the mouse pointer doesn't seem to stay on fields on the menu that I want to check, it drifts around. I then used my XBOX controller and oh wonder, it stayed on those fields. I also had to invert the controls (hate to pull towards me and look down.. I need flight control settings as in Pull = Up hehe)

OK, going in again.

fragger

No launch for me.

Can't get past the title screen. That comes up, then it winks out and goes back to desktop. Steam says "Ready to play" in the library, so it's not updating or anything.

Tried twice, no joy. Cold-booted and tried, still no joy. Tried launching from desktop icon and from Steam, no luck either way. When launching from Steam, after the title screen winks out I see "Running" in the library for a couple of seconds, followed by a subliminal flash of a word that looks like "Synching", then it goes back to saying "Ready to play".

Tried both online and offline launch, no luck either way.

(sigh) I don't feel like fucking around with it at this hour. Going to bed and try to get it sorted tomorrow, maybe see if anyone else is having this prob.

Art Blade

it needs a 64-bit OS.. do you have one? I suppose you do.

Well, maybe it's the "online" thingy.. were you online or offline?

Whatever it is, it's damn annoying you can't play it and don't get a proper message why it doesn't w@&k. Good luck, mate

mmosu

Yeah, not sure what to say about that. I definitely doesn't appear to need a persistent Internet connection to play. Hope you get it figured out fragger  :(

I actually made it to a nearby space station and upgraded my ship to one with more cargo space. Here's a tip - try to keep a full stack of plutonium and thamium-9 both on your person and in your ship. With those resources you can keep your life support systems, multi-tool and drive system on your ship fully powered, and with those three things operational, it'll be hard to find yourself in trouble. Also, don't forget to scan and catalog all plants when on a planet. It's easy to forget about them since the animals are more obvious, but uploading discovered flora also gives small rewards that can add up if you do it enough.

Art Blade

thanks for the tips :)

I suppose Plutonium is more "cost effective" than Carbon, isn't it?

And I found something I renamed and wanted to show you.  :-D

[smg id=8899 type=preview align=center caption="head banger"]

Art Blade

I am too scared to try to fry those annoying surveillance drones. Do they grow back or something like that, as in would that call an army that will annihilate my poor existence?

So far, I wandered around and nearly got lost in a bloody cave. No mini map with a dotted line to show me my way out, hehe. I found some site with modules to walk in, like an abandoned science lab if a small one. Found some transponder of sorts that I used my bypass chip(s) on and unlocked points of interests such as a monolith, a shelter, some observatory and an operations site.

Going to explore the planet I'm still on before going anywhere. :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳