Smoking eggs and other things

Started by PZ, April 01, 2016, 10:12:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I know the Big Green Egg isn't a pellet cooker, but I used an A-Maze-N 6-inch with cherry pellets so it counts, right?  :P

We had about a dozen of Easter eggs left, so my wife used some of them for egg salad sandwiches, and I convinced her to let me have 7 of them for pickled eggs. I wanted to kiss them with cherry smoke first, but did not want to start a pellet cooker just for 7 eggs, so I was looking for a small container that I could use as a smoker - the BGE Mini was calling my name. The plan is to smoke the refrigerated eggs for about 1.5 hours, then into a quick pickle solution for that acid bite that we love.

Here's the A-Maze-N loaded into the fire box of the mini
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Eggs loaded and ready to go

Plenty of smoke in the fire chamber if this is any indication

Temperature remained less than 100 degrees in the box as measured by a Thermoworks probe

Done, and ready to go into the pickling liquid.

While the eggs were smoking, I started the pizza oven just because the weather was so nice

Sun dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, fresh mushrooms, olives, feta, and Mozzarella - we got lucky with the crust, it felt almost like a laminated crust that was crisp, yet tender and chewy with lots of structure.

Meanwhile my sweetie was making her favorite European bread - thick crispy crunch and light tender interior.  We can't buy bread like this in our area.

Art Blade

We can't get any other bread over here in Europe.  :-D

Interesting setup there for the eggs.. and it makes me grin to keep seeing tech toys such as that Thermoworks probe :-() :-X

I believe you when you say that pizza was good but judging from the pic, I wonder, was there any edible layer between burnt and frozen? :laugh: 8-X Saying that because it looks charred black, lava red and ice white. ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

:laugh:

Yes, looks are deceiving - nothing was frozen, and none was burnt - it was all fresh.  The red is sun dried tomato, and the white is cheese, and although it looked charred, it was only slightly so, just the way we like it  :-()

Art Blade

ah, alright, I see.. you love to chisel off the the black stuff inch by inch and then you enjoy the remaining tender regimen portion of what even other people might recognise as remnants of a pizza :-()

With preferences like that, I was just thinking, what would be your reply to "brushing teeth and flossing?" I reckon, "hell no, we sand-blast instead." :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

My goodness, no - that is what makes a wood-fired pizza delicious.  ^-^

Art Blade

agree, it it's not really burnt but just brown and crispy, it's all good :)

Dweller_Benthos

The black stuff is the olives I believe. We used to have an excellent wood fired pizza place near me, but it closed for some reason a few years ago, best pizza around. Now they are all the generic pizza oven places that are OK, but nowhere near as good. I'm not ambitious enough to make my own pizza oven and cook in it.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

get the material and invite PZ over. He is.

PZ

:-D

Yep the black lumps that look like coal are olives.

Here's a wood fired portable pizza oven: http://www.trustedreviews.com/uuni-2-wood-fired-pizza-oven-review

Dweller_Benthos

Cool, but let me rephrase that, I'm too lazy to build a fire to cook pizza. hehe
D_B

PZ

Art Blade

nexor

No sweat D_B, PZ will even do that for you as long as you promise him a piece of the pizza 

Dweller_Benthos

If I'm ever in Idaho, I'll be sure to swing by, lol.
D_B

PZ

Anytime, D_B - we'll fix you up with plenty of good food  ^-^

Tags:
🡱 🡳