Funny moments in fo4

Started by mandru, March 24, 2016, 12:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandru

I'm currently playing with Deacon as a companion and he's constantly coming up with wise cracks.

While I was looting a body as we were clearing a raider infested building he commented something like "Grab all you can.  It will make for a good payday.  Uhh... I do get paid...  Right?"

But the best laugh out loud moment I had in game so far was a result of my setting up strong defenses for each new settlement that allows me to go into construction mode.  I'd just completed a phalanx of heavy machine guns, power generators, heavy laser cannons, and missile launchers on high elevated platforms for one such settlement.  Walking the workshop's available construction perimeter looking for weak spots in my defense structure I noticed that a nearby location had several super mutants who were themselves working their own near by farm.

I potshotted one of the super mutants off his outlook perch and the rest of them (howling and screaming) along with their two mutant hounds came boiling across the road that separated the two adjacent properties.  At first I didn't know what was happening and wondered what kind of hornets nest I'd kicked when the air around me began to sizzle with live fire.

Then I noticed that none of the wall of destruction was aimed at me but rather the super mutants and company.  None of them made it across the road other that the various bits and pieces that were blown off of them.  >:D

I spent quite a bit of time after that walking the settlement's perimeter non fatally shooting every various fo4 denizen that showed itself to draw them into range.  Bugs, mongrel dogs, and I was even able to lure one of those mutant bear things and I guffawed every time each and every one of them fell before my wall-o-death! 
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

sounds as if you've got a pretty decent fortress :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Dweller_Benthos

Haha, I love it when my automated defenses do the dirty w@&k for me. I was out having fun when I got a message that one of my places was being attacked by ghouls,  and I fast traveled back there. When I arrived, I heard the sounds of miniguns spinning down and the last few shots from a turret and got the message that I'd helped save the settlement. Nice w@&k me, I thought, just by arriving, they turn tail and run. More likely they got shot to pieces, but you get the drift.

Mandru, what settlement was that with super mutants so close? I just set up Finch Farm and the gunners at the Hub City wrecking yard make good target practice from the elevated highway that you can build on from that settlement.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

mandru

If memory serves it was Breakheart Banks that was the super mutants farm and I think it's Greentop Nursery that's just across the road S.W. from there.

I just recently revisited that area and the map said Breakheart Banks had been cleared.  As of yet no super mutants have respawned and there is not a workshop or the ability to turn on construction mode at that location or I would have set up defenses to smear any intruders that tried to resettle.  >:D
- mandru

Dweller_Benthos

Ah, Breakheart, OK I know that place. I had actually cleared it quite a while ago, and just recently got a quest from a settler clear across the map who said they were having problems with the mutants from there. Not Greentop who are right next door, but I think it was Abernathy or even Sanctuary who were having problems with them. That part of the game is kinda weird, like the time Abernathy said they were having problems with ghouls - all the way from Four Leaf Fishpacking. You almost can't get further away.
D_B

mandru

Yeah the goofballs at Greentop send you all the way over to Jamaica Plain as if it's a personal threat.  ::)
- mandru

mandru

Funny can also mean weird, right?

I've been avoiding running out the story line in favor of exploring, building stats, rounding out buffs through perks, and picking up all the side missions I can find.  Following that process left me with a character leveled up to somewhere in the 70's before I'd gotten around to turning on the radio to see what was going on with that part of the game.  My thought was to run down the distress calls and shut of those transmitters to clear up the air waves.

I'm still having trouble with locating transmitters sources once I am close enough to pick up a signal.

From what I've encountered so far the source is an auto-repeat and the person or family sending a call for help are 200 years dead.  I get the louder and crisper signal reception for being closer to the source.  But a simple method of being able to zero in on a transmitter would be a lot easier that the trial and error method I've been using of first establishing a point along an X axis (North/South) for signal strength and then wandering back and forth on the Y axis (East /West) to find a radio that may be in a tunnel underground with a far distant point of access.

The process of finding the strongest signal and then walking in an expanding spiral to investigate possible points of access can be pretty time consuming.  That said, back home in Sanctuary which is the last place I thought I'd encounter distress call.  I picked up a fairly easy to use straight forward proximity ping where the closer you are to the source the faster the pings sound in the pip-boy and that's where it got weird.

There was no vocal element to the signal just the varying ping as I moved about trying to figure out what was going on.  It seemed that the signal was leading me to the Armor Workbench but that didn't make any sense.  I opened and closed the workbench both in build and transfer modes a few times but there wasn't an system announcement or any indication that I'd met some obscure requirement.

Finally in small degrees of fine tuning my search effort I established that the ping was centered on the last thing I expected.

Possible but unresolved spoiler

Mama Murphy!  ???

Upon her request I'd built her favorite chair found in the "Special" section (it pops up as a new category leading the familiar construction line-up options once she asks for her comfortable chair) and once it was in place she's planted herself in it and not moved since.  She now just sits there expecting me to provide drugs so she can engage the "Sight" which I've been avoiding and as yet I've not added the perks to be able to persuade her to go clean.  She gets quite angry with me when I push her on it so it looks like I'll need Lady Killer and more charisma to get her to go clean.

It's possible the ping is coming from that special chair but excluding that it seems that Mama not only has access to being able to glimpse the future but is capable of emitting a distress beacon.  :o

- mandru

Dweller_Benthos

That is weird, I never got a radio ping that I noticed, from that source. But I only turn on the radio when I get the message that a new signal has been found, or turn on a radio booster tower. I still have to find a few of them, and matter of fact, the two skeletons on the mattress picture I posted in the screenshot thread was one of them.

But going back to the source of your signal,
Spoiler
giving Mama Murphy drugs only really helps in one case. She will give you some information that will come in very useful much later in the main quest line. After that, if you give her the last drug she asks for, she dies. Also, Preston doesn't like it when you give her drugs, so do it late at night when he's asleep.
D_B

mandru

Here's another weird and mildly annoying situation that arises in FO4.  Preston delivers yet another of the seemingly unending mission of a settlement in need of help but the 'talk to the settlers' mission marker is nowhere near the settlement you're supposedly trying to help.  ???

I had to fast travel to previously discovered locations 2 or 3 times to get close enough to the constantly moving mission marker to then be able to hoof it to the marker's location.  This is where I found out the the settler I needed to talk to was one of my assigned Provisioners on the trail between his appointed rounds.  Then I had to do that all over again to report back to him on completing the mission.

I've now had this occur a few times for different settlements since that first occurrence.
- mandru

PZ

I think you should murder Preston, mandru.  I've never trusted people with the name "Preston"  :angel:

mandru

Hmm...  Partnered up with Preston, lead him somewhere with no witnesses and pop him with a mini-nuke or three or four.  :-D

Good idea except for the fact that companions are basically immortal and heal up on their own given enough time.  He'd limp himself back into Sanctuary and rat me out as a turncoat.  :(

It appears that after you've liberated the Minutemen's Castle it looks like the additional settlement rescue missions are transacted through the now operating Liberty Radio Broadcasts and are purely optional as to whether or not you want to tune in on them.  If that works out to be true it means I can go back to free roving and maxing out affinity with some of the other possible companions.

The mayor of Goodneighbor has offered to become a running buddy and I think he would be a real hoot.  :-X
- mandru

Dweller_Benthos

The problem with the Castle radio transmissions, if you don't turn it on, eventually Preston will say "Hey the Castle has been trying to get you on the radio". Not that you have to turn it on, even then, but if you don't, settlements will start to be unhappy for no reason that you can see by looking at their stats. And when you do travel to them to see why they are so unhappy, someone will talk to you about getting kidnapped or having problems with attacks, etc.

I was trying to do a brotherhood quest last night, and I'd travel to the point to start, then get a message about an attack at Sanctuary, go clear that up, then try to start the mission again, arrive, get a message about the Slog getting attacked, clear that up, travel back, get a message about Sanctuary again, fix that, go back, then get a message about Taffington Boathouse. So eventually I did the quest, and was traveling somewhere and for some reason went past Finch Farm only to find them under attack (no message this time) and during that attack, the provisoner for them got killed, so I have to get another one. Luckily with the Automotron DLC, I can just build one.
D_B

mandru

Robo-Provisioners?   :o

Look in the dictionary for coolness and they show robots running supply routes equipped with a Fatman in one hand and a Spray and Pray in the other.  >:D
- mandru

Dweller_Benthos

Something like that, you can actually equip robots with fat man launchers, but they tend to be unstable and break. Laser guns and nail guns are my favorite, though a friend swears by dual laser gatling guns. On the sentry bots, you can have ranged weapons on the shoulder slots, plus melee or more ranged weapons on the arms.
D_B

fragger

Quote from: PZ on April 10, 2016, 09:27:03 AM
I think you should murder Preston, mandru.  I've never trusted people with the name "Preston"  :angel:

I've only ever known one Preston and he was a dick, so you're probably onto something PZ :-()

Art Blade

I've not yet come across any Preston so far but I can imagine how that might go:

- Hi, I'm Preston.

- *BANG* Sorry, not interested in making your acquaintance mate. However, I'll have the following inscribed on your tombstone: "Just extended some heartfelt greetings from PZ and fragger."
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Would you trust these boys in a dark alley?  One of them is Preston, and the other is Eustace

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

fragger

They look like they're straight out of Deliverance ????

PZ

:laugh: :-X

Scary part is that these are real people, not actors, and their names really are Eustace and Preston  ???

Art Blade

mandru

I'm currently partnered up with Hancock the ghoul mayor of Good Neighbor and I'd come across a comment that he and one of the other (female, I forget who) companions are into semi-nudity (doesn't matter to them if you're male/female) as a fast way to build up their affinity level.

The plan hinges on passing through a door that forces a scene change.  The door is the trigger where upon after 10 or so minutes you can go through the door again and receive another notice that (in my case) "Hancock liked that" but that long of a wait in real time is punishing so there is a w@&k-around  hack.  If you can sit somewhere and select the "Wait" option for 3 hours you can pass back right back through the door and trigger another affinity notice.  One of the best places to rinse and repeat this routine ("Your mission should you choose to accept it...") is in Diamond City moving between the sofa in Piper's living quarters and the red sofa in the Barbershop next door with as previously stated a "Sit and Wait" between.

I tried putting this into action.  So with Hancock in tow starting from Piper's I stripped to my skivvies and was out the door receiving a +1 from Hancock.  Passing through the barbershop elicited nothing but the typical sales pitch to set me up with a stunning new haircut and after the "Wait" I walked back into Piper's and yes I received another +1 from Hancock.

What I didn't expect was the "Ho ho ho... What I'd give for a camera right now!" from Piper as I strolled in.  :o

I maybe went back and forth 20 or 30 times and there were a few other gems from Piper Like "Blue!  Where are your pants?" and even some of her baseline comments took on a-whole-nother connotation considering the circumstances.

"Nothing stays covered up forever, at least if I have my way."  :laugh:
- mandru

Dweller_Benthos

Haha, that's pretty funny, I'll have to try that once I get Hancock, or Cait, as she is the other one that likes people being naked.
D_B

Art Blade

so they found a way to make it more interesting for you old pervs. :-()

mandru

Modesty is one thing but points are points.  \:/

:-D

- mandru

Tags:
🡱 🡳