Booting Windows 10 from an SSD?

Started by PZ, January 21, 2016, 11:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I've been reading where it is a good idea to disable Prefetch and Superfetch because both of those services were designed for platter hard drives that are slow.  In addition to freeing some memory, also cited was increased SSD life.  I did this and immediately noticed increased available RAM and decreased CPU usage.  Before my Surface Pro fan would come on due to high System usage (about 10-25%) sitting idle and now CPU sits mostly at 0% and 0% disk access when idle

Anyone know about this?

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Indeed - also read an article which reports that it is useless to defrag an SSD, thereby also increasing the lifespan of your drive.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2047513/fragging-wonderful-the-truth-about-defragging-your-ssd.html

Binnatics

I know that windows 7 and higher auto defrag your disc when you delete memory. So it keeps the writing speed high. I had vista, and vista didn't. Meaning that after several re-writes, the disc would get messy and with every new writing the disc needed to be sort of defragged first. That would downgrage the writing speed.

Maybe that has to do with what you mean by prefetch ????
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Prefetch uses a cache trick to help speed up programs.  From the Wiki
QuotePrefetching occurs when a processor requests an instruction from main memory before it is actually needed. Once the instruction comes back from memory, it is placed in a cache. When an instruction is actually needed, the instruction can be accessed much more quickly from the cache than if it had to make a request from memory.

Thing is that SSDs are so fast prefetch and superfetch are no longer needed so I turned off both as well as defragging.  PC appears to be running much better, and I have not noticed any kind of speed degradation - in fact, it actually boots to desktop and settles down slightly faster than before.  I'm definitely going to try this on my gaming rig which is also using W10 and an SSD as boot drive.

Binnatics

Oh, that sounds interesting indeed!

But I also use regular HDD's in raid. Would it be possible to set the options per drive?
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

I don't know where to change it anyway, BIOS or w10?
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Tags:
🡱 🡳