Windows 10 tips

Started by PZ, September 02, 2015, 10:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Thought I'd start a tips topic based on what W10 users experience.  Here's a strange experience:

I like to use a simple 4-digit PIN to log in rather than having to always type in a complex password.  In a recent update, that ability was broken - startup always required a password. The fix is to go to the PIN setup area, click on "I forgot my PIN", and then choose "Reset my PIN".

Once you delete your PIN, you can simply add it back and all should be working.

Stiku

Easiest way to get rid of the Win10 surveillance is to use this app:
O&O Shutup 10

PZ

Nice one, Stiku - just what I wanted. +1  :-X

Ironically on their site is the bold statement "Microsoft partner"  :laugh:

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Stiku

That means that they provide advanced support for MS based products, nothing else.
I too got certification for Office, Visual studio, Server, Sharepoint and SQL server.

PZ

Yes, but it is so much funnier to think of a company that produces an app that hacks into the OS being a partner of Microsoft  8-X :-D

Art Blade

[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

It's too bad it's aimed only at Win10 and not the Win7&8 privacy encroachments.  :(
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

there's always the NSA willing to take a close look at that privacy, safety and security nonsense. There's only a problem with those non-disclosure agreements..

PZ

Ran across Malwarebytes Anti Exploit, which is supposed to add extra layers of security around your browser helping to prevent exploits.

Anyone know about this application?

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antiexploit/?utm_source=cj&utm_medium=aff&utm_content=11830665&utm_campaign=AFF-CJ_2786910&tracking=cj

Stiku

Shields Java  :laugh: :laugh:
! No longer available

I only know the company, its a decent company producing popular malware removal and protection softwares.
Though I'd recommend you buy a proper full suite anti-virus from something like Norton,F-secure, Comodo, Panda, they usually have this same shield add-ons for the browser, and you get the added benefit of ontime updates, and usually great support for virus removals etc etc.

PZ

mandru

- mandru

Art Blade

PZ

Reads like if you opt out of automatic updates, you are relatively safe - no?

mandru

*Throws hands in the air*

Who knows anymore?  ???
- mandru

fragger

Turn automatic updating off anyway, if you haven't already. I prefer the option of reviewing the updates before they download, as opposed to having them download first automatically and then choosing which ones to install.

Whether this measure is sufficient to fend off MS' advances I don't know. Need can of cyber-mace >:D

mandru

Kicking Google to the curb and running searches through DuckDuckGo who bills themselves as "The search engine that doesn't track you" but I'm finding the accuracy and number of hits on a search term are often a lot less precise.

There's also The Tor Project which offers their own browser.  Under their "About Tor" link they describe themselves as a network of volunteer servers that routes your encrypted web traffic through a series of continuously random nodes.  That is to say that each time you connect with a specific target the node path will be randomly shuffled.  None of the intermediary nodes know the Source or Target and only the final node before connecting to the Target has the key to decrypt the web interaction and e-encrypt the information returning to the source (through that web interaction's set node path) all while never knowing the source of the inquiry.

The bounce between nodes out and back I suspect will add to the response times so I wouldn't suggest trying to Tor into an online game.

I compressed that description of the Tor networking process a lot and probably the foremost reason I haven't downloaded the Tor Browser is that I need someone who's more tech savvy than I am to give it a good check out to see if it's legit.  :-()
- mandru

Stiku

Something related to Dx12 games, some info regarding what games are coming with DX12 support and what games will be updated to it.
PC-Spiele mit DirectX 12 & Win10-Exklusivität: Games-Liste mit Ark, Hitman, Star Citizen und mehr

Yes, the article is in German language, but English language is pretty much 1to1 with it, so should be hard to guess the words with common sense.

Most intresting one is the DayZ, which should get a nice boost from this. But there is also Project Cars.

PZ

Impressive.  I noticed that there will be an ArmA 3 expansion pack that I'm interested in.

PZ

Quote from: Stiku on September 08, 2015, 08:10:59 AM
Easiest way to get rid of the Win10 surveillance is to use this app:
O&O Shutup 10

Have been using this since 9/8/15.  How do I remember that precise date, you ask? Because when I check for updates, W10 now reports my PC is up to date, and lists the check date as 9/8/15  ^-^

Art Blade

mandru

I updated to Win10 and my system has seriously slowed down.  I typically sleep my system at the end of my computing day waking it the next morning with a tap on the keyboard and basically only restart it when an update demands it.

In Win7 I could tap the space key to wake it and within 10 seconds have a new Firefox browser window open and a website pulled up.  Now it takes 15 seconds to get the Win10 "Sign in" screen that has to be clicked with my mouse and another 10 seconds to get the App screen (which I will never use) loaded up and then kicked the freak out of my way so I can access my Desktop.  :D

Opening browsers or starting a program I've known more spry and agile old ladies.  ???

I suspect it's all the worthless, non-relevant and "No I don't want to subscribe to your freaking Candy Crush" stupid stinking (cr)-Apps that came preloaded with Win10 that are demanding my CPU cycles.  I need some info  on butchering these processing rate hogs that are frantically gorging themselves out of the CPU cycle slop-trough once and for all getting them out of my system's way so I can reclaim some of my rig's previous nimbleness.

Why on earth does Microsoft think there's need for three different Xbox Apps (one of them animated) instead of one tile that will route a user (who might actually want  to access Xbox) to the service they desire?  ???

A couple Key Questions I'd like some feedback for from you more experienced Win10 users:

1. Some of the Apps when Right Clicked Offer the option to Uninstall and to Unpin from the Start while other Apps simply only offer Unpin.  Does Uninstalling (where available) pull the actual tooth or does it cut it off just below the gum line leaving the rotting festering root still tapped into my CPU w@&k load?

2. Does Unpinning from Start (on those Apps I can't nuke) stop them from opening and running in an idle state or does it just hide them?

3. Is there a way somewhere in the set up preferences to kill the "Sign In" screen so that when I am waking the computer after Sleeping it?

4. Any suggestions on kicking unnecessary processes (beyond Apps) out of the way to regain some system speed?

I also wanted to ask if Win10 has done anything about the poor routing and distribution of data flow over the processing threads for the CPU?

I know the Intel i7 CPU's have 8 threads and it always annoyed me when I would get a system notice about low CPU availability and I'd open the Task Manager and switch over to the Performance tab it would show the w@&k load on each of the eight threads.  Invariably the history would show all programs and processes running on one thread and the other seven threads were sitting virtually idle.

Unbelievable.  I just discovered another thing I don't like about Win10.  In asking that last question it occurred to me to try opening my new Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and switching to the Performance tab.  I'm horrified that the Performance display in Win10 no longer shows the 8 threads that are supposed to be running in an i7 CPU.  There's only one scrolling graph window that tells nothing about how the w@&k is being divided.  Wasn't this supposed to be AN UPGRADE???  :o

How are we supposed to be able to monitor this now?  >:((

You can no longer tell if you've got one ditch digger down shoveling in the trench while the seven other threads supervising are standing about leaning on their shovels so they look like they are working while only contributing occasional snide comments about hurrying up.  What is it Microsoft?  Did you intend to make the "i7" stand for a now undetectable "idle 7"?  :'(
- mandru

PZ

Looks like you've a bit of w@&k to do to clean up your system, mandru.  Not sure why your machine is running slow - I've installed W10 on 3 machines now, and all 3 have dramatically improved their performance.

I'll respond more when I get some time (need to run to w@&k), but in the meantime, click the search icon and type "settings".  Open that app and go meticulously through each of the areas, especially the privacy area and turn off anything that looks strange.  If you are unsure, post which one(s) and we can let you know what it affects

Tags:
🡱 🡳